Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about all you millionaires, but I'll now be buying a bunch of LEAPs on the split if SP stays flat or goes down. Probably a LOT of people in the same boat. That should make the MM at least have something else to worry about and hedge.
Of course the stock price will crash. Tesla isn’t worth a trillion $......yet

I'm saying that if you want to buy say a 2022 June leap at 20% above current market price, it would now cost 1/5th as much. Leaps are much more affordable now - a leap like that would have cost 10s of thousands of dollars before. This could be a bit of a negative for the SP since it will allow more people to buy leaps instead of shares on margin.
Not really what I meant unfortunately, I already hold (mostly) LEAPS. It would be tragic if tomorrow they're worth 20% of today's value.
Anywho, Stock splits and options - Option Trading FAQ is suggesting "In general, adjustments are made for options whenever there is a stock dividend, stock distribution or stock split." I was just wanting clarification on the "stock dividend" part.

Please stop with the stupid questions and angst. A stock split means nothing. It is defined to leave everything as it is. Everything will be either multiplied by five or divided by five to leave all things involving value the same. A share will represent only 1/5 as much of the company as it used to, and it will be worth 1/5 as much. All options will be adjusted appropriately. Nice for people with little money to invest, but such investments don't amount to much in any case.

About the only effect I can see it might have is that if all stockholders have to engage in some moderate paperwork (by way of their brokers) then it could leave shorts in a tricky position. I have no idea what that might be. Worth considering, but probably meaningless.

Wait, really? So does that mean that a short seller has to buy 4 shares on the open market and deliver them to the lender? They don't get the benefit of the dividend stock split, right? I guess it doesn't really matter if the stock price drops by 80%

But what are the tax consequences of a stock dividend vs a normal split? They shouldn't be any different I suppose...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: T@oo
From ir.tesla.com:
"Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock"...
is this a normal.l stock split? "dividend" sounds different. this is very important for Out of the money calls and tax related issues.

• Informative
Reactions: T@oo
damn... I am going to sell on news. A split? how does this help SP 500 inclusion? :p
and... a 5:1 split seems not enough... 1400/5 = 280 still feels too high to many people.
In that case I usually recommend some nachos and putting some cartoons on.

So short burn of the century?
That is interesting actually. A regular dividend goes to the actual owner of the stock, and this is a dividend so...

Reactions: oldTAVguy
Please stop with the stupid questions and angst. A stock split means nothing. It is defined to leave everything as it is. Everything will be either multiplied by five or divided by five to leave all things involving value the same. A share will represent only 1/5 as much of the company as it used to, and it will be worth 1/5 as much. All options will be adjusted appropriately. Nice for people with little money to invest, but such investments don't amount to much in any case.

About the only effect I can see it might have is that if all stockholders have to engage in some moderate paperwork then it could leave shorts in a tricky position. I have no idea what that mighty be. Worth considering, but probably meaningless.

Well, wouldnt all shorts have to cover? As a short position in effect sell a share twice.. but only one owner will get the extra shares?

I'm saying that if you want to buy say a 2022 June leap at 20% above current market price, it would now cost 1/5th as much. Leaps are much more affordable now - a leap like that would have cost 10s of thousands of dollars before. This could be a bit of a negative for the SP since it will allow more people to buy leaps instead of shares on margin.

MMs gotta delta hedge those LEAPS though.