Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that is sort of a mistery to me is why they are ramping up the 3 so slowly?

We've heard from Elon that demand is not a concern and they are not even thinking about it;

We heard that 7k/week is achievable with minimal capex like a quarter ago from some analysts who took a factory tour and then the same from Elon;

We know that 7k "extrapolated" was achieved back in December 2018(paint shop) and comfirmed by Elon yesterday.

Then why target EOY 2019 for 7k/week? Shouldn't they be interested in ramping up quicker and making more money and helping environment by putting more M3s into the hands of people?

My guess:
  • They just do not have space in Fremont to expand capacity (maxed out)
  • Shanghai will take the 3k/w that leaves 7k/w for NA/EU so you are at 10k/w
  • Adding Shanghai and Fremont you are at 500k p.a. already and GF4 in plan
  • With Y and Semi in GF1 they have enough projects to execute on for 2019
So in short they already ramping as fast as they can. Also lets not forget the GF4 in Europe that we have not heard about but will happen. That one will likely produce all 3 variants for EU as well as in a few years the Y.

Cost. Cost. Cost.

They want to ramp up efficiently and sustainably - not by just throwing money at it, like they did in 2018. That is the way they can have high margins even with SR.

BTW, Green, again.
But MINIMAL capex? Doesn't that imply they hardly have to spend any money to get 2k/week more? They can always sell more cars in 2020 with better margins if they keep improving costs during 2019.

Truly honest question here. Does Tesla even need to care about what the stock is doing any more?
YES !

As EM explained, sock is a major part of the compensation of employees - and when the SP is high, they feel well compensated. When it is low, they feel not paid enough.

This is the reason large highly profitable companies - like Apple or Microsoft - with a lot of cash care about stock price.

I'm still so confused by the SP reaction. Every single bear theory has fallen by the wayside. All I see now is "oh no, the CFO left after coming back and getting the company running well. This must be the end!"

^^^
Precisely! I-Pace buyers are deciding between that and another Jag. E-Tron buyers are going to buy that instead of an A-6. All of which expands EV adoption without any impact on Tesla. That's my investment theory in TSLA as far as autos go.
Yup. I actually think more competition will provide a positive pressure on Tesla shares. I don't care if they lose market share of EVs, as long as they are selling more and making more $$.

YES !

As EM explained, sock is a major part of the compensation of employees - and when the SP is high, they feel well compensated. When it is low, they feel not paid enough.

This is the reason large highly profitable companies - like Apple or Microsoft - with a lot of cash care about stock price.
I think it's less so than before. Sure SP is a feel good thing and assists in compensation, but now Tesla is more or less self funding. Smart employees would trade better long term SP options for a short term bonus I think.

Reactions: Tslynk67
I’m curious - how long can Tesla only produce M3 for Europe and China? They must really be close to clearing out the US inventory soon. (Not the worst thing to happen if they are about to switch to V3 Autopilot Hardware.)

Seems the NA demand is gone. They have Approx. 7000 in inventory. That could last for some time.

"This is a strong indication that demand in the U.S. for both the mid-range and long-range Model 3 versions has largely been exhausted, and the company is still working through the estimated ~6.8k of unsold Model 3 inventory,"

Last edited:
DyQmeQ8XQAQ_OFO.jpg

StatsTesla on Twitter

My guess:
  • They just do not have space in Fremont to expand capacity (maxed out)
  • Shanghai will take the 3k/w that leaves 7k/w for NA/EU so you are at 10k/w
  • Adding Shanghai and Fremont you are at 500k p.a. already and GF4 in plan
  • With Y and Semi in GF1 they have enough projects to execute on for 2019
So in short they already ramping as fast as they can. Also lets not forget the GF4 in Europe that we have not heard about but will happen. That one will likely produce all 3 variants for EU as well as in a few years the Y.
Regarding space for 7k, did anybody take notice of this article: Tesla Model 3 Sales Shatter All Records In December 2018
It says a big chunk of the quarter's output was made in December, when we saw messages from Vicky like "doing 1,300/day sustained, getting close to 1,400"
InsideEVs estimates that Tesla sold an astounding 25,250 Model 3 in December 2018
That's like 6.3k/week, with the space not being an issue.

Shanghai is still a year away, during which time they could be selling 7k meanwhile.

Other priorities like Y and Semi do not seem to be competing, they could do these things concurrently.

• Disagree
Reactions: madodel and avoigt
Some time ago I posted about lessors to indirect auto finance which we considering setting up non-recourse leasing options that would enable originators (dealers, distributors or manufacturers) to avoid deferring income since they would have no credit risk or residual value risk.

That has happened. However, contrary to initial expectations Tesla will not be included. It seems that dealer groups, credit unions and small regional banks are easier initial targets for them. Presumably this might eventually include Tesla, especially since similar independent lease offerings of Teslas are already happening in some countries in Europe.

After going through the transcript and then catching up on the many insightful contributions to this thread, about the only significant nugget I came up with that has not been discussed is the China build out beyond 2019.

"...we're only just talking about Phase 1 here. Phase 1 is about 10% of what we think the Gigafactory will ultimately be. So it's a major, major, major deal."

If Phase 1 is 10% of the build out and equals 3000 cars week, then at full build out how many cars a week do we think China GF could produce? Of course some this future phases might include things like in house cell production not just more cars. Point is the long term China GF picture is a "... major, major, major deal." not just the 3k a week by the end of 2019 most people are focussed on.

Its all so obvious and hard to understand people who do not understand.

Maybe a picture does help....?

DyPUFqpUwAEnAZI.jpg:large

James Stephenson on Twitter

6 replies20 retweets50 likes

Shorts generally say, "That's not fair, you can't count the debt of their leasing unit - their leasing units makes them money!" Yeah, it's also an essential part of their business. I always repsond, "Is that how you want to play this game - just pretending that parts of your business that have lots of debt don't exist, and you can just cut them out of the comparison? Okay, let's pretend that Tesla's debt doesn't include the March convertibles because that's in Tesla Energy." ;)

GM's debt (and Ford's worse debt relative to market cap) is tied to the asset value of car leases, which is much riskier in a financial downturn.