Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hitting on all phases?

I agree there could be a missing group of language descriptors. What HD has done with torque vs HP with their motorcycles may be instructive. They connect torque with riding pleasure/joy in the riding experience. EVs performance delivers this.

Competing motorcycle vendors lead with HP for performance rather than torque. HD has struggled a bit with torque since HP is a vastly superior descriptor. HD is correct but left with this slightly nerdy term of torque. The vernacular usage sometimes replaces torque with “grunt” but this is not a winner either.

I think we are stuck with torque but it can be embellished a bit. I love the rocket term Max Q. We should bring that over to EVs.
Some people complain about language evolving, others complain about language not evolving.

If Tesla never does dividends, then stockholders will ultimately never get any return on their investments. It would be a pyramid scheme in which stockholders hope to sell at higher and higher prices, with later buyers having to hope the pyramid continues to grow. At some point, years from now, Tesla has to find a way to return profits to shareholders or the whole structure will be at risk of collapse.

GLD

If it’s not a Tesla, you’re a moran.

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.59.04 AM.png

If Tesla never does dividends, then stockholders will ultimately never get any return on their investments. It would be a pyramid scheme in which stockholders hope to sell at higher and higher prices, with later buyers having to hope the pyramid continues to grow. At some point, years from now, Tesla has to find a way to return profits to shareholders or the whole structure will be at risk of collapse.
Maybe at some point, Tesla will find a way to share profit with stockholders at POS. Couple hundred dollars in my brokerage account, along with an automated sales report email sent to my inbox everyday would be dope.

Something to consider:
I sold a significant portion of my TSLA shares in late 2013 to pay off my P85 and solar panels. I had more than doubled my money and was pretty proud of myself. I have continued to accumulate since.
Looking at the share price today, my P85 and solar panels roughly cost me of about $1,000,000.00.

I don't think this matters much. I think the main 3 causes of the dip are:
  • Profit taking. Happens after pretty much everything earnings. Even after Q3'19, which I consider Tesla's best ER during the 5 years I've followed it from 2015 to 2020.
  • Macros. Macros were terrible the last 2 days, and tech/growth stocks were hit particularly hard.
  • Delta hedging requirements. This table from @generalenthu shows that the # of shares market makers need to be delta neutral on TSLA, dropped from 42M pre-ER, to 29M right now. Market makers won't delta hedge 100% of this, so they probably didn't sell quite as much as 13M shares over the past 2 trading days, but they dumped at least a couple million shares.
Looking at that delta hedging table, if TSLA rises $200 back to $1,615, market makers will need to buy 14M shares to stay delta neutral, if MMs were short 100% of open interest, and delta hedged 100%. In reality it may only amount to a couple of million shares being bought by market makers, but either way this 14M number is very large.

Considering this, if macros are good at the start of next week and any sort of buying pressure shows up, I think we're in for a very big move upwards.
@FrankSG, thanks for your response. Very helpful.

10,000 Model 3s.
I was doing the math too. Really implies battery production is picking up significantly. Maybe the pause at Fremont also opened up a spare 30-40,000 cars worth of batteries in Q2. Really shows another benefit of the battery business, helping increase and smooth out demand for batteries. With Pack business taking off, even if there is another covid shutdown, of some sort, the battery business would likely keep running. Great for supplier planning, knowing they can plan to grow as fast as possible for years to come.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
Maybe at some point, Tesla will find a way to share profit with stockholders at POS. Couple hundred dollars in my brokerage account, along with an automated sales report email sent to my inbox everyday would be dope.
I am of the opinion that Tesla can spend the money more effectively, to greater ends, than I can.
When that is no longer the case, I will be looking for dividends.