Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True.

What exactly is Tesla doing about this?
Ignoring the problem so all the lies can be rooted more deeply and firmly?
Amazon got zero of such misinformation treatment.
They aren't doing much at the moment for PR. My sense is that they're mostly focused on reducing costs, improving/streamlining production, and in general making the company profitable so it can ride out the recession and reduction in capital from central banks we're likely to see sooner or later.

As long as their products continue to be genuinely appealing, they should be OK overall. Amazon was a little stealthier and had something closer to a blue ocean approach, like Nintendo did with the Wii. They weren't initially competing with existing companies (excluding book sellers) so much as they were bringing in new customers to whatever it was they were doing. Because cars are very expensive, Tesla is likely taking a customer away from someone else when they sell a car. SpaceX on the other hand is I think closer to Amazon in that respect. While they are taking away customers from some other providers (eg ULA), they're also opening up space to companies who couldn't afford it otherwise.

I think that you mean that the reporters manipulated it in a very big way. Just look at the headlines (which I would argue is what most of the general public read):

View attachment 409217

Every single one of those headlines completely twists his words.
Yes, the media distorts it, but was I the only one cringing as I read the actual email? I immediately knew in my gut that it was not going to go over well with the media/market. I actually never even read any headlines about the email, just Electrek's excerpt and then the email itself. It was obvious to me the SP would be taking a dive as a result of the wording of the email.

And yet what he managed to do is to reverse Tesla into february 2014 and UNDO all the accomplishments of the last 4 years.
Perception (image) is everything.

I do hope you are only referring to the stock price (which we all know isn’t truly a good value indicator). Tesla has had MANY accomplishments of the last 4 years.

True.

What exactly is Tesla doing about this?
Ignoring the problem so all the lies can be rooted more deeply and firmly?
Amazon got zero of such misinformation treatment.

Warped, Amazon got abused for years. It was a money burning machine for suckers. It was going to go belly up in a spectacular catastrophe. Look at all the bag holders. Anyone can get a dollars worth of revenue by spending a dollar twenty five. Remember? Amazon.bomb ring a bell?

Writing this hurts your credibility or exposes your ignorance. Don’t believe either of these to be true.

It is neither. Elon neither misunderstands nor doesn’t care.

I believe Elon wants Tesla on a war footing. Max effort, max output.
You still need lots of dedicated warriors with high morale to fight a war with max output. He needs to be careful with his language is all I am saying. Given the previous and fairly recent episodes of job cuts and cost cutting, the workforce is probably quite stressed with lower morale as it is.

Because cars are very expensive, Tesla is likely taking a customer away from someone else when they sell a car.

I dispute that somewhat, but there's room for disagreement because it hinges on what "likely" means. Also my grounds are based on anecdotes rather than on data — sorry about that. But here's the anecdote: when I bought my Model S, I didn't particularly need a new car, nor was I planning on spending close to $100k. However the product was compelling enough to stretch for it — in my case mostly because of AP.

SpaceX on the other hand is I think closer to Amazon in that respect. While they are taking away customers from some other providers (eg ULA), they're also opening up space to companies who couldn't afford it otherwise.

And yet that resembles my experience buying my first Tesla. From my point of view, Tesla was opening up AP to me. Otherwise I could only experience similar technology if I happened to work for a self-driving startup. Or I'd have to wait.

How does this affect TSLA? Well, I'd say it speaks to demand. To some degree Tesla's advantages in EV drivetrain, charging network, and driver assistance creates demand, by offering technologies that aren't otherwise available. To some degree that goes for buyer incentives too. The question is how to quantify that extra demand, so that it can feed into valuation models.

Building 2170s in Japan is a non-starter. There are import tarfiffs on Japanese 18650s that currently power the S/X. Avoiding these tariffs (hence lowering the cost of Model 3) was one of the primary objectives of moving battery cell production to the USA.
But Japan has qualified workers and Panasonic might be able to ramp up reasonably quickly. Japan might possibly be a better option even with tariffs. It's not clear that further expansion of GF1 is tenable. Sufficient workers are apparently unavailable and can't be recruited from elsewhere because there's no housing which can't built because of lack of water. Tesla and Panasonic might need to do something different and creative. Somewhere else in the US? I don't know.

Maybe Maxcells are part of the answer. A big unknown.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Last edited:
I broke exactly even which would be a tremendous victory to equal in my TSLA holdings at the moment.

Yeah, I said the same to them regarding the timeline math and emphasized how difficult it is ramp such things, as in the OEMs are already tremendously behind for the most part. But 2030 was just so far away that it did not matter whether you called it ten or twenty years as far as they were concerned.

I neglected to mention the most prominent criticism: Tesla is almost out of cash and about to go bankrupt. Mentioning that they currently had about five bill in cash did not seem to make an impression. Trying to talk about Maxwell and the battery tech was totally hopeless. The infrastructures necessary for the conversation were simply not present.

I don’t even bother with people like that anymore. Just keep pumping out more vehicles. Eventually some will wake up.

I recall reading that Amazon can't possibly succeed, will never be profitable, that the business model is flawed, etc. Seems as if it's the same misinformation treatment to me.
That may be so with a very distinct difference.. amazon wasn't selling something ordinary joe was very concerned about or even idenfied with.

How much damage that misinformation did to amazon shows today: nobody remembers its competitors.
You think in 20 years no one will remember GM, BMW, Mercedes?

This is grave digging.

Just keep pumping out more vehicles. Eventually some will wake up.
This is ignoring one little tidbit: what with capital raises?

We were lead to believe there will be no more.
And yet it came at abysmal 233 or something, after more than a year of "money printing machine of Model 3 production running full steam".

Shall I mention I am still supposed to believe in early 2019 delivery of a car I still cannot even order because I am resident of a wrong EU country?

That may be so with a very distinct difference.. amazon wasn't selling something ordinary joe was very concerned about or even idenfied with.

How much damage that misinformation did to amazon shows today: nobody remembers its competitors.
You think in 20 years no one will remember GM, BMW, Mercedes?

This is grave digging.
Do you remember toys R Us?

It's not enough for autonomous vehicles to be better than the average human. They have to be better than the best driver.

Every human thinks they're better than the average at driving.

My wife has driven over 100,000 miles and never been in an accident. You're going to need a lot of nines to convince her to get behind autonomy and the politicians that support it.
Avg is 4.2 crashes per million miles or 1 crash in about 250,000 miles. As you can see your wife would have to drive quite a bit more even to get to the avg crash rate.

The "best" driver might be someone who is a taxi driver with 100k/yr of driving without a crash for 50 years. Let us say 1 crash per 5 million miles. 7 9s is 1 crash per 10 million miles. So, yes 40x better than average would be better than the "best driver". 7 9s would be 1 crash per 100x more miles than what your wife has driven.