Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FINRA Short Selling Report for Wed, Sep 02, 2020

"Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting was 7.23% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 90th Percentile (very unlikely to occur by chance).

Note in the table below that last week had historically low levels of Naked Shorting: Avg was 0.63% for the week

View attachment 583693

The SP was down -14.7% intraday today after triggering the 'Uptick Rule'. Market Makers and Hedge Funds routinely flaunt SEC rules by exploiting their exemption to naked short selling for Options market makers (SEC Regulation SHO).

Especially note that today's level of naked short selling was predicted in advance due to the mechanism of Options Market Makers being used by Hedge Funds to exploit Regulation SHO to manipulate TSLA's share price.

Certain members of this forum seem unaware that the value of a theory is in its ability to predict events. Today's FINRA data strengthens the theory that Naked Short Selling is being used to manipulate TSLA.

This is NOT new. It has been discussed on this forum for years. It is just now that certain members are beginning to understand these mechanisms and take the issue seriously. THIS MATTERS. Over $25B of Shareholder value was extracted from the Market today by Hedge Funds via exploiting SEC Regulation SHO.

Prediction for tomorrow: Thu Sep 03, 2020
  • With 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling will be in the 7-9% range as reported by FINRA
  • the Report Data at this link will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 03, 2020
#SEC #BROKENREGSHO

I've been curious about the sales marked "short exempt" since reading through the Key Points About Regulation SHO on the SEC's website a few weeks ago.

Under the rule, an order can be marked “long” when the seller owns the security being sold and the security either is in the physical possession or control of the broker-dealer, or it is reasonably expected that the security will be in the physical possession or control of the broker or dealer no later than settlement. However, if a person does not own the security, or owns the security sold but it is not reasonably expected that the security will be in the possession or control of the broker-dealer prior to settlement, the sale should be marked “short.” The sale could be marked “short exempt” if the seller is entitled to rely on an exception from the short sale price test circuit breaker.

My interpretation of the bolded part is that sales should only be able to be marked "short exempt" when the "short sales price test circuit breaker" aka "the uptick rule" is in effect:

• Rule 201 – Short Sale Price Test Circuit Breaker. Rule 201 generally requires trading centers to establish, maintain, and enforce written policies and procedures that are reasonably designed to prevent the execution or display of a short sale at an impermissible price when a stock has triggered a circuit breaker by experiencing a price decline of at least 10 percent in one day. Once the circuit breaker in Rule 201 has been triggered, the price test restriction will apply to short sale orders in that security for the remainder of the day and the following day, unless an exception applies.

Yet, somehow there are orders marked as "short exempt" every trading day, albeit a relatively small amount on days that "the uptick rule" is not in effect.

Investopedia has the exact same interpretation:

exempt.jpg

This seems to state that a "short exempt" sale is not necessarily a naked short sale, but rather a short sale on a downtick while "the uptick rule" is in effect. But then how can there be sales marked "short exempt" on days when "the uptick rule" is not in effect?

Does anybody know what I'm missing here? Or have an explanation for this?

I think battery day will be seen in a different context to autonomy day, which tanked the stock, and I’m not selling into the event.

Although Autonomy Day produced a downward trend in the stock, TSLA was being valued on fundamentals. In this context, the vague presentation of the business case disinclined analysts and institutions to take it seriously. Dan Galves, in his interview with Tesla Daily said he was spooked by Elon saying that autonomy was basically their “entire expense structure”. Also, Elon presented the business case in a few slides at the end of the day, using $1/mile as a price that he had just picked out of the air.

Now the price is including more of the future value. In this context the battery day information increases the certainty of the business case, where battery supply is the critical path. Solving battery supply also opens up the battery storage side of the business to expand alongside vehicles, rather than in competition with the vehicle business for resources. So there is a potential upside to valuation there, or at least better support for current valuation (without relying on autonomy).

It’s the really young kids like 5-12 who point at my M3. One today was maybe 6/7 and tugging at his granddad to look ! I’m in Ireland. These are the future and it’s great to see

I see a lot of high school girls get excited when they see my Model 3 drive by when they are walking to/from school. They jump up and down, point it out to their friends and generally go crazy. I don't think they are from wealthy or highly educated families. The Tesla brand inspires young people and this will have a huge positive impact on society. Why? Because people need to be able to dream and they need a reason to be productive. I think a youngster getting excited at seeing a car that is ultra desirable but basically unobtainable (currently) has got to inspire some of them to go to college to get the kind of job that will allow them to buy the things that excite them. For many youngsters a Tesla is the most desirable material thing in the world. This has been going on at least 3 or four years so some of them are close to that age where they will buying their first car.

I have no plans to sell either of ours but, when we do, I'm definitely going to give preference (and a good price) to someone younger who seems to have their head screwed on straight.

TD Ameritrade has matched the $0 transaction fee of Robinhood but not the fractional shares functionality. So my reaction is the stockbroker equivalent of Standards

Transaction fees are so low they are essentially free everywhere. I think I pay $5 a trade at Schwab. Don't let $0 transaction fees enter into which broker you use. The price you get when buying or selling is more important. Way more important. If you use a limit order it cold be the difference between making the trade or not and if you use a market or market limit order as I do with most of my buys/sells the difference could be anywhere from a little bit to hundreds of dollars depending upon the size of the transaction. I have no idea how meaningful/accurate it is but Schwab almost always posts a "price improvement" number with each completed trade. It's often over $100. Some brokers rip you off or are not very good at executing the trade in a timely fashion.

I think battery day will be seen in a different context to autonomy day, which tanked the stock, and I’m not selling into the event.

Although Autonomy Day produced a downward trend in the stock, TSLA was being valued on fundamentals. In this context, the vague presentation of the business case disinclined analysts and institutions to take it seriously. Dan Galves, in his interview with Tesla Daily said he was spooked by Elon saying that autonomy was basically their “entire expense structure”. Also, Elon presented the business case in a few slides at the end of the day, using $1/mile as a price that he had just picked out of the air.

Now the price is including more of the future value. In this context the battery day information increases the certainty of the business case, where battery supply is the critical path. Solving battery supply also opens up the battery storage side of the business to expand alongside vehicles, rather than in competition with the vehicle business for resources. So there is a potential upside to valuation there, or at least better support for current valuation (without relying on autonomy).

Will there be any surprises at Battery Day? If not, it should be priced in already.

Will there be any surprises at Battery Day? If not, it should be priced in already.

You need to think about events being "priced in" in terms of probabilities. Right now, a small fraction of dedicated retail investors have priced in great expectations for battery day. Most institutional investors will have priced in mediocre expectations. And all of the TSLAQ lot are constantly pricing in bankruptcy. The current share price is the amalgamation of all of those expectations at once.

On battery day, those probabilities will collapse into certainties. And those who have priced in incorrect assumptions will lose out.

FINRA Short Selling Report for Wed, Sep 02, 2020

"Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting was 7.23% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 90th Percentile (very unlikely to occur by chance).

Note in the table below that last week had historically low levels of Naked Shorting: Avg was 0.63% for the week

View attachment 583693

The SP was down -14.7% intraday today after triggering the 'Uptick Rule'. Market Makers and Hedge Funds routinely flaunt SEC rules by exploiting their exemption to naked short selling for Options market makers (SEC Regulation SHO).

Especially note that today's level of naked short selling was predicted in advance due to the mechanism of Options Market Makers being used by Hedge Funds to exploit Regulation SHO to manipulate TSLA's share price.

Certain members of this forum seem unaware that the value of a theory is in its ability to predict events. Today's FINRA data strengthens the theory that Naked Short Selling is being used to manipulate TSLA.

This is NOT new. It has been discussed on this forum for years. It is just now that certain members are beginning to understand these mechanisms and take the issue seriously. THIS MATTERS. Over $25B of Shareholder value was extracted from the Market today by Hedge Funds via exploiting SEC Regulation SHO.

Prediction for tomorrow: Thu Sep 03, 2020
  • With 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling will be in the 7-9% range as reported by FINRA
  • the Report Data at this link will become available tomorrow after 3:30 PM EDT, Sep 03, 2020
#SEC #BROKENREGSHO
Since you say that "today's level of naked short selling was predicted in advance" perhaps you can point to the post where that was predicted, along with some notion of what it would do to the stock price. Me, I don't care about this at all if it has no effect on the stock price.

Since you are predicting for tomorrow that "Naked Short Selling will be in the 7-9% range as reported by FINRA" does that mean something for the stock price? What has happened to the stock price on previous days where there was that range?

I assume you mean "flout" when you write "Market Makers and Hedge Funds routinely flaunt SEC rules".

Reactions: MaxPain and Thumper
I found this page on the S&P site regarding methodology. Near the bottom are a bunch of spreadsheets, one of which is the rebalancing calendar for equity indexes. Here's a snapshot:

View attachment 583673

If I'm reading that right, the actual file with the new balances for the 9/18 rebalancing is sent to SPG's customers after the close on 9/4. I assume any related additions/removals would be announced at the same time.

Note that announcements related to the previous rebalancing (6/19) were made on 6/12, the date listed for the proforma file in that calendar. Note also that both the June and December windows are one week between proforma and effective dates, but the window for September is two weeks.

If you found this, the big boys know about it. So, might expect two more days of SP suppression to 1) lower the starting point for the infinity squeeze, and 2) shake loose shares (increase float).

Same thing, I guess.
First time I've seen this document. If it's sitting right there, I must admit to being somewhat mystified that all the "experts" discussing this haven't simply pointed to it. Of course, weeks ago it wouldn't mean that they would wait until rebalancing to announce inclusion, but at this point that seems extremely likely. And it doesn't seem as though they can leave it for after rebalancing either.

So, Tuesday will very likely be the day that we learn the effect this has on the stock price. I can see a variety of ways this process could have been gamed, but I expect that increasing demand while decreasing supply will force the stock price up for at least the short term.

It’s the really young kids like 5-12 who point at my M3. One today was maybe 6/7 and tugging at his granddad to look ! I’m in Ireland. These are the future and it’s great to see

Yeah, the kids in my neighbourhood are the same. They wave, or sometimes pump their fists. You can tell the really young ones, like 6 or 7, have heard the older ones talking - for them it's like seeing a spaceship.

Yeah, the kids in my neighbourhood are the same. They wave, or sometimes pump their fists. You can tell the really young ones, like 6 or 7, have heard the older ones talking - for them it's like seeing a spaceship.

I love this. Haven't encountered it yet personally but I'm sure I will. I love seeing other Teslas on the road even when I'm in mine.

Sometimes I still can't believe I actually, finally...have my Tesla Model 3!

With 'Uptick Rule' in effect, Naked Short Selling will be in the 7-9% range as reported by FINRA

Can you explain this please? Is naked short selling still allowed when uptick rule is in effect? Or just like regular short selling, naked shorts can also short on a uptick?

I seem to recall SP mostly rising every time the uptick rule has been in effect but I think you are implying that it could actual go down. Is that right?