Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Layoffs were 18 January. So they had decided at some point before that.

As for prices, S/X first underwent an effective huge price hike (killing off the 75Ds on 9 January, which were the majority of sales), and only then did prices go down - but still ended up well more than the 75D. The only reason S+X margins declined was because of lower production volumes means more depreciation per vehicle.

IMHO, in light of the retooling for Raven, the new suspension, etc, the killing off of the 75Ds looks like a deliberate attempt to get them some line downtime at minimal cost to margins.
I think that killing the 75 was because they ran out of some component that was going to change with the new configurations. You can now order "standard range" again.

I really think the biggest hiccup was all the price changes in Q1. They just had 2 many. I think it disrupts people and causes people to hold off.
I think they were trying out things - and when one thing didn't work, they tried something else.

May be they should just do deals than change prices. This is what others do - and people are used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So is it still Game On for Q2 S&P inclusion, or we missed the train?

edit: Meant Q3
No.
Q3 2018 + Q4 + Q1 + Q2 positive requires too high a profit in Q2 to be likely.
Q4 + Q1 + Q2 + Q3 is a possibility, but requires great Q2 and Q3.
Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4 is a possibility, but I doubt it.
Q2 + Q3 + Q4 + Q1 2020 seems extremely likely, so S&P inclusion in 2020 probably.

Safety. Can't afford to risk the company against adverse events.

BTW, has anyone posted this yet?

D4_KJK1W4AAnv6Y

4a0cb7c7ly1g2evazvuclj212w0t5kjm.jpg

4a0cb7c7ly1g2evaozfn1j212w0t5npe.jpg

4a0cb7c7ly1g2evbhsttij212w0t5npe.jpg

4a0cb7c7ly1g2evbud7p9j212w0t5hdu.jpg

4a0cb7c7ly1g2evc4xlswj212w0t5qv6.jpg

Credit: 微博
Haven't they finished yet?

Safety. Can't afford to risk the company against adverse events.

That's the conundrum to me. While it's smart to keep the enterprise lean and clean of ballast [I don't like mean companies], even a very lithe and agile Tesla may fare badly in a downturn. So if Musk does both [ie. also raises capital], kudos to him. Timing really need not be as perfect as Alan Mulally's at Ford when he securitized just about everything possible just before the last crisis, enabling the company to live another day and have a shot at survival.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Whoa there... NeXT was one of the greatest developments in personal computer history. It essentially took over Apple in ‘96 and NeXTStep’s Mach-kernel Unix OS and Dock-based desktop GUI became the basis of MacOS X and then iOS. Its influence lives on. Just sayin’...
OT:

But it wasn't a commercial success. It was only really "saved" when Jobs forced Apple to purchase it as a condition to his returning to save the company.

Wouldn't just slicing up the production batches for NA/EU/China into smaller batches have the same effect? The "wave" is due to EU/China boats arriving with large loads at nearly same time as the NA production reaches east coast for earlier portion of NA batch and west coast starts to get hit with the NA batch, right?

If they just cycled the region batches faster, there would be a steady stream of smaller amounts of cars to each region, instead of waves of cars coinciding at once.

That's correct. But think about the results.

The result of smoothing everything out is that the average (mean) days in transit predicts how many cars there will be in transit.

What Tesla *was* doing was producing for China, shipping, producing for the EU, shipping, then producing for the East Coast, shipping, and then producing for California and shipping, so that all the cars landed at the end of the quarter and there was essentially nothing in transit. Artificially low numbers in transit.

Unwinding this leads to higher, more *normal* numbers of cars in transit.

Why is Cash from Operations adversely affected by repaying the principal of a convertible note?:
"Our cash position decreased from $3.7 billion to $2.2 billion mainly due to a $920 million repayment of convertible notes, of which $188 million negatively impacted operating cash flow."

Puzzling indeed. Another one I don't understand

TSLA 2019Q1 shareholder letter said:
As a result of the pricing actions, we adjusted our sales return reserve for cars sold with a Resale Value Guarantee or Buy Back Guarantee. This one-time adjustment had a negative revenue impact of $501 million with a corresponding decrease in automotive cost of goods sold impact of $409 million resulting in a $92 million reduction in gross profit.

What has a future resale value guarantee to do with a negative revenue impact today?

Also : was gross margin calculated on this deflated number? Likely doesn't change the number that much, but still. Sounds weird to me.

Last edited:
What is this latest insanity from CNBC? Tesla cars are “quite old”?!

Tesla cars are now 'quite old' and the exclusive brand is at risk, analyst says

to be honest i understand where he's coming from. the Model S for example has had constant incremental improvements, but it's still basically the same car from 2012 in terms of interior and exterior styling (nosecone excepted).

the counterarguments are:
- The software has improved by leaps and bounds
- The battery and drivetrain (performance, reliability, life expectancy, and range) have improved by leaps and bounds
- The electronics hardware (computer capabilities and responsiveness) have improved dramatically
- The self-driving capabilities (both hardware and software) have improved tremendously as well, and cars built today with the 3.0 computer and camera suite are phenomenally, revolutionarily more capable than 2012 Model S vehicles.

although the cars LOOK virtually identical to the 2012 car (again, nosecone aside), every tangible feature -- performance, range, reliability, self-driving, UI, even handling and ride feel, have improved a ton.

it's not fair, but humans just aren't going to fully register all those accomplishments without a significant visible refresh of the interior and/or exterior of the vehicle. it's dumb, but unless Elon has a plan to make humans less dumb, it's something that has to be accounted for and catered to (assuming the plan is still to sell cars to humans).

Good to hear the "institutional view". I visualize you as a small glass fronted skyscraper. :)

They said that and gave no detail. I really hope there doesn't turn out to be another supply bottleneck, but given Tesla's history, I wouldn't bet on it. Come Q2 report, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something else was bottlenecking them below their targeted production rate. This is my primary cross-fingers worry.

I'm pretty confident they're telling the truth. There's several alternative data providers (no I'm not going to tell you which!) that monitor Tesla production very accurately. I've seen a big step up since mid-March.

Puzzling indeed. Another one I don't understand
Part of the bond sales was recorded to equity on a speculative basis due to the accounting for conversion features. Paying off the bond was then reduction in equity, and due to the elimination of most forms of "other comprehensive income" in a recent GAAP change, it ended up in operating cash flow. I think that's right! (Sigh. The accounting rules here are ugly and I may be totally wrong)

What has a future resale value guarantee to do with a negative revenue impact today?
The revenue from the car was originally reduced by the allowance for the resale value guarantee, i.e. the booked revenue was revenue - (expected value of buyback). The expected buybacks just increased -- they expect more people to take advantage of the resale value guarantee-- so it has to be booked as a retroactive reduction in revenue, which is accumulated and dumped on the balance sheet this quarter.

They expect more people to use the RVG because the market value of their old cars just dropped with the price cuts to the comparable new versions of Model S and X. In fact, I expect to see a second charge like this in Q2 due to the introduction of the "new" Model S and X reducing the value of the old Model S and X again.

That's the conundrum to me. While it's smart to keep the enterprise lean and clean of ballast [I don't like mean companies], even a very lithe and agile Tesla may fare badly in a downturn. So if Musk does both [ie. also raises capital], kudos to him. Timing really need not be as perfect as Alan Mulally's at Ford when he securitized just about everything possible just before the last crisis, enabling the company to live another day and have a shot at survival.

Yep. You can't reach the goal if you're dead.

Let's not kid ourselves about the potential for adverse events to slam Tesla. Picture an all-out trade war with the EU, for example. That would seriously, seriously hurt. You have to have cash reserves to deal with the unexpected.