Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I believe would benefit Tesla is advertising. Expect lots and lots of competitor ads as they bring their EV’s to market touting “new” ADAS capabilities, “new” levels of performance and safety, “new” software features, over the air improvements, etc. that have been sold by Tesla since day one.

Majority of viewers will believe what they are fed in the commercials, that’s just a fact.
Agreed mulder. The potential to reach a gazillion people who know nothing of Tesla and EVs in general would be huge. Audi has started and other companies introducing EVs are sure to follow suit. Potential customers would see the eTron’s range for example and think an EV is not in their future, it doesn’t go far enough on a charge. No advertising was fine for the first quarter but as things have calmed down for Tesla and tax credits expiring it might be time to start. Then there’s the battery shortage....

Agreed mulder. The potential to reach a gazillion people who know nothing of Tesla and EVs in general would be huge. Audi has started and other companies introducing EVs are sure to follow suit. Potential customers would see the eTron’s range for example and think an EV is not in their future, it doesn’t go far enough on a charge. No advertising was fine for the first quarter but as things have calmed down for Tesla and tax credits expiring it might be time to start. Then there’s the battery shortage....

If there’s a battery shortage or if Tesla can’t meet current demand, why would they want to advertise?

Having said that, if FSD is really the only truly usable self-driving technology (or even just dominates, say 90% of the self-driving cars), then insisting that owners can only rent out through Tesla's network would be a pretty clear restraint of trade action.

I don't know if this position holds up. Tesla is vertically integrating from the HW up. If they controlled the source of electrical charging or access to a chip FAB then maybe a case could be made. Anyone can build a chip and a vehicle and charge up on electricity or some other fuel and compete in autonomous mobility services. There are no barriers to entry or competition, full stop.

Further, there is a defined consumer cost to even having FSD and the restrictions to TN come with that purchase in plain sight.

What MSFT did through the distributor network was restrain what competing SW could be loaded on HW (PCs) through punitive licensing contracts that required MSFT products to be installed on all (or nearly all) PCs or suffer a severe financial penalty. This was likely legal for them to do to a point but they crossed the line eventually by attempting to restrict PC makers from even pre-installing a boot loader that permitted the user to experience alternate operating systems (at no cost) thus restraining choice.

If Tesla had a contract with the electrical distribution grid that contractually was punitive to any EV maker that did not use the TN then that drifts into the problem area as I see it.

If there’s a battery shortage or if Tesla can’t meet current demand, why would they want to advertise?
I’m not sure how the battery shortage is affecting Tesla at this moment. People, from what I’ve read, have been taking delivery of inventory cars quite a bit lately. It would appear that the battery shortage is not a huge problem at the moment but might be in the near future. I appreciate your point.

I would think it would not be difficult for the states to get odometer readings. Before getting a tag renewal, cars need to get their annual safety/emissions test which is forwarded to the state. If that doesn't include odometer readings, it would be an easy add. When you get your tag, road use taxes could be automatically calculated based upon milage and vehicle type.

Not every state does an annual inspection. For example here in Oregon a car doesn't go for emissions testing until it is 4 years old, and after that it goes every other year. Of course an EV has no emissions so they are never inspected. (Oregon does no safety inspections, only emissions.)

I’m not sure how the battery shortage is affecting Tesla at this moment. People, from what I’ve read, have been taking delivery of inventory cars quite a bit lately. It would appear that the battery shortage is not a huge problem at the moment but might be in the near future. I appreciate your point.
slitely OT vis a vis batteries
Powerwalls are becoming available here in SW Florida, {and some installers.....}

Doesn't include tariffs on auto and Tesla.
This stock price is absolutely totally and utterly insane. Compared to the market cap of uber / lyft... tesla stock is totally insane. The stock market is a heavy manipulated joke right now.

yeah, kitchen sink being thrown at tsla

i expect you’ll see ihor and @Papafox reporting the short interest increasing significantly the longer this charade plays out