Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People drive aggressively because they are mentally or emotionally unstable in the moment. Yes, they are.

In a hurry because they didn’t get out of bed early enough, didn’t allow enough travel time, irritated by the task they are going to, too much going on in the day because they’ve overbooked, stressed about (fill in the blank), think they own the road and have no regard for all the other humans and on and on and on the list goes.

Some people are having epiphanies IN Teslas WHILE driving. I’ve shared a couple of those stories here as have others. The car is showing them a different way to live and view life. The car is giving them driving enjoyment that they’ve never felt before or cared about before. Yes, that is happening.

I contend the car is plenty aggressive and that it’s every other impatient, angry, rushing person on the road who needs to chill the heck out. NOT that the car/FSD needs to be more aggressive.

I contend that in the end the cautious, perhaps politeness, of FSD and the opportunity for people to take a load off and not have to ‘get up on the wheel’ is the path that should be taken and the end result aimed for. That makes happier people and increases safety on top of the safety garnered by FSD all on its own.
99% of crashes involving humans in charge cannot truly be categorized as "accidents", IMO.

Jaguar CEO on CNBC right now, (paraphrase) "I don't think we'll see the majority of car sales being EVs for at least a couple decades."

Lol....it's almost physically impossible for adoption to slow to that rate. No follow up question of course.

CNBC is really pumping that Jaguar just won Best Green Car at the New York Auto Show. Of course they leave out one minor detail - Tesla wasn't there which apparently means they don't qualify.

Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV sweeps awards at New York auto show

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lklundin and SO16
MODERATOR NOTE:
There are a strangely large number of supremely low-quality posts showing up. Not just people trying to be cute, and not just mischievous posters spreading malice, but real drivel.

If you can't post something of value, sit on your hands, please. If you want a silly chat group, there are plenty of other locations on the internet, so I have been told. Real comic relief - to an extent - always is welcome.

And in case you haven't noticed....I'm back.
Tough crowd. Ok I’ll sit on my hands, starting now...

• Funny
Reactions: Unpilot
Last few days have been mostly a pissing contest about FSD. If FSD FUD volume is any indication of real concern, this appears to scare the most reasonable pants off the competition, and for obvious reason.

Truth is, FSD safety is measurable by number of accidents. Not by technology, money, or programmers. And it will never be as good as you in your mind. It will be a gradual release of capability for eternity.
Personally, I'm good with it as is and cant wait for more. But Im like your flying instructor ready to take over from the student. True story, my first test flight ever was at San Jose Ca. Airport where my instructor just gave me the yoke and let me both take off and land. No difference here, maybe safer because tesla cant fight me for control but a student pilot could go nuts.

Meanwhile, in $TSLAND - look like the MMD is over.

Other than the bear attack at open, looks like we're following Nasdaq with the usual multiplier.

upload_2019-4-17_17-11-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-17_17-11-46.png
    upload_2019-4-17_17-11-46.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Informative
Reactions: Unpilot
Jaguar CEO on CNBC right now, (paraphrase) "I don't think we'll see the majority of car sales being EVs for at least a couple decades."

Lol....it's almost physically impossible for adoption to slow to that rate. No follow up question of course.

Ofcourse, anything can happen ... but a lot of countries have announced ban of fossil fuel cars. Some cities/provinces are even more aggressive, starting in 2025.

Phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles - Wikipedia

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

Indian Govt. Bans Petrol And Diesel Cars On The Road From 2030

France plans to ban all new petrol and diesel cars by 2040

MODERATOR NOTE:
There are a strangely large number of supremely low-quality posts showing up. Not just people trying to be cute, and not just mischievous posters spreading malice, but real drivel.

If you can't post something of value, sit on your hands, please. If you want a silly chat group, there are plenty of other locations on the internet, so I have been told. Real comic relief - to an extent - always is welcome.

And in case you haven't noticed....I'm back.
Thank you. I'm just trying to keep the FUD in check here. Getting pretty thick.

Reactions: Drax7
Not true, not yet. Be careful of your assumptions.
Speedwise yes, it may even be better, but battery capacity won't allow you to run 4 hard sessions daily that most clubs let you do. You can do somewhere between 1 and 2.
I evaluated it for this purpose (I go to Mosport frequently) and it was impractical.
It may work for some tracks and some owners, depending on charging infrastructure.
I disagree. Track times are per lap, it doesn't matter to me if 5 hard laps aren't possible. If single lap times are comparable, then it's a comparable car.

I've taken mine out several times pre-track mode, it was a fine experience. Maybe not a great dedicated track car, but neither is a brand new M3 really. I don't know where you are getting your idea that you can only do 1 or 2 runs. Even without track mode I was able to complete 5 laps on my local track, laps 4 and 5 were just power limited.

Last edited:
It seems a greater efficient improvement than I would expect from the reduced weight alone. Perhaps the new pack design has upgraded tech in addition to the lower manufacturing cost.
You are correct, a 6% curb weight difference between LR and SR+ should not cause a 6% consumption difference. But note the "test weight" is almost 10% higher for LR. I have no idea why. The 7% city consumption difference lines up with that, but the 6% highway difference doesn't.

EPA test docs are always full of weird stuff, though. MR energy consumption is higher than LR. Huh? The dyno coefficient variations between LR/MR/SR+ make no sense at all, and those really drive the results.

I try not to draw too many conclusions from these test results. That being said, the battery pack mass of 480 kg for LR, 435 for MR and 378 for SR+ implies the MR has ~10 kg of "dummy cells" in it and the new SR+ pack design saves ~10 kg vs the LR pack.

At least this guy is not malicious. Tesla should not put something in firmware that they don't want to be in the open.

Yes, he’s not malicious but he’s inadvertently ruining all our positions and interrupting, nay disrupting Tesla’s narrative.

Dig away but keep what you find to yourself. It doesn’t take a genius or a phone call to Tesla to know it’s a secret Tesla wants to keep until they are ready to reveal it.

What if it never comes to pass? Then people are sitting on the sidelines not buying cars waiting for it.

What happens every time we get ahold of it and flog it to death, speculate until we’re in a frenzy and then we are let down when it comes to pass because we knew that 6 months ago. It’s like someone telling you what’s in package with a bow on your birthday before you’ve opened it. Even if the contents are what you want, the fun has been taken away.

What happens when the media gets ahold of it and spins it negative before Tesla even gets to reveal it and talk about it?

At best it’s in bad taste. At worst the SP just took another kick in the pants.

At least this guy is not malicious. Tesla should not put something in firmware that they don't want to be in the open.

Disclosure mistakes happen even at intelligence agencies whose primary job is to be paranoid about secrets - let alone at high tech companies like Tesla that have an openly communicating internal culture.

I'm glad that greentheonly has decided to not post any spoilers, we'll know it soon enough, in 5 days. :D

It appears someone with firmware access is leaking to Fred though:

"Now we’ve learned that the electric motor upgrade might only be the tip of the iceberg that is the Model S and Model X upgrade.

Sources with access to Tesla’s latest software told Electrek that the code shows that the automaker is now working on Model S and Model X vehicles with the same battery architecture based on the 2170 battery cells found in Model 3."​

(And of course Fred has absolutely no problem interfering with Tesla's business if it benefits his business of selling advertisements.)

Last edited:
So you are think Tesla would exclude the largest part of people using these services? i.e. The ones that don't have a driver's license, so they can't be the safety driver... (Or the ones that are too drunk to drive themselves, etc.)
I wouldn't worry too much about losing the drunk customers. Every one believes they are totally in control and don't need a ride. The ones without licenses are a concern.

Reactions: neroden