Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall that when WiFi at hotels was introduced it was only at pricey hotels, and was almost always an add-on per-day extra, and they were crazy cumbersome to use: logging you out all the time, putting a quota on the number of connected devices, etc.. Then all the cheap hotels started offering it for free, some crappy but many quite good, and all of them easier to use than in the fancy hotels.

I am hoping for something similar with hotel EV charging, that the budget chains figure out they can get ahead of the curve for a small expense. Holiday Inn Express may be an example.

I think this is almost guaranteed to happen, it’s just a matter of when. Would be very surprised if Chargepoint hasn’t been bugging hotel chains for a while to install chargers. But Chargepoint is fairly pricey. And all Teslas have mobile evses, so they could just install nema 14-50 plugs on 40A breakers and be done with it. Cheap.

I think this is almost guaranteed to happen, it’s just a matter of when. Would be very surprised if Chargepoint hasn’t been bugging hotel chains for a while to install chargers. But Chargepoint is fairly pricey. And all Teslas have mobile evses, so they could just install nema 14-50 plugs on 40A breakers and be done with it. Cheap.
This is yet another service that accounting and billing overhead turns out to be more expensive than the service itself, so eventually it makes sense to just give it out for free to your customers, already happening as companies giving free charging to employees.
(I mean slow charging, not DC fast charging, yet, before solar brings down costs)

Thanks for the interesting article. I think the author is basically right, just a little ahead of himself. For example, EV’s ought to require less in the way of service but ask any service tech at Tesla if he’s ready to take over the reins from the Maytag Repair Man. Some day, sure. But not yet. And AI/automation is not killing traditional car makers. AI/automation is still getting in the way of mass producing EV’s (witness EM’s “we kind of over automated” statement). Some day, sure. But not yet.
Robin

I think you replied to the author of that article.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I can't read every page/post anymore as this tread is a bit 'off the rails'. so, this post may be redundant with what the collective here already know or have heard.

Many longs (afraid)...and most shorts (happy, spreading FUD) have discussed the 1 years Chinese loan feeling it is somehow 'out of line'.

I have seen it posted (and can attest from personal business construction loans) that this is NOT unusual. Most construction loans are for the amount of time construction is to take place THEN gets rolled into a longer term loan when construction is complete.

Or sign up with Tesla to get destination chargers. I talked with the guy who runs the KOA near Lassen. They have 2 of them and said they contacted Tesla after having been told about it by an owner that stayed there and he said it’s super easy. He reached out to Tesla and they just sent him 2 of them and had a guy come out and install them, all for free.

Or sign up with Tesla to get destination chargers. I talked with the guy who runs the KOA near Lassen. They have 2 of them and said they contacted Tesla after having been told about it by an owner that stayed there and he said it’s super easy. He reached out to Tesla and they just sent him 2 of them and had a guy come out and install them, all for free.

Is Tesla still doing this? I wasn’t sure if this program is still on going or not.

But how do they bill for the power used? Maybe a flat charge ($10.00) to use the plug?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Most of the cost is actually in wiring and site prep. Comparatively the EVSEs are inexpensive and provide the hotels with a way to make a few bucks.

But how do they bill for the power used? Maybe a flat charge ($10.00) to use the plug?

You don’t charge for it. Just as hotels don’t charge for WiFi now. Say an average overnight fill is 40 kWh, at $0.12/kWh, that’s about $5. Hotels would love to give $5 discounts to get rooms filled. You do have to factor in capital costs, but that could be zero for Tesla destination charging program. At any rate, you get the idea.

Almost correct. It was except for one time write-offs. Debt repayment is a balance sheet item (Using assets to reduce liabilities), it never affects the income statement (revenue less expenses). It does affect cash flow, but Tesla has no problem with cash flow.

Wouldn't the 6% across the board price reductions also de-value CPO vehicles in finished goods inventory and be the type of write-offs he was anticipating?

You don’t charge for it. Just as hotels don’t charge for WiFi now. Say an average overnight fill is 40 kWh, at $0.12/kWh, that’s about $5. Hotels would love to give $5 discounts to get rooms filled. You do have to factor in capital costs, but that could be zero for Tesla destination charging program. At any rate, you get the idea.

Guys I drive a lot and spend nights on the road only at hotels with chargers. They’re at both nice hotels and the 3rd tier places. With ChargePoint it’s not hard to identify which hotels have L2 installed. I’m driving on home using AP from a trip to Montreal and my Tremblant. In downtown MTL we booked a hotel without a charger since the overnight parking rate at the parking lot across the street was cheaper than parking at hotel. And the kicker, it had level 2 charging for $2.5/ full charge.
At tremblant we stayed at a hotel with 4 Tesla destination chargers and 2 J1772s. The hotel wa a bit further away from the mountain but had a shuttle service to get us to the base. The chargers dictated we book here. It was -28 celcius overnight and I’m happy to report no issues with my model 3 handles. Suck it Fredrick.

I think the point is in downtown city centres hotels don’t need chargers, but would make more from for parking if they did. The hotels on the road are stupid not to install and more improtantly maintain them. There is nothing worse than arriving at a destination only to find out the chargers don’t work.

Last edited:
With ChargePoint, you use your credit card at the ESVE, in some cases it will be zero if the property owner is covering the cost. For the destination chargers, all the ones I've been to are included with the price of the room.

Reactions: Thumper