Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is Tesla after-hours trading today and will be pre-market trading on Monday, an imminent S&P 500 Tesla announcement would seem unlikely.

I'll restate my original guess that if Tesla is to join the S&P 500 during the next few months, the most likely time may be after the close on September 18. That's the scheduled date for the next S&P 500 rebalancing. It's also a Triple Witching Day (quarterly expiration of options). The announcement of the rebalancing details should occur about a week earlier. Considering the relatively large capitalization of Tesla, its inclusion in the S&P 500 may be smoother for index funds if it occurs during a regular rebalancing.

Last edited:
Don't count your pennies before they're hatched (or something like that...).
What do you mean? Selling covered calls is all about getting your money now and kissing good-bye any potential highly remunerative future. You sell the covered calls and get money now. Your shares will get called away if the stock is above the strike price at the relevant date. When you sell covered calls as in this instance, with a high strike price way out of the money, you'll make a bunch of money on the stock too. It's all good, and it's all about now.

Of course if the stock goes up beyond your strike price you might be crying about how you could have made more, but you can't actually lose.

If everyone agrees it's really a "quantum leap" and the market concludes Tesla will achieve autonomy within a couple of years, this is not out of the realm of possiblity IMO.
This is what I’m saying. Who cares if it turns into a bubble temporarily, as long as we make moneys. Bubbles are good why do you think people like bubble baths

I'm someone who rode NVDA down from around 280 down to around 120 during the bitcoin crash back in 2018, because Nvidia and AMD video cards were heavily used to mine that trash and there was a short-term sales collapse when people stopped buying video cards to mine with. Since then NVDA has recovered and is now around it's current ATH of 510.

I'm prepared for TSLA to crater all the way back down to 400 if need be. I have my hedges in place, you can't kill me with a 50% decline in share value over what ended up being nothing, because I've already been there. And that was before TSLA's Corvid flash crash back in March, all the people who panic sold that crash are kicking themselves now. You'll pry these shares from my cold, dead hands!

I’m curious as to what hedges you have.

Since there is Tesla after-hours trading today and will be pre-market trading on Monday, an imminent S&P 500 Tesla announcement would seem unlikely.

I'll restate my original guess that if Tesla is to join the S&P 500 during the next few months, the most likely time may be after the close on September 18. That's the scheduled date for the next S&P 500 rebalancing. It's also a Triple Witching Day (quarterly expiration of options). The announcement of the rebalancing details should occur about a week earlier. Considering the relatively large capitalization of Tesla, its inclusion in the S&P 500 may be smoother for index funds if it occurs during a regular rebalancing.

To add some color to that, in June, the additions were announced on the Friday prior to the rebalancing. For September, that would mean an inclusion announcement at 5:15 Eastern on September 11.