Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But how did they process all the preorders for model 3 when they had 400k in like 24 hrs? FYI I've changed sides on Tesla now. Sorry I'm a bear and buying puts.
Those Model 3 deposits were a simple $1000 on your credit card and your name. The Model Y and Model 3 ORDERS is an order complete with version of car, color, and options. A bit more complex.

Within 20 minutes after the Y reveal, I ordered a Model Y. It took 3 attempts to finally go through. The site was getting hung up when I pushed the pay button. I had to check my credit card account to be sure I was not charged 3 times. But I found I was only charged once.

Last edited:
I'm seeing exactly what I want to see from Tesla: massive year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter growth and rapidly dropping production costs, enabling the company to move into price brackets representing ever-larger markets. Seeing what I want to see from Tesla is why I'm a bull.
Agree. We are seeing car deliveries, new products, FSD features, good feedback from site visits, all very tangible things. The demand doubts are also subsided. What are short not trying to see here? As someone (maybe the citron guy) said that while the world is distracted with all the theatrics around Elon, Tesla is killing the competition already.

Doesn't this say we need the shanghai factory online to manufacture above 500k a year?
Yes. Tesla used to talk about making 10k Model 3s per week in Fremont, but they changed that language last fall. They now call for a gradual increase in Fremont to 7k Model 3s per week by yearend. Plus another 3k/week in Shanghai once it's rolling in the Q4 of 2019 to Q2 of 2020 time frame. That's a total Model 3 run rate of 500k/year.

Their guidance implies 65k + 70k + 75k + 80k = 290k out of Fremont this year at the low end, maybe 310k at the high end. Plus another 0-20k out of Shanghai in late Q4.

Add another 70-100k Model S and X production for total 2019 vehicle production.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
Do you really expect Tesla to drop the price by $1,000 on their lowest cost/lowest margin vehicle to make it eligible for the incentive? (It was a whole different issue to drop the price by a $1 to make it eligible in other jurisdictions.)

Don't you think the price was set there specifically to exclude Tesla?

Is that under $45k limit for the base price of the car, or the actual sales price of the car including options?

I consider it entirely possible.

What Canada is attempting now with the Model 3 Germany did a couple of years ago for the Model S.

Tesla dropped the base price by 2k € (and had to deal with the German legal system), but got to sell the Model S with incentives - and naturally, the buyer could choose to get various options with their Model S. That is, choosing from the entire set of Tesla Model S options.

So for Canada, the question is:

To what extent can Tesla's ability to actually deliver the base Model 3 be limited without being deemed not actually having it for sale there?

I am convinced Tesla will try to answer that question.

Agree. We are seeing car deliveries, new products, FSD features, good feedback from site visits, all very tangible things. The demand doubts are also subsided. What are short not trying to see here? As someone (maybe the citron guy) said that while the world is distracted with all the theatrics around Elon, Tesla is killing the competition already.
For me to go long again I need to see actual margins, no store closures and no firing but hiring of employees. Also I need to see sustainable model 3 demand which I'm not as confident of yet ...plus decent margins on the short range $35k version oh and a lessening of service and lack of parts complaints. If these get resolved soon I think I'll go back to calls.

Most recent shipment for China was Asian King, departed Pier 80 on March 10, scheduled to arrive in Tianjin on March 24.
Vielen Dank! @lklundin

Since the last Int'l VINs were registered on March 6, we can estimate at least 3 days to produce this batch (allow 1 day to load the ship).

This analysis lends further credence to the theory that Tesla is now registering VINs just before production occurs (In this case perhaps just 2 days in advance).

This bodes ill for Bloomberg, who have already been shown to be retroactively covering up serious flaws in their estimates. Carsonight posted the screenshots on DISQUS: (combined+annotated below)

Bloomberg silently updated their 2018Q4 production 'estimates' on Jan 2nd, 2019 after Telsa announced actual results. The revision by Bloomberg was exactly 600 cars per week for the production rate during Q4, raising their production 'estimate' by 8,146 cars total for the quarter.

Bloomburg.2018Q4.before.after.announce.png

3 days later, Bloomberg then claimed on their website that their 'estimates' had been correct all along (see claim below). Of course, shortz and bears used the old, busted BB numbers throughout Q4 to drag on the SP, then just 3 days later Bloomberg tried to claim their numbers had been right all along:

Bloomburg 4th Q estimates off by less than 0.5 percent.png

Bloomberg never actually prints a single number for their estimate of 2018Q4 production, rather you have to compute that from Bloomberg's estimate for total production minus Tesla's previous production announcements:

Bloomberg's estimate for 2018Q4 production was (147,539 - 94,269) = 53,270. On their website, they write: "Bloomberg's forth-quarter estimate was off by less than 0.5 percent of Tesla's reported production."

In fact, Bloomberg's production estimate before the announcement was 13.2% below Telsa's actual production numbers as announced on Jan 2, 2019. Again, math is hard:

53,270 / 61,394 = 86.8%

Three days after Bloomberg retroactively edited their numbers, they claimed only a 0.5% error instead of admitting to the 13.2% error they actually achieved. HINT: it's no longer an estimate AFTER the numbers are announced. That's not a forecast, that's a HINDCAST, and they were still out by 281 Model 3s after they were given the results by Tesla.

Carsonight also notes that Bloomberg pulled the same trick with the 2018Q3 Model 3 production estimates, which is why he made before and after screenshots of the 2018Q4 estimates. You can bet that he (and others) will be watching carefully to see what Bloomberg does with its 2019Q1 estimates.

Its time we call out the financial media who are misrepresenting their data, and hiding their own role in the deceit.

Regards,
Lodger

Last edited:
Would it be accurate to say that institutional investors, handling other people’s money, would simply not be allowed to buy TSLA while this SEC cloud hangs around? Even if the person who makes the decision feels Tesla are a great buy?

That would explain a lot. It would also mean a fast climb once the case is ruled.
I doubt that would be the reason. I think the SEC and the store closings back and forth as well as the questions about demand are to blame for current price.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
I love FCs analysis and arguments but I think his expected result is highly unlikely. I think EM should prevail. However there will be no sanctions penalty or damages against the SEC or its lawyers. The worst that will happen to them is they will lose. If the Court is greatly upset by their position or misleading quote etc, there may be some language from the Judge reflecting her displeasure. I don't like it any more than you but there will be no pound of flesh recovered from the government. My greatest hope is a reasonable interpretation of the consent decree from the Judge, a finding that EM did not violate the consent decree and a critique of the SEC for bringing this as a waste of everyone's time and money.

What I’d like to see, but probably won’t happen is for the judge to find in favor of Elon and order the SEC to file any further such requests, in order to protect investors from their actions.

It’s clear at this point that their initial request for a finding of contempt was, at best, poorly researched(for example, the fact that they appear to have just completely missed Elon’s statements during the conference call is inexcusable). I have no trust at all in them to refrain from making false statements material to investors at this point.

Would it be accurate to say that institutional investors, handling other people’s money, would simply not be allowed to buy TSLA while this SEC cloud hangs around? Even if the person who makes the decision feels Tesla are a great buy?

That would explain a lot. It would also mean a fast climb once the case is ruled.
That is an extremely good question.
The answer is
"No. It is not accurate to say that II's are not able to make such purchases whilst the company is under SEC investigation. HOWEVER, it also CAN be the case that any particular investment management company has internal rules either prohibiting such or upping the due diligence required for such purchases. Another firm may have no such restrictions."

That stated, it also is the case that broad knowledge of SEC action - an inquiry, a court case, a fine, censureship and so forth - most definitely casts a pall on any company and on its stock price. Actionable, were the SEC movement either to be overturned or be found to have wronged the company or person in question? Aaaahhhh...ain't a gonna answer that one as a MOD wrote not many pages back - here: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable that it's mostly inappropriate to do so.

I consider it entirely possible.

What Canada is attempting now with the Model 3 Germany did a couple of years ago for the Model S.

Tesla dropped the base price by 2k € (and had to deal with the German legal system), but got to sell the Model S with incentives - and naturally, the buyer could choose to get various options with their Model S. That is, choosing from the entire set of Tesla Model S options.

Other problem: The Model 3 SR starts at ~$48k in Canada, not $46k. ($47,600) So they would have to drop it by $2,601, that is over 5%. So unless they really strip options out of the car I don't think that is possible. (And what is left to strip other than software?)

And I don't see that we have details about if the under $45k limit is before or after options. If it is after options then I say there is a 99.99999% chance that Tesla won't do anything.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Canadian federal 2019 Budget just came out. There's a $5000 federal EV incentive for EV under 45k. Model 3 SR currently sits at 46k. So if Tesla can somehow cut enough cost by about 1000 in the future, sales should pop more. Combined with the $5000 incentive already in BC that is $10000, Vancouver should be a hotbed for Tesla M3 SR.
How about make the air conditioning an option. It used to be that way 20 years ago on all cars.

Reactions: X Fan and Tenable
For me to go long again I need to see actual margins

Yeah, to heck with 20%, let's see 80%, right? Amirite? ;)

, no store closures and no firing but hiring of employees

Yeah, let's reduce production and S&P costs without reducing labour costs!

Also I need to see sustainable model 3 demand which I'm not as confident of yet

It's okay, lots of other people are also willfully blind to the world around them. No judgement. :)

First, welcome back @neroden.

Second, holy hell: Jaguar I-PACE: It's better than the Model Y and you can buy it now

This is what it’s come to; the financial media has started just outright publishing ads for Tesla’s competitors as Tesla news articles. “Better than the Model Y” is a pretty funny headline for an article where every spec listed is worse than the Y.

I love how "fair" a comparison this is: Model Y starting at ~$39k while I-PACE starts at $69.5k and the model they "tested" cost $86,145. They should have compared the I-PACE to the Model X based on cost and since the Model Y doesn't exist yet (things that exist usually "win" against things that don't).

Do you really expect Tesla to drop the price by $1,000 on their lowest cost/lowest margin vehicle to make it eligible for the incentive? (It was a whole different issue to drop the price by a $1 to make it eligible in other jurisdictions.)

Don't you think the price was set there specifically to exclude Tesla?

Is that under $45k limit for the base price of the car, or the actual sales price of the car including options?

not sure of the dettails, budget just came out. It is most likely there to exclude Tesla. Just like what Ontario did. Quite ironic how Progressive Canada will do this. But fear not, they've painted themselves into a corner as the limit is set now. $1000. AC'd work as there's an additional $100 ac tax.

But how did they process all the preorders for model 3 when they had 400k in like 24 hrs? FYI I've changed sides on Tesla now. Sorry I'm a bear and buying puts.

An order is a much more complicated process than a reservation. It almost certainly requires human processing for each order. An order will result in a change to the company’s accounting system in a meaningful way, ie. a sales order is created which will eventually be turned into an invoice, an accounts receivable, etc. No company would allow a $50,000 sales order to be input into their accounting system without manual review to make sure the data makes sense, wasn’t a hacking attempt, wasn’t likely fraudulent, didn’t have obviously spelling errors, etc.

Reservations, OTOH, are not input into the accounting system.

Last edited:
Hmm, this also raises the questions. Where did the SEC get this misquote? Who produced this misquote? What controls does the SEC have to avoid mishandling evidence? The concern here is that certain parties may be feeding the SEC with false and misleading information, and the SEC is not conduction a proper investigation to verify the accuracy of information from their sources. The SEC could be derelict in investigating a source that may be knowingly providing false information to the Government.

I was thinking the same thing: what "fire" does this "smoke" (misquote) lead to? Inquiring minds want to know :rolleyes:

Reactions: jhm