Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a few shares of Maxwell last month. I will gladly tender but haven’t received any communications about tendering (I’m using TD Ameritrade).
This is a sign that Tesla hasn't been actively campaigning for the tender, which is bad; they should be actively campaigning. Why aren't they? Incompetence? Lack of staffing?

That said, you can call your broker and tender the shares.

Whoa. Assume 3 year lease. No way Tesla is going to make assumption that regulators will be FSD ready. Can we thus sssume Tesla ride share model will be different than we assumed. More like Uber / Lyft but with better economics for driver ??

Mustn’t assume USA. Just one country has to be FSD ready and legal. Cars ship.

Absolutely not. They get annoyed I always have an answer (usually not one they want to hear), that I’m always right, that the sarcasm oozes from my pores. There’s other less attractive traits, but I am funny as heck, honest, fair and fiercely loyal.

All the fault of my parents. :D

Uh. Sounds you're the most horrible individual I'd like to be around.

Hmm taking the cars back at the end of the lease is brilliant. For the $40k SR+, assuming 20% margin, they pay $32k to make it. They then lease it for 3 years, charging $22k. They then take the car back and use it for Tesla Network. Tesla is essentially paying $10k for each autonomous taxi in their network.

I think they would sell it immediately for $50K.

I've been under them in 3 different locations from Ca to AZ and can attest to their rhythmic pattern of swooshing its way through the wind is a nice way to sleep..View attachment 395916
OT:
Outstanding Milky Way shot. May I ask lens and exposure info?

Maui. Zeiss 25mm, 25 sec, ISO 3200

_DSC4948 Flattened 1200 px.jpg

Whoa. Assume 3 year lease. No way Tesla is going to make assumption that regulators will be FSD ready. Can we thus sssume Tesla ride share model will be different than we assumed. More like Uber / Lyft but with better economics for driver ??

Your idea enlightened me. Say an average full time uber driver drives 50k miles, assuming 30mpg and $3.9 gas in california, That is $6.5k/y gas with potentially $5k/y gas savings for drivers. Even with a driver, tsla network easily beats uber and lyft in terms of cost, safety, comfort and class.

Last edited:
They wouldn’t be offering leasing if they were production constrained.

Chaotic price and product switching every couple of weeks looks like poor execution even if it’s not.
Given Tesla doesn’t offer dealership deals customer by customer this looks more chaotic than car sellers already are. With all my previous car purchases I never paid the MSRP and was always given an on-spot discount (which was negotiable). The point is, this doesn’t mean that company is in disarray. As for new customer, when they buy, they buy it on current information.

Mind boggling that Tesla is willling to change course every other week on this stuff but was unwilling to just stall or admit they couldn’t release a $35k model. The reality is no one cares whether they can sell a $35k car right now. If they couldn’t do it right now it really would not have changed anything. In hindsight, just admitting it may have helped them a lot more than faking it did.

I am more and more convinced that nearly all the Tesla moves can be attributed to the goal of getting Tesla Network running. When seen through that lens, the closure of stores makes perfect sense. Once FSD is legal in let's say China, Tesla Network will launch and local business owners will buy as many SR M3s as they can. Everyone will be printing money. Stores would not be required at all. This could be 2 years away.

If in the short term, additional awareness is required - I would imagine that Tesla will use pop-up stores - just a week at each location potentially. My Model S test drive was organised at a hotel and worked really well.
Tesla Network lens:
SR hidden behind the telephone - higher spec better for selling FSD - check
SR hidden behind the telephone - more profit to spend on accelerating Tesla Network - check
Leasing and using for Tesla Network post lease - check (half price Tesla owned taxi)
Making FSD std - more FSD miles - check

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
That’s being generous. Tesla already discouraged people from getting the SR by a) pushing out the availability date and b) offering the slightly more expensive SR+. It’s no wonder lots of SR people decided not to wait and ordered SR+. Question is, if availability of SR had been identical to SR+ from the start, would outcomes have been different?

It’s the only realistic interpretation.

The usual suspects in this thread tho are looking funny declaring both the start and end of SR orders as a good thing.

Tesla is production constrained because SR doubles addressable market was how the earlier than expected SR drop in response to weak US demand was spun. Now that they’ve dropped it those same people are basically saying it wasn’t needed lol

Mind boggling that Tesla is willling to change course every other week on this stuff but was unwilling to just stall or admit they couldn’t release a $35k model. The reality is no one cares whether they can sell a $35k car right now. If they couldn’t do it right now it really would not have changed anything. In hindsight, just admitting it may have helped them a lot more than faking it did.
I think they are still looking for the right product offering to maximize margin, avoid inventory build up, and smoothen delivery.
On paper sounds chaotic but dealers do that on an active basis in a showroom.

I think they are still looking for the right product offering to maximize margin, avoid inventory build up, and smoothen delivery.
On paper sounds chaotic but dealers do that on an active basis in a showroom.
They don’t have nearly as many options. This stuff isn’t rocket science. And it’s only mildly driven by demand. They have basically been throwing darts at the wall and seeing what sticks. When they should easily already know what is going to stick. They have been trying to have it both ways. Pushing to release a $35k model was not in the best interest of the customer or the company.

I’ll give them credit. They are clearly doing and thinking of everything they can do to improve their financial situation, almost on a day to day basis. The sense of urgency is very clear. To deny they are desperately against the ropes is to ignore reality.

It’s the only realistic interpretation.

The usual suspects in this thread tho are looking funny declaring both the start and end of SR orders as a good thing.

Tesla is production constrained because SR doubles addressable market was how the earlier than expected SR drop in response to weak US demand was spun. Now that they’ve dropped it those same people are basically saying it wasn’t needed lol

OMG, some of us remember when online ordering did not exist. We still managed to buy stuff. The SR is not dropped. It’s a phone call.

Leases are in no way dependent on full FSD functionality.

No, of course not. The point is that they are saying that leases can't be purchased because Tesla plans to use them, 36 months Standard Terran Time from now, in the Tesla network.

That's... Optimistic. Of course they can instead choose to sell them, or operate them as company--owned ride-hailing cars driven by humans.

But the idea that 36 months from tomorrow we'll have the Tesla network operational in fully-autonomous mode is an interesting one.

I'd love to be wrong.

Reactions: gene and neroden