Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about $500 - $1000 each sitting in cash in multiple accounts that can't be transferred to 1 account (without triggering negative tax consequences)

My brokerage doesn't do fractional shares so can't do that.

I was going to buy ARKK, for the TSLA exposure - or another innovative company rather than sitting in cash.

I found these ETF's that contain TSLA

https://www.etf.com/stock/TSLA

Wondering what fellow TMC'ers do in this situation. Any recommendations to get more innovative growth exposure like TSLA or fractional TSLA via ETF?

You should also look at BPTRX for Tesla and SpaceX exposure

I am so looking forward to coming back to this page after Q3 earnings. I would gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm confident I'm not..........but I have this page bookmarked now to revisit :)

Or you could sell a Nov 20, '20 $2000 Put today for about $635.
They do not like seeing that your portfolio outperforms their experts' by several fold. If other customers get wind of this that would ruin their business... So they want you to stop, because you are making them look very bad (in terms of financial performance).

It's much simpler than that. Investment advisors have a fiduciary responsibility to advise their clients to diversify. They have logged the repeated phone calls, and should you or your heirs try to complain about them, they will point to your refusal to accept their advice.

In California, it's the law: Breach of Fiduciary Duty | Los Angeles Securities Law Lawyer.

What are fiduciary standards and duties related to diversifying a client's investment portfolio?

I have about $500 - $1000 each sitting in cash in multiple accounts that can't be transferred to 1 account (without triggering negative tax consequences)

I was going to buy ARKK, for the TSLA exposure - or another innovative company rather than sitting in cash.

Wondering what fellow TMC'ers do in this situation. Any recommendations to get more innovative growth exposure like TSLA or fractional TSLA via ETF?
Don’t know how you feel about mutual funds. Baron's Partners Fund (BPTRX) is currently 30% TSLA (and 4% SpaceX!). You can buy any dollar amount.

edit @jbooker beat me to it.

edit2: I bought a small amount June 1. Up 31%.

Last edited:
Nope not at all. I was implying you can’t compare Tesla to other OEMs. To me it just doesn’t make sense to do that. I’m implying that Tesla will eventually have higher margins than other OEMs because of the software they sell and who knows we might see that in Q3.

OK.

But, we were talking about justifying a $2,000 share price on the basis of Q3 results.

• Informative
Reactions: capster

ARKQ has slightly more TSLA than ARKK. ARK Innovation ETFs

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-21_15-34-24.png
    upload_2020-7-21_15-34-24.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 54
So what?

Two can play at the pull response out of context game.

Sure, ok. Do notice I wasn’t the only one who thought your metric was irrelevant.

There is a reason you’re getting pushback. Carry on. My bet has been placed for a long time and so far I’m winning substantially despite any predictions you make, and despite how smart or stupid or powerful to pull the purse strings The Market gets credit for.

Is advice for those who haven’t learned the lesson yet; you won’t always get lucky timing the market and for that you will pay dearly.

Long and strong, and impervious to sky falling tactics by any and all.

Thanks for the great idea. I also have loose change and no clue what to do with them. Just dumped them in ARKK. Timing seems right due to the dip, and better than cash doing nothing.

I will agree with you that 2020 Q3 results *ALONE* do not justify $2000.

However, I think this pandemic has helped the market realize what's happening. As likely the only automaker with a profit in a pandemic when half of the quarter's production was shut down, the market is starting to realize there's something special here. That, battery day, and S&P500 inclusion, are likely the drivers of the recent price movement. But many invest for the future potential of a company, and the world is finally just starting to see it after years of blindness at Tesla's potential.

Market is saying they want to purchase shares in the company showing potential BEFORE all of that potential manifests itself. Otherwise, they missed the boat.

My belief is that most of TSLA's $600 price appreciation since Q2 deliveries were announced is due to S&P 500 front-running. Everything else is in the noise.

If you really think Battery Day is creating multiple hundreds of dollars worth of TSLA share price, then you need to go back and see how Autonomy Day went for the stock. At best, Mr. Market's expectation is that Tesla can use the same million mile batteries that CATL will sell to other OEMs.

And I'm surprised I have to say this, but note that I'm not expressing my opinion of the value, I'm expressing my opinion of Mr Market's opinion.

How much are all the car manufacturers, dealership networks, service centers worth?

How much are all the gas stations, refineries, oil transportation, refineries worth.

How much are the insurance companies worth?

How much are the internet service providers worth including the cellular services?

I am pretty sure a lot more then the company that is coming in and taking a sizeable percentage of each.

Indeed, the media loves to harp on the market capitalization of Tesla vs. other automakers. As you suggest, vertically integrated Tesla should actually be compared with the net worth of all the businesses you list. Tesla's market cap pales in comparison with the combined value of all the companies working in sync to compete with Tesla. Thank you for the reminder.