Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'm going to hell but I don't care. Wouldn't it be great if a group of relatively unknown Tesla owners (3, S, and X) represented themselves to CNBC as folks who were very dissatisfied with their purchases and wanted to go on the network to talk about their experiences. Assuming CNBC was lax in their due diligence, these folks were actually Tesla enthusiasts and when asked to describe what their experiences were, gushed about their cars and how good the service and everything related to Tesla had been. Wonder how long it would take them to go to commercial?

I know it will never happen, but it's great to dream. Both sides can play this game and it's time for the enthusiasts to make some moves.

Please do this.

Question: I know the (stupid) SEC agreement limits what Elon can share about production numbers in tweets and the company blog. Does it say anything about internal e-mails? I guess they are okay, but can anyone confirm?
IMO internal emails are mechanisms for sharing corporate secrets. Elon could use those to convey information, assuming that it would be leaked by one or more employees, and not be in trouble with the SEC. Microsoft Outlook even has some mechanisms to prevent forwarding and copying the text of certain emails. (this tech was introduced before everyone had a high-def camera in their pocket)

I doubt Elon would ever say "well I just read the PDF for tomorrow's earnings call, it's really bad" in an company email to all, but on the flipside, he would never say "I just read the PDF and it's awesome, they're gonna love it tomorrow."

But he could easily convey rah-rah cheerleader-type messages, possibly also known as "soft secrets," which could somewhat resemble some of the tweets from the past, in this way and not IMO be subject to scrutiny by the SEC because it wasn't him that leaked the information.

Reactions: Icer
Has Tesla issued an 8K for Elon's email yet? When is the deadline for this?

Edit: Why the disagree? Isn't this a material leak?

An internal communication effectively stating that they are on track to meet previously issued (and recently reiterated) guidance does not require an 8-k, even if it doesn’t become public. Quit your frothing.

About the “contrived internal email leak” question: if Elon/Tesla wanted to calm these very troubled waters, why not just convey the same info in a press release or other public statement? I get that there may be reluctance to break with a quarterly guidance schedule, but this has been a once-in-a-decade (hopefully) tailspin, an existential crisis if allowed to spiral out of control.

I know I'm going to hell but I don't care. Wouldn't it be great if a group of relatively unknown Tesla owners (3, S, and X) represented themselves to CNBC as folks who were very dissatisfied with their purchases and wanted to go on the network to talk about their experiences. Assuming CNBC was lax in their due diligence, these folks were actually Tesla enthusiasts and when asked to describe what their experiences were, gushed about their cars and how good the service and everything related to Tesla had been. Wonder how long it would take them to go to commercial?

I know it will never happen, but it's great to dream. Both sides can play this game and it's time for the enthusiasts to make some moves.

Please do this.

I am IN! Here is what I would say: 'I am so upset with Tesla. I can't even drive the car anymore........My wife jumps in every morning before me. My solution to this horrible Tesla issue: I am ordering a 'Y"'

When did anyone at ARK say the words you wrote that I have emboldened? I have heard CEO Cathie Wood say that at times some Tesla may have been sold to buy other stocks that have dipped. Then she went on to emphasize that it is not her policy to automatically sell a stock that is more than 10% of a fund. She did say that the policy is to not buy any more of a stock that comprised more than 10% of an ARK fund. Indeed, at times Tesla has for a period of time comprises more than 10% of an ARK fund. Stratasys is currently more than 11% of ARKQ.

I'm not going to go digging around for snippets from all of the interviews that ARK and Cathie have done in the past. You're pulling straws out of what I was saying so let me make it clear. ARK loaded up a ton on Tesla for the past 2 months on the extended dip and even more at the rock bottom prices we're at right now. If they were to hold all of their shares without selling any until we get back in the mid 300's, then Tesla will likely take up 15-20% of their fund allocation. I was saying......it will be interesting to see what they do at that point because they might be inclined to hold even if Tesla was taking up 20% or more allocation because of the very big things that will be happening for the company in Q3 and Q4 of this year(Giga 3 operational, Pick up reveal, etc...)

I am going to speak to your last point. Ford would not pay the billions needed to buy and assumed debts for a company they could not integrate in their other operations. Whatever battery tech Tesla has short of solid state, and even then is not worth it to Ford, Apple and what other rumored suitor.
It's not just tech, it's manufacturing capacity and expertise. They just dropped half a billion on Rivian for just that, and they are small potatoes.

2019.16.2 Lane departure avoidance is worth it’s weight in gold! I may now just be a monkey driving in the lines that my Telsa lets me, but damn that is awesome! I just let the car drift and it started going over the line then, ding ding ding ding, it put me back in the lane and we kept on going. FU CNBC that’s criminal not showing this feature. This feature alone will save more people than seat belts. No crash is infinitely better than a crash strapped in.

About the “contrived internal email leak” question: if Elon/Tesla wanted to calm these very troubled waters, why not just convey the same info in a press release or other public statement? I get that there may be reluctance to break with a quarterly guidance schedule, but this has been a once-in-a-decade (hopefully) tailspin, an existential crisis if allowed to spiral out of control.
Because the underlying issue for TSLA is production and delivery. The people who directly impact that are the employees. There is nobody else who is going to fix this.

The press sure as heck is not going to turn around their narrative no matter how much Elon kisses their butt. Production and delivery numbers will destroy their narrative.

I watched Jake Fisher (editor at CR) on CNBC. In my view, he did nothing to dissuade CNBC (or anyone else) of its narrative regarding the CR article.

For anyone interested:

We aren't ready for autonomous driving, Tesla's autopilot update proves it: Consumer Reports' Fisher

And that item was seen by as many people as live in... Mobile, Alamaba (no offence). Like I stated yesterday: aren't we giving too much weight to CNBC's reporting? And aren't of lot of those (on average) 195,000 watchers using the channel as background noise?

Inside the mind of Adam Jonas:

1. New Company .. building a factory, < 20K cars (2013 Tesla, 2019 Rivian) ... lots of potential, buy, PT $450
2. Young company, > 250K cars. Struggling company .. PT$10
Self fulfilling prophesies. Cheer for a new stock and when it rises you can say "look how smart I was!". Say a stock will sink, and then when it sinks, partially because of your target you can say the same.

... and that item was seen by as few people as live in Mobile, Alamaba (no offence). Like I stated yesterday: aren't we giving too much weight to CNBC's reporting? And aren't of lot of those (on average) 195,000 watchers using the channel as background noise?
95% of Americans don't know what autopilot is. Hearing that it isn't safe isn't going to change that.

Reactions: BBone and Icer
2019.16.2 Lane departure avoidance is worth it’s weight in gold! I may now just be a monkey driving in the lines that my Telsa lets me, but damn that is awesome! I just let the car drift and it started going over the line then, ding ding ding ding, it put me back in the lane and we kept on going. FU CNBC that’s criminal not showing this feature. This feature alone will save more people than seat belts. No crash is infinitely better than a crash strapped in.

This is true. I received the update last night in my 3, enabled the full lane departure assist/avoidance, and let the car creep toward the next lane on a clear road. It's like a mini-autopilot driving minder. The car will just not go over the line unless you force it or have your turn signal on. And it will not-so-gently remind you that you're driving like an idiot.

Because the underlying issue for TSLA is production and delivery. The people who directly impact that are the employees. There is nobody else who is going to fix this.

The press sure as heck is not going to turn around their narrative no matter how much Elon kisses their butt. Production and delivery numbers will destroy their narrative.
That’s kind of my point. The email probably was what it appeared to be. But I’d like to think that if it hadn’t leaked, Elon/Tesla would have said as much in a public statement to try and staunch the bleeding for Tesla longs (myself very much included).

I'm not going to go digging around for snippets from all of the interviews that ARK and Cathie have done in the past. You're pulling straws out of what I was saying so let me make it clear. ARK loaded up a ton on Tesla for the past 2 months on the extended dip and even more at the rock bottom prices we're at right now. If they were to hold all of their shares without selling any until we get back in the mid 300's, then Tesla will likely take up 15-20% of their fund allocation. I was saying......it will be interesting to see what they do at that point because they might be inclined to hold even if Tesla was taking up 20% or more allocation because of the very big things that will be happening for the company in Q3 and Q4 of this year(Giga 3 operational, Pick up reveal, etc...)

Thank you for the clarification. Indeed that would be interesting.

Sorry, I did not mean to pull straws out of what you wrote. However, it is a very common misconception at TMC that ARK has a policy to automatically sell shares of a stock if it comprises more than 10% of a fund. I wanted to make certain that others here understand what the policy actually is.

Talking to people from the auto industry leaved the impression to me they live in a different world and to be honest I believe they really do. Its their own echo chamber where friends, family and colleagues talk the same talk and keep distance from BEVs and if they touch one its one of their own not really impressive and a use case just for the city.

I totally agree, and as I said in a portion of my part, the issue of demand is frankly something nobody knows with any certainty. Even Elon has said they're really just guessing with the demand forecasts. No one knows how much customer love for these cars, word of mouth, the next phase of adopters feeling ready to jump in, the lower-cost Model 3 trims, Model 3 leasing, etc. Everyone is simply guessing, BUT — they inherently don't understand Tesla and can't see the demand forming (same case for 11+ years) and we inherently think Tesla demand will be strong indefinitely (well, perhaps with a little/medium lull in between the early adopters and the mass market phase).

They also don't seem to understand several core competitive advantages Tesla has that aren't going away in the next 3-5 years, if ever. So, again, they think Big Auto can swoop in and steal Tesla's demand. The Model X owner explained very well his point of view that that's not the case. I'd like to understand how their minds digested that.

I have a question regarding this. Let's say you're driving on the highway (no autopilot, no cruise control) and the truck in front of you isn't paying attention and suddenly starts braking way too late, smacks the car in front of him and your only choice to not get into an accident is to swerve into the next lane over. Will the car allow you to swerve into the next lane?