Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's this I see? A MMD in an attempt to paint the 10-Q as worrysome? I'm trembling!

This will be bought up just like the nonsense yesterday.

TSLAQ, Gordy, and friends:
pissing-in-the-wind-image_orig.jpg
Indeed, there's a lot to like in the 10Q, such as increased rate of recovery of deferred revenue.

Reactions: JusRelax
There is nothing inherently "luxurious" about having a display behind the steering wheel - in fact it's about the stupidest place to put important driving information, especially since steering wheels rotate while driving and most are now adjustable for better ergonomics. The only reason it seems like a natural place is because cars have had speedometers behind the steering wheel since before any of us were born. That doesn't mean it's better.

I've put a few hundred miles on two different Model S's and two things struck me:

1) The display behind the steering wheel is difficult to use. The steering wheel obscures it as it rotates and the best driving ergonomics with the adjustable steering wheel do not correspond to the line of sight to the display (at leas for me). There was only one steering wheel adjustment where I could see the entire display and this was too high for driving comfort. Luxurious? That's funny!

2) The inside ambience of the Model S is like a cave compared to the Model 3. I'm 6'-4" tall and the roof where it meets the top of the windshield intrudes into my driver space and reduces visibility upwards when trying to look at traffic lights up above. It also reduces forward visibility when the car is descending a steep hill that then flattens out. Compared to the Model 3 which feels open, airy and liberating, it just feels repressive and claustrophobic. This sense is enhanced by the high doors (the windows do not extend downwards enough and the top of the door is too low). I had to lower the seat all the way which made me feel like I was sitting on a low sled and yet it did not solve these issues.

You must have a different idea of what luxurious means than I do. I could never get used to the closed in feeling of the Model S after driving Model 3's for 2+ years. And having important information displayed behind the steering wheel that rotates to control the cars direction is the definition of stupid. It worked better before power steering when wheels were huge skinny things but now that they are smaller diameter and must contain airbags, it's far from ideal.
We have found the subject that truly polarises this crowd....
What will MS owners buy following an MS interior refresh?

I pray this is a 30 second clock. Please. Please. Please. I can not take several days or even an entire week of ‘When TSLA going to be added to S&P?’ Nope. Can’t do it, even with alcohol.
There is a thread for that:
When will S&P500 inclusion be announced?

These 'Bloomberg Green' guys (owners of this twiiter acct) are factually wrong. Melting Actic sea ice does not raise sea levels because that ice is already floating. Only melting land ice (ie:Greenland ice cap, Antarctica) or grounded glaciers raises sea level.

Further they completely wiffed on the REAL THREAT of losing the Arctic sea ice: the albedo flip.

Then they say it could happen by mid-Century. It already almost happened in 2012 due to a month-long cyclone in the Arctic basin. This year is already well below where 2012 was on the sane date,

The US Naval Postgraduate School has a high resolution physics model which predicts 2028 +/- 5 yrs as the 1st Arctic sea ice-free September (defined as sea ice extent <1M km^2) since sattelite sensors can not detect shore (fast) ice reliably during the melt season.

Do you want real information and good discussion on Arctic sea ice? Join us over at Neven's Arctic Sea Ice Forum ( I was the 1st regular member there when it was created way back in 2013 - Owner/Admin accts are the first 3).

Caution: Off-topic b.s.'ing not tolerated by Mods there.

P.S. There's a cyclone the size of the Central Arctic basin with sustained winds of 100 kmh roiling the main pack ice as we speak:

View attachment 569783

#WhyWeFight #FossilFools
Well Since I somehow can't send you a personal message (Are you doing that to everyone or just me? Am I that "special!)
This was the most educational post I have read on this forum. Thank you.

Reactions: dww12 and Ipe
I think I am in same boat. Suddenly my options position has no value. It used to have a lot of value before Q2 results. Its either their risk management group or some kind of conspiracy where they are preventing retail investors from increasing their position

My TSLA trading account is 100% TSLA with about 30% of the value in options (mainly LEAPS) - I'm seeing something similar. The amount of margin extended to me since Q2 earnings has dropped precipitously.

My TSLA trading account is 100% TSLA with about 30% of the value in options (mainly LEAPS) - I'm seeing something similar. The amount of margin extended to me since Q2 earnings has dropped precipitously.

Am I reading this right that the amount of margin they are willing to extend to you after Q2 earnings has dropped significantly? You would think that this would have a direct correlation to volatility, but as everyone who held calls through earnings knows, implied volatility decreased dramatically after q2 earnings. Smells somewhat fishy to me. Who controls IV?

Am I reading this right that the amount of margin they are willing to extend to you after Q2 earnings has dropped significantly? You would think that this would have a direct correlation to volatility, but as everyone who held calls through earnings, implied volatility decreased dramatically after q2 earnings. Smells somewhat fishy to me. Who controls IV?

I don't think it is directly related.
Margin depends on Account value. However if your Call value decreased because of IV, then Account value would decrease and so would Margin.

(I have noticed this too, and a few times have had to manage a bigger margin as SP goes up, that suddenly changes due to drop in value)

1478 is good support.

Well, I took the plunge.
Bough 30 1530's for this friday when we were down 50.

NOT advice. I tend to lose on weeklys.

Nice. I had marked 1478 as a potential buying point and wanted to do the same but ended up doing the exact opposite. Yes, I meant to buy a couple of calls and sold calls instead :mad:. I'm glad I realized it quickly and closed out the positions without too much damage.

Last edited:
OT, yet ice

Melting sea ice does raise water levels, but not as much as land ice.

Sea ice (nearly pure water) is in a bath of salt water which is higher density than fresh water. Thus, the volume of water the ice displaces is less than the volume of the ice when melted.
As a result, melting floating sea ice does raise the sea level by around 2% of its volume (2.6% maxish).
My mind thinks you are being too simple in your belief. The "fresh water" turns to saltwater. Actually in my mind the salt water might become a little less salty, but in turn how much volume is gained vs mass? And as the "sea" is continually becoming more salty..... or is it? Does the salt settle out at a certain level/percentage?
Dodger will know.
EDIT. Nevermind, Dodger did already.

B69D5E27-CB78-4410-A74C-FCB5C3C97863.jpeg

This!

At the risk of annoying myself by letting myself speculate :confused:, if they pretty much kept the S look and added a bit of the design on the front and back(especially the headlights and brake lights) from the new Roadster, I'd consider it a perfect design. I personally don't think much needs to be done. Just the small exterior updates and an interior updated along with the new drivetrain & battery.

Am I reading this right that the amount of margin they are willing to extend to you after Q2 earnings has dropped significantly? You would think that this would have a direct correlation to volatility, but as everyone who held calls through earnings knows, implied volatility decreased dramatically after q2 earnings. Smells somewhat fishy to me. Who controls IV?
My position is ~ 80% options and my maintenance margin assigns ~ zero value to options but they use my net position for excess liquidity percentage calculation which is obviously going to reduce my margin cushion. This started happening right after Q2 deliveries. My buying power went from 20% of portfolio to zero, despite stock price climbing 50% since then

You should try one. I much prefer the overall feeling of the Model 3 to the S. If you don't have a problem with the small display behind the wheel I would guess you're not 6'-04" tall. To me, "luxury" means it doesn't feel cramped. By this metric, the Model 3 is more "luxurious".

I'm 6'4" and I like S display...the wheel is easily adjustable to give me the proper portal to the screen.