Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just caught a CNBC interview with a Charley Grant from the WSJ. Total hit piece, acting like the company is in some sort of crisis! Never mind two profitable quarters in a row, #1-selling car, rave reviews etc. etc. etc. Just because some idiot says "I don't think the company would be hurt if Elon was no longer the boss" makes it a legitimate discussion topic with all their guests?

And the store closure angle... is too difficult for them to grasp. It's going to affect the company negatively. (according to them)

30minutes later they are interviewing the CEO of Radius Bank, which has no branches and is doing everything online. No pushback... no puzzlement... total support and smiles. Final statement "It's the future... that's where it's all headed. As goes Radius so goes everyone else."

I guess when your advertising clients are all suffering at the hands of Tesla, there's nothing you can do except be biased against them.

I wouldn't call James Anderson of Ballie Gifford an idiot, he seems like a very calm, intelligent chap, he was likely merely responding to a loaded question of "what if Elon was to be removed as CEO", and I think his answer is a good one.

No, the idiot here, is Charley Grant, he's an imbecile of the highest order.

One obvious reason to do an onsite demo for V3 supercharger is that it will self-connect to your car when you park (or when the car self-parks) at a stall. THAT would be cool and a serious bit of infrastructure value for all kinds of future stuff.

That's pure speculation on my part, but Tesla did show the snake a few years back - I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

If the "snake" happens, cue the bend-over jokes everywhere in the media! Which, knowing Elon, is exactly the type of half-joke, half-seriously impressive feature he would go for, attracting a whole load of free publicity in the process. Personally I hope it happens.

I wouldn't call James Anderson of Ballie Gifford an idiot, he seems like a very calm, intelligent chap, he was likely merely responding to a loaded question of "what if Elon was to be removed as CEO", and I think his answer is a good one.

No, the idiot here, is Charley Grant, he's an imbecile of the highest order.

I agree with your read of it being a "loaded question". His response was the one that was the least inflammatory in my mind.

Edit: By the way, I love the fact that no one is commenting on the elephant in the room right now. That is to say, the current wavelength interval of the visible light spectrum associated with the current perceived worth of a particular equity with which we are intimately familiar.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
That's pure speculation on my part, but Tesla did show the snake a few years back - I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

Yeah, so here's the secret and amazing background story of what became of the 'snake charger':
  • People found the 'Tesla Snake Charger' concept nice, but the 'snake' name was creepy to some:
  • So Tesla renamed it to the 'Tesla Trunk Charger':
    elephanttrunk.jpg

• But while 'Tesla Trunk Charger' was a nice name, there was an obvious naming conflict and eternal confusion with the car's trunk and frunk.
  • So they went for the other large appendix of elephants: their tusks, and hence the 'Tesla Tusk Charger':
    img_0291-e1512631210827.jpg
Disclaimer: any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events or temporary names where Elon Tusk was playing the fool on Twitter is purely coincidental.

If there's a S/X refresh, be prepared for another massive wave of complaints from recent S/X buyers. Potentially unpopular opinion, but I've been pretty annoyed with the entitled response from this vocal subset of Tesla customers, especially in light of the company's financial situation.

All that said, I don't think there will be a refresh announced at the SC3 event.
Tesla can NEVER change prices or add features apparently.

If there's a S/X refresh, be prepared for another massive wave of complaints from recent S/X buyers. Potentially unpopular opinion, but I've been pretty annoyed with the entitled response from this vocal subset of Tesla customers, especially in light of the company's financial situation.

All that said, I don't think there will be a refresh announced at the SC3 event.

Yeah, Elon flat-out said there are no plans for a 2170-based bty pack for S/X, so it would be pointless to introduce an interior refresh at the Supercharger V3 rollout event.

Why steal your own thunder? Some folks here are like giddy schoolgirlz. Lolz. :p

At least Android apps can only access their own documents by default, accessing other apps' files is a separate 'dangerous' permission that is prominently prompted for and has to be opt-in permitted by the user:

Permissions overview | Android Developers

"A central design point of the Android security architecture is that no app, by default, has permission to perform any operations that would adversely impact other apps, the operating system, or the user. This includes reading or writing the user's private data (such as contacts or emails), reading or writing another app's files, performing network access, keeping the device awake, and so on."​

(There's one hole I'm aware of in that principle: Android apps can access external web pages with no special prompting IIRC.)

Of course this assumes a non-rooted device and a freshly updated OS with no root hole - which are major sources of risk.

I am so far apart from the typical user, that no one here even realizes that I consider running Google's ("don't be evil") Android or the even worse IOS a showstopper. :-(

Yeah, Elon flat-out said there are no plans for a 2170-based bty pack for S/X, so it would be pointless to introduce an interior refresh at the Supercharger V3 rollout event.
My assumption would be that S/X would be able to use the V3 but just charge at the old rates. If not, every Tesla owner is going to be very unhappy.

If the "snake" happens, cue the bend-over jokes everywhere in the media! Which, knowing Elon, is exactly the type of half-joke, half-seriously impressive feature he would go for, attracting a whole load of free publicity in the process. Personally I hope it happens.

EM: And, finally, today we introduce a charging station designed for the shorts.

It’s funny that on the conference call, Elon mentioned a need for hiring in service, a push for technicians and all the financial media reports is that he’s firing people.

If the financial media was honest, they would know that physical sales and marketing have always been destined to be minimal since the beginning of Tesla. Elon and Tesla’s brand recognition is very high now in the US and abroad. When the “galleries” started, Elon was barely known outside of Silicon Valley, I remember his twitter following being 100K in 2012-13. Fast forward to 2019, he’s over 25M followers and breaking internet records on the most popular shows on the world wide web... and the internet is exactly where Tesla sells all its vehicles, not CNBC ad time, or the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

To add, now there are hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road, the word of mouth and customer satisfaction “the-car-sells-itself” translates into another layer of promotion and sales that wasn’t even existent 2-3 years ago.

In such an environment, store/sales personnel must consolidate, and service technicians and associated personnel must be drastically increased and Elon’s firm statement on the conference call reinforced a service focus mantra for 2019.

That means Tesla is hiring a lot of technical personnel, more jobs in the right places for the company to meet demand and thrive. Not a downsizing, but a required increase to meet the growth demands.

The reality is the financial news are afraid to go where the real big stories are in relation to Tesla. Why are nearly all autos, except Tesla, have declining vehicles sales? Why is Tesla experiencing 50-%100% growth in such a downward auto trend? The real elephant in the room for the financial news media is Elon Tusk and no one has the guts in that industry to really call out the majors and really dive into their lack of movement in the EV future for decades now, to have the courage to deeply investigate the lack of innovation, competitive spirit to put the consumer first. The fortitude to speak truth to power about the defensive posturing and monopolistic manipulation behind lackey hedge funds and financial warfare of our “hollowed” auto and energy establishment.

Elon Tusk is the elephant in the room. Until they have the gumption to tackle that, the financial news media is another PR firm on the Street.