Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anecdotal, and especially flawed data because only the most excited buyers will join Facebook groups, but a huge percentage of potential buyers are not Tesla people. I'd say that current Tesla owners seem to be in the minority. That's very exciting as not only does that mean CT may sell very well, but as those people join the brand they might convert their 2nd cars to Tesla in the future once they see the light.

Among my own friends and acquaintances that trend continues. I have several long time friends/family who weren't jumping into a Tesla despite my evangelism, but who have deposits down on the CT.

Steven doesn't say much that most of us here don't already know, but he packages up a lot of info and analysis very compactly which is perfect for people who aren't so clued-up.
Yup. Love his videos though.

Last edited:
This particular form of advertising is called product placement.
While the product is placed, that's not truly product placement. Product placement refers to inserting your product in a film, video, picture, or other type of viewable medium where your product isn't the main item being viewed. It just happens to be the beer the character is drinking, the shoes they're wearing, or the car they're driving. It doesn't refer to a vehicle exhibited in a car show.

Case in point was the use of a Model S in the next to last episode of Person of Interest where the Machine "drove" Finch across the country and when he arrived at his destination, the valet was amazed there was no one in the driver's seat! That was brilliant!

I plan on getting a boat in the next couple of years(the size of the boat will depend on the size of Tesla....in market cap value lol)

I would absolutely love to buy an electric boat with Tesla's new batteries it. I've been secretly praying that Tesla will either do a boat on their own or partner with a boat manufacturer to incorporate their batteries into a boat model in the next 2-3 years
get. a sailing boat !!!

The BBC have had a generally negative slant towards Tesla and Musk in the past, here's an article I missed from last week which is quite the opposite:

How Elon Musk aims to revolutionise battery technology

Maybe even more refreshing is the comments section, which is usually dominated by climate-deniers and general cretins. In this case, they're one receiving-end of reason for once.

The swirls are probably in the SS because that's how they wanted it to look.

[snip]

With a rough texture you could mask off portions and polish just those portions to a mirror finish to create a water scene, a racing stripe or a subtle company logo. The only limit is your imagination.

If that's how Tesla wanted the frunk to look, on a showpiece model, somebody missed the mark, IMHO.

You are thinking old-school paint, perfection and tradition, etc. Times are a-changing. Not as many people put perfection on a pedestal anymore - it's about what resonates and what makes sense. There is something liberating about not having to babysit a fragile and expensive paint job.

No, I am thinking that with none of the other panels displaying swirls, at least in the pictures we've seen here, there is no logical reason to intentionally create the hot mess I see on a portion of the frunk. Changing times? Please. This may make sense and resonate with you, but I feel you'd find yourself in the minority.

CTFrunkSwirls.jpg

If that's how Tesla wanted the frunk to look, on a showpiece model, somebody missed the mark, IMHO.

No, I am thinking that with none of the other panels displaying swirls, at least in the pictures we've seen here, there is no logical reason to intentionally create the hot mess I see on a portion of the frunk. Changing times? Please. This may make sense and resonate with you, but I feel you'd find yourself in the minority.

View attachment 554960
Maybe those swirl marks are there because it's one of the most commonly touched panels in the truck but I could be wrong. I know if there was an ergonomic surface for me to feel the SS it would be the frunk lid.

WTF happened to battery Day being in Buffalo???? I was all excited to road trip.

It was never supposed to be there. That was a company day event, that probably got cancelled as a result of COVID-19.

Also...what's going on at GF2, just solar tile production? Would love to see Panasonic restart standard panel production there.

They make energy related electronics. So things like the Superchargers, and I think Power/Megapack electronics/inverters. And of course they make, or just assemble, the solar roofing tiles.

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
While the product is placed, that's not truly product placement. Product placement refers to inserting your product in a film, video, picture, or other type of viewable medium where your product isn't the main item being viewed. It just happens to be the beer the character is drinking, the shoes they're wearing, or the car they're driving. It doesn't refer to a vehicle exhibited in a car show.

Case in point was the use of a Model S in the next to last episode of Person of Interest where the Machine "drove" Finch across the country and when he arrived at his destination, the valet was amazed there was no one in the driver's seat! That was brilliant!
You're using a narrow definition of product placement. The functional effect of placing a Cybertruck in a museum is all the same as any form of embedded marketing. Specifically, it raises brand awareness and stirs interest in the product. You can substantiate this directly by the responses to the post. People here were very excited to see this placement and what it says about Tesla and Cybertruck. People are passing these images on social media further amplifying the market benefits of this placement.

One of the advantages of embedded marketing is that people are often not consciously aware that they are being advertised to. They simply walk away with a stronger feeling for the brand or product as a consequence of their exposure. Musk is actually very adept at embedded marketing.

Remember a few weeks ago that two Model X were used to transport astronauts to a SpaceX launch. Boring Company has for sometime shown us Tesla vehicle whisking through tunnels. Perhaps the ultimate product placement was launching Elon's Roadster into space. All these create durable images within are minds that link Tesla vehicles to exotic travel experiences. They raise brand awareness and create enthusiasm for Tesla products.

Of course, Elon is a clever enough fellow to tell us that he doesn't believe in brand marketing or doesn't pay for advertising, and yet scholars of marketing will be studying his brand building techniques for quite a long time.

You're using a narrow definition of product placement. The functional effect of placing a Cybertruck in a museum is all the same as any form of embedded marketing. Specifically, it raises brand awareness and stirs interest in the product. You can substantiate this directly by the responses to the post. People here were very excited to see this placement and what it says about Tesla and Cybertruck. People are passing these images on social media further amplifying the market benefits of this placement.

One of the advantages of embedded marketing is that people are often not consciously aware that they are being advertised to. They simply walk away with a stronger feeling for the brand or product as a consequence of their exposure. Musk is actually very adept at embedded marketing.

Remember a few weeks ago that two Model X were used to transport astronauts to a SpaceX launch. Boring Company has for sometime shown us Tesla vehicle whisking through tunnels. Perhaps the ultimate product placement was launching Elon's Roadster into space. All these create durable images within are minds that link Tesla vehicles to exotic travel experiences. They raise brand awareness and create enthusiasm for Tesla products.

Of course, Elon is a clever enough fellow to tell us that he doesn't believe in brand marketing or doesn't pay for advertising, and yet scholars of marketing will be studying his brand building techniques for quite a long time.
I'll give you that placing it in an art museum is a narrow form of product placement (my bad, I originally thought it was in a car show). But it certainly isn't advertising. And I stick with the accepted definition of product placement is in an arena where it's in the background, not the featured piece.

Peace?

• Funny
Reactions: chrsk and jhm
This particular form of advertising is called product placement.
Product placement is part of marketing, but is NOT advertising. Considering how racially important marketing is to Tesla, we should know the difference. Tesla does not advertise, at all! Tesla does have highly developed marketing, mostly oriented towards Word of Mouth, generally considered to be the Holy Grail of Marketings and just about as easily found. Tesla is the only manufacturer of consumer durables that has achieved that. Product placement, on the other hand, is very common, almost always at significant cost. Tesla does not pay for product placement, thus is found less often than the other brands, which often pay for placement.

I don't want to go off-topic. The marketing functions at Tesla are highly significant to investors. Why? Because Tesla Gross Margins are ~300-500 basis points higher due the the highly efficient Tesla marketing programs. Not coincidently those functions at Tesla do to carry traditional names. If they did, they'd probably have had people in charge who would have failed my Channel Management class, but they'd be full of Harvard, Stanford and Columbia MBA's.

View attachment 554960
Perhaps if the camera lens wasn't cleaned with emery cloth...

I'll give you that placing it in an art museum is a narrow form of product placement (my bad, I originally thought it was in a car show). But it certainly isn't advertising. And I stick with the accepted definition of product placement is in an arena where it's in the background, not the featured piece.

Peace?

Those attending have taken hundreds of pics of the Cybertruck up close and posted them on the internet. This is really the first time we have seen up close pics of the truck and in detail. Free advertising without Tesla paying a dime.