Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR - yes. But read further for details.

I bought SCTY call options as an arbitrage play during the merger, so have direct experience here.

The option become a less-liquid "new" option that retains its original value, but becomes very hard to trade, because it's not listed as normal. For TDameritrade, they show up as "ns" (new stock?) options.

So if the stock splits 8:1, your option becomes a special option for 800 shares, instead of the usual 100. It should be valued accordingly, but because it's no longer well understood, the bid-ask gap becomes wider, so you'll lose a little more when selling.

Also, the auto-calculated gains/loss gets mucked up to the point that you have to calculate it yourself to be sure. Doing that for the 11 SCTY to 1 TSLA exchange was brutal!

I held some of those new “TSLA1” LEAPS for 2 years until close to expiration. Only worth 11 shares each contract but might have been my most profitable option trade by percentage because SCTY options were especially undervalued at that time. Bid-ask spreads were relative wide when they were farther out but tightened to pretty much normal as they got closer to expiration.

Unfortunately I cannot remember exact details, but I actually lost a bit on SCTY options at the time. There was some ratio that had to be exceeded, and I was just under that ratio for some conversions. Too bad I cannot recall...but I do recall noting to self if I hold options going into a meter or acquisition, just sell off before.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
How about just a little smaller? Last time I read these same words, (and I think from you), I bought 2 calls, but now unwinding a bit. SP in either direction is looking good as I'm ready to pounce on the next "real" dip. So not left behind, just balancing for the times. If the market tanks this year, Tesla will get dragged down with it as we've seen many times. And who is going to employ all those people out of work when the $600/wk runs out... Amazon? Not Tesla I can assure you. Uber/Lyft? McDonald's is doing well (and they're hiring, still).

Will the bank stock buying scam continue until Q4? Nobody knows, but pretty sure they're juicing it up ahead of the big drop hoping for something close to pre-covid times (IMO, I doubt that's possible). If it hits, Shares + Cash to buy more could look genius in hindsight. It's a different strategy, but getting there is more certain and direction is everything.

But times have changed.

TSLA tanked with the market last Feb and March due to fears of indefinite shutdowns and recession destroying demand. Tomorrow Tesla will likely prove both those fears were unfounded. Covid destroyed ICE car demand, but not Tesla's. If recession tanks other stocks again, where will investors run with their money? To cash when the Fed is printing like a hurricane?

Money is already running to stocks proven to be Covid-proof, including TSLA. And don't forget all the positive catalysts that put TSLA at the top of that category: new factories, stunning reviews of Model Y, years of backlog for Cybertruck, slaughter of EV competition, S&P 500 inclusion, Battery Day, a mountain of Tesla Energy sales peeking over the horizon, and the steady emergence of FSD and the robotaxi tsunami.

Of course no one knows, but I highly doubt TSLA will be cut in half again, at least not by Covid. Waiting to "pounce on the next 'real' dip" is too risky for me. I'm all in with cash and some margin. If TSLA tanks again, I will max out my margin. But that event will take more than Covid. Seeing something "many times" is no guarantee it will happen again.

Every week, more and more investors are realizing Tesla is a juggernaut that cannot be stopped. FUD is no longer working. Shorts have been flame broiled. Governments are ramping up EV incentives. Climate change is getting hellacious.

Tesla is not the same company as a year ago or even four months ago. And the pace of their progress is accelerating.

One of my buddies bought a SINGLE stock at 178, the very lowest.

Then, when it dipped for Coronavirus, bought ONE more stock at 378, the low point of that dip!

Talk about timing.

I think it went lower than that during the Coronavirus dip, I recall buying a chunk at $365 and another same-sized chunk at $356.

(just double-checked and that's correct, both on March 18th)

Elon Musk congratulates Tesla employees ahead of Q2 deliveries report

“Just amazing how well you executed, especially in such difficult times. I am so proud to work with you!” read the email in its entirety.

AH already up 9.37 to 1129

CNBC Article said:
According to a consensus of analysts surveyed by FactSet, as of July 1, Wall Street expects Tesla to deliver 72,000 vehicles for the period. (Estimates range from 39,000 to 86,000 units expected.)

There is an analyst with a delivery estimate of 39k for the quarter? o_O

Get your popcorn ready...
https://twitter.com/arkinvest/status/1278444978054877189?s=21
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.14.50 PM.png

Elon Musk congratulates Tesla employees ahead of Q2 deliveries report

“Just amazing how well you executed, especially in such difficult times. I am so proud to work with you!” read the email in its entirety.

AH already up 9.37 to 1129

I was wondering what got leaked now. I don’t know how the MMs can prepare for TSLA’s volatility. Tomorrow AM should be fun, so much anticipation.

Is it July 2nd morning yet? My f5 key will be ready to work overtime tomorrow. Cheers

Only if you are a big whale or live in the US/UK. In many countries fractional shares are unavailable. And for small time hobby investors like me there is no way I can buy for $1122 with every paycheck. And after 11-12 months of saving $100 I may have $1122 but what is the TSLA share price then? No more TSLA for me I guess.

NIO $7.88 - Chinese EV maker
VLKAF $159 - Volkswagen have a few EVs
NKLA $65 - Nikola is not very tempting
RNLSY $4.82 - Renault make the popular Zoe EV
NSANF $3.74 - The Nssan Leaf is an EV pioner

None of these are temping as a replacement for TSLA. But I did buy a little NIO.

Woodford Reserve 750ml $26.99 - now this is more promising! Are 4 a month enough?
If for no one else the Board or elon or myself should split the stock 20:1 for you (and people like you). From here on out TSLA could easily go up more than $100/month. And thus not allow people that believe in the stock to buy it unless they "were rich enough."
It should be done on moral grounds.

Someone just asked what Tesla would do when the world complelety runs out of lithium, and instead of pointing out that the world is never going to run out of lithium, Elon replied that all questions would be answered on Battery Day. Could he possibly be saying they have a plan for a non lithium-Ion battery? That's technically what he just said.

https://twitter.com/bipulh/status/1278427328696238083
here is exactly what the Twidiot posted:
"What would Tesla use when earth’s lithium stockpiles are completely depleted. I hope that day doesn’t come sooner than when crud oil meets the same fate."
o_O Let's hope we never run out of crud(sic) oil..well unless we are on the last starship to leave the planet.

ARKInvest should not give him a bigger stage or any legitimacy. I think this Nikola scam will crash and burn faster than I anticipated. Fools and their money are soon parted...

An off thread topic.
Completely disagree. They would dismember and decapitate him in a legit live discussion and the clown knows it.