Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't need to drive, just pulling out of your parking spot will confirm this. Either way, that tweet was not about asking for help, she just wanted to complain. (which is her right of course)

Had exactly the same a few days ago. Was in a parking garage a few inches from a concrete wall... Decided to not test if I was already in reverse ;). Cold restart helped. Lucky that didn´t happen while I was in traffic.

I don't understand why we only talk about Tesla's huge data set vs Waymo by comparing their fleets, when Google gets millions of people doing free labelling works through Recaptcha. Daily. They've been collecting the data for many years already.

Just today, I had to detect, locate and label dozens of bridges, stop signs, cars, traffic lights, trucks, etc against my will. Just so I could login into an account, fill in a form, enable a feature, or access a webpage.

Tesla don't have that power.

Interesting point, but doesn’t some Google employee or someone have to validate that the answers given by any random person are correct? To verify the correct answer to allow access to the web page the person is trying to get to, and also to ensure that wrong answers don’t get transmitted to the AI.

While not ideal I would think your surroundings and experience would tell you how fast you are going. I can certainly tell within about 10 mph what speed I'm driving without having to look at the screen.
I had this happen when driving home with my M3 just after purchase and -- up until the screen went blank -- I was having difficulty managing speed because the throttle is so instantly and immediately responsive. Within about 10 mph isn't what I want and this was certainly distressing. I'm less concerned now because I know everything keeps working and because at highway speed I'm using cruise control anyway so knowing exactly what speed I'm going is not that material.

That said, I expect Tesla to get a lot of flack for this if it doesn't get fixed soon. The idea that your speedometer would just randomly stop working is not something most people would find acceptable, nor that your ability to control window defrosting can disappear -- and that definitely has the potential to prevent you from driving.

Personally? I'm comfortable with waiting for a fix. But I'm patient (sometimes too patient) and not everyone is that forgiving. To be honest, I'm not sure why NYT or CNBC haven't made a stink about this yet.

I don't understand why we only talk about Tesla's huge data set vs Waymo by comparing their fleets, when Google gets millions of people doing free labelling works through Recaptcha. Daily. They've been collecting the data for many years already.

Just today, I had to detect, locate and label dozens of bridges, stop signs, cars, traffic lights, trucks, etc against my will. Just so I could login into an account, fill in a form, enable a feature, or access a webpage.

That would be data *labeling*, not data collection.

I had this happen when driving home with my M3 just after purchase and -- up until the screen went blank -- I was having difficulty managing speed because the throttle is so instantly and immediately responsive. Within about 10 mph isn't what I want and this was certainly distressing. I'm less concerned now because I know everything keeps working and because at highway speed I'm using cruise control anyway so knowing exactly what speed I'm going is not that material.

That said, I expect Tesla to get a lot of flack for this if it doesn't get fixed soon. The idea that your speedometer would just randomly stop working is not something most people would find acceptable, nor that your ability to control window defrosting can disappear -- and that definitely has the potential to prevent you from driving.

Personally? I'm comfortable with waiting for a fix. But I'm patient (sometimes too patient) and not everyone is that forgiving. To be honest, I'm not sure why NYT or CNBC haven't made a stink about this yet.

To me the issue is simple: when have you *ever* before seen a "news" article in a business publication about a celebrity's car not starting?

But, of course... Tesla :Þ

That is one of Google's practices that I despise. However, there is only limited value to this labeling and I trust that Google is doing more behind the scenes.

I think the bit where Andrej talks about the issue with lane markings is instructive in this regard. Recaptcha appears to be a confirmation check on identification of "traffic light found within this box" which doesn't seem comparable to labeling as described by Andrej.

Put another way, if google is still just trying to confirm that they can identify a bounding box for a traffic light... they've got a lot of work ahead.

Reactions: Anstandswauwau
Interesting point, but doesn’t some Google employee or someone have to validate that the answers given by any random person are correct? To verify the correct answer to allow access to the web page the person is trying to get to, and also to ensure that wrong answers don’t get transmitted to the AI.

I hope you find the following presentation helpful.

• Funny
Reactions: Tenable

But marketwatch had! Claudia the bear.

Antard is probably preparing his.

To me the issue is simple: when have you *ever* before seen a "news" article in a business publication about a celebrity's car not starting?

But, of course... Tesla :Þ
I'm getting the impression I came in on the tail end of something. Yeah, "car not starting" is something that happens to legacy vehicles all the time. Especially -- though far from exclusively -- in cold weather.

Tesla's issues with respect to the screen going black and unresponsive are real and need to be addressed. I'd still far rather have my M3 than any other non-Tesla.