Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW if teslas vision system is as good as that post makes it sound, then it has multi-billion dollar potential in probably a dozen different industries (im being very conservative there), that have nothing to do with cars or energy.
Its so frustrating as a brit that I cant get a model Y yet (I still have AP1 on my 2015 S), and that the EU stupidly dumbs down autopilot here, presumably waiting for germans to catch up...
I don't think it does? The performance of any given NN is based both on architecture and the training data used. Tesla currently has such a high performance system not because their architecture is all that special (it isn't, see talks by Andrei Karpathy for details), but because they have access to the best/most varied training data for the task at hand *by far*.
If they switch to a truly innovative NN architecture in the future, this in of itself won't have much value in other vision applications beyond automotive, unless you can also figure out how to get a training set that's similar in quality to the one Tesla get's through the fleet for their application. This seems very difficult to me for many of the applications that CV would be useful for, so architecture really is only half the battle, if even that.

Reactions: ZeApelido
TMC investor keyboard.
3D988E19-7061-42E4-BA9B-691977AE5F5B.jpeg

Looks like the goalposts have been shifted to a consensus teeny-weeny profit.

The article itself is one of the most bitter things I've ever read, the woman has issues.

upload_2020-7-22_21-51-16.png

Some choice bullshit, sneery, smeary, FUD extracts:

During the period ending June 30, 2020, Tesla grappled with the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and widespread civil rights protests on its employees, customers and U.S. factory operations, especially.

Tesla will need to spend significantly to move forward with plans for its all-electric Tesla Semi, million mile battery, trapezoidal Cybertruck, Full Self Driving systems, and to build new factories it has promised shareholders, including one outside of Berlin and another in the middle of the U.S., for which it obtained a promise of tax incentives.

To safeguard its bottom line in the middle of the global health crisis, among other things, Tesla furloughed thousands, temporarily suspended contract assignments, slash salaried employee pay by 10% to 30%, and to delay annual performance reviews in order to avoid giving promotions, bonuses and pay increases to employees until the end of July.

Tesla employees are still building the Model Y with a mostly manual process, in a tented assembly line at the company’s Fremont, California car plant, as CNBC previously reported. As a result, Tesla is has struggled quality control for the Model Y, much as the company did at the start of production for the Model 3.

Super cool - thanks for such a great explanation of the vision system.

It sure seems to me that if Tesla masters FSD many of the constituent technologies (like the vision system you describe) have plentiful applications beyond robotaxis. I haven't seen too much discussion of the value this could add to Tesla's business. For example, if Project Dojo is task agnostic (i.e. can train neural networks for applications other than driving), wouldn't that be a really valuable service product in the same way AWS is to Amazon?

Can't wait for my Tesla vacuum!

• Funny
Reactions: canoemore
Looks like the goalposts have been shifted to a consensus teeny-weeny profit.

The article itself is one of the most bitter things I've ever read, the woman has issues.

View attachment 567712

Some choice bullshit, sneery, smeary, FUD extracts:

During the period ending June 30, 2020, Tesla grappled with the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic and widespread civil rights protests on its employees, customers and U.S. factory operations, especially.

Tesla will need to spend significantly to move forward with plans for its all-electric Tesla Semi, million mile battery, trapezoidal Cybertruck, Full Self Driving systems, and to build new factories it has promised shareholders, including one outside of Berlin and another in the middle of the U.S., for which it obtained a promise of tax incentives.

To safeguard its bottom line in the middle of the global health crisis, among other things, Tesla furloughed thousands, temporarily suspended contract assignments, slash salaried employee pay by 10% to 30%, and to delay annual performance reviews in order to avoid giving promotions, bonuses and pay increases to employees until the end of July.

Tesla employees are still building the Model Y with a mostly manual process, in a tented assembly line at the company’s Fremont, California car plant, as CNBC previously reported. As a result, Tesla is has struggled quality control for the Model Y, much as the company did at the start of production for the Model 3.

It is the most begrudgingly bullish thing she's ever written.

So there is that.

Bought ARKG last October at $28.xx for a 99.9% gain and
Bought ARKQ last August at $31.xx for a 71.9% gain.

With TSLA gaining steam last year I figured it was only a matter of time before investors started to figure out how smart ARK was in analyzing disruptive tech stocks.

Cathie Wood is one of the most underrated investors. She is consistently at or near the top, something very rare in the investment world.

Cathie Wood, the Best Investor You’ve Never Heard Of

Her actively managed Ark Innovation ETF is the best performer among 584 funds with at least $1 billion of assets in the global equity market, crushing the likes of BlackRock with a return of 165% (income plus appreciation) the past three years, and she beat 99% of them since Ark Investment Management LLC became a registered investment adviser in January 2014, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.