Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Robinhood requires 25K in the account to day trade.
Limit is 3 same day buy/sells in 5 days otherwise.
More likely HODLers hoping to get back to zero along with folks jumping in at the new low prices.

That's FINRA rules, not Robinhood's.

Essentially, what's happening is... Robinhood accounts default to margin accounts (because the instant deposits feature counts as margin, even though it's money you have that just hasn't settled yet). FINRA has those requirements for margin accounts because brokers don't want to assume the risk of people day trading on margin.

I wonder if the requirement would be lifted if you contacted Robinhood and requested that all margin be disabled for your account - as soon as you don't have margin of any kind, the FINRA rules aren't in play, and the reason for them isn't in play.

However, the discussion was of swing trading in contrast to buy and hold, and swing trading isn't necessarily day trading. For instance, I might see the prices right now as really interesting on the fundamentals, and see it as a way to make a quick buck whenever it breaks out. My investment horizon would be longer than the same day and therefore the pattern day trading rules wouldn't come into play, but it couldn't be called long-term.

I wonder the odds of Tesla buying the Lordstown plant. Make a deal with Trump to extend those tax credits first. :p

Right now, it looks like Workhorse is first in line.

Reactions: Vaamo
Here's my read on the situation. The actual Joanne Orencia lost her badge or someone was able to take a picture of it. This person has been posting under her name about the low production numbers (maybe old photos) and also did the toilet paper leak to Fred. That person is badmouthing Tesla talking about how terrible a working environment it is. This is also why this person keeps posting and asking people to follow them on Twitter.

Either that, or I'm completely wrong and it's a disgruntled employee that is not respecting an NDA and wants attention by constantly posting on Twitter and asking for people to follow her and wants to do harm to the company. In which case we aren't sure if the production numbers are for one shift or the entire day.

Either way should and will be brought to the attention of Tesla.

View attachment 412991 This afternoon I plugged my P3D into a wind-powered charging station at Crissy Field and added 48 miles over two hours while enjoying a walk to and from the Golden Gate Bridge. I now feel much better about the absurd short-term movement of TSLA. :)

Lol, hate to burst your bubble, but there's no way that little turbine makes 6 KW (maybe 500 W but prolly not).

Look for the grid connection to the charger head...

Cheers!

P.S.. LOVE'd your photo anyway! Looks like an awesome way to spend the afternoon. :D

According to this article there's several wind turbines, but the main power source is a 28 kW solar installation nearby:

So it's still all renewable-powered. :D

Demand problem? Please....

I started renting out my Model 3 Performance on Turo last month as a way to evangelize Tesla's to more people, and also to subsidize a car that I don't really drive, but just wanted to have.

Guess what, the demand for my car is simply insane. How insane? I easily made enough to cover my monthly payments on the car and more! Half of the bookings are test drives. Everyone, and I mean everyone loves the car. They are showing it to their friends. They're giving comments like "I rarely get excited about anything, but I drove it and I was excited, and I had to get my friends to try it". I sold 3 cars already. This is so much fun (and profitable) that I'm seriously thinking of buying a second P3D!

Tesla however, really do need to get the word out there, and never close their stores or test drives. People have no idea how amazing Tesla cars are. FUD works really well, but you know what works even better? A test drive.

Here's my read on the situation. The actual Joanne Orencia lost her badge or someone was able to take a picture of it. This person has been posting under her name about the low production numbers (maybe old photos) and also did the toilet paper leak to Fred. That person is badmouthing Tesla talking about how terrible a working environment it is. This is also why this person keeps posting and asking people to follow them on Twitter.

Either that, or I'm completely wrong and it's a disgruntled employee that is not respecting an NDA and wants attention by constantly posting on Twitter and asking for people to follow her and wants to do harm to the company. In which case we aren't sure if the production numbers are for one shift or the entire day.

Either way should and will be brought to the attention of Tesla.
My thoughts are similar to yours.

Reactions: Tslynk67
Oil != gas. Someone has to refine it. And as refineries close, supply will shrink.
There will likely be reverse economies of scale as demand reduces for gas. Less competition in production, transportation, refining and point of sale. The customer will also likely be significantly disadvantaged as the number of gas stations reduce and they will need to go further out of their way to fill up. There could be a short term drop in price while the large incumbent industry is chasing fewer sales, however as the industry shrinks the price will likely increase.

Charlie Munger believes we will end up using every drop of oil for fertiliser, plastics and all the other industrial uses of petroleum products. He may be right but I don't see the increase in these uses offsetting the reduction in demand from transport in the short to medium term.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
My take on the China Model 3 price announcement is that this is a good sign that demand is strong. If demand was low I find it hard to believe Tesla would announce the pricing as it is all but certain going to reduce the number of orders placed from China for the rest of Q2/Q3. The added benefit of doing it now too is the potential for a nice cash infusion from reservations. Overall several signs pointing to a stronger than expected Q2 and putting major cracks in the TSLAQ theory of poor demand.

FYI - Elon actually did say on the Q4 earnings call that he prefers higher unit volume even if total overall profit was the same (ie lower margins per car). I thought that was a bit of an odd thing to say on an earnings call, but realised it made sense when you are trying to achieve scale fast.

Reasons to sell more cars, even when it has no apparent effect on the bottom line:

More word of mouth advertising
Potential t-tunes or app sales
Extra car that may end up on Tesla network
Prevents a possible ICE from being born
Supplier bulk discounts
They may pay to unlock FSD or future features
Increases the fixed cost divisor (as you said)
Puts people in a safer car
More data collection
Potential boring tunnel pay per use user
Potential solar/powerwall customer

Charlie Munger believes we will end up using every drop of oil for fertiliser, plastics and all the other industrial uses of petroleum products. He may be right but I don't see the increase in these uses offsetting the reduction in demand from transport in the short to medium term.

There is a lot more price elasticity of demand for those other uses for oil.

People can only reduce demand for gasoline/diesel only so much when oil pops over $100/barrel.

Companies/people can more easily reduce consumption of oil based plastics/fertilizers/lubricants etc or find substitutes for those other products.

One very easy substitute is natural gas.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Looks like Grohmann is online and reducing the amount of labor and bodies needed, eventually saving Tesla a lot of money on production.

Where did you see this?
It's mentioned here:

carsonight | View in discussion

"Most of the stress on the Panasonic side comes from being shorthanded. They're expected to keep up the production numbers even though they don't have the bodies. On the Tesla side the Grohmann machines are actually reducing the number of people they need and they are not hiring right now. If you are a mechanic, though, there is always an opening."​

Thanks. His response was pretty simple, but all that I think was needed (made me happy :D and indicates that my* super complicated assessment was accurate :p): "Yup"

Elon Musk on Twitter

*I should say "our" — referenced at least one person here.

And thanks for taking my quote verbatim, specifically the word "god" (abstract noun) and not "God" (proper noun), a fundamental difference.

Norway is a special case. 100% taxes on new ICE purchase distorted both the new and used markets. So a $50k car that's $100k new might be 60k after 3 years. But who will buy a 3 year old ICE for 60k when a new Model 3 costs 50k?

You really can't apply that to other markets, where that same ICE is 30k after 3 years.

You're seeing it all wrong.

Zero-emission cars are getting subsidies in Norway, polluting cars are being taxed.

In a world that desperately needs to reverse CO2 and NO emissions, these punitive taxes should be applied to all ICE vehicle in every state and country, immediately IMO.

The revenue should be spent on renewables.

It's only with this type of change that we'll start to turn things around.

Her screenshot is for one shift only (*) (probably the first?). She has no idea what she is talking about.

Yeah let’s not legitimize that account folks. That person Tweeted “please follow me and I’ll follow you back!” multiple times, “Smoking weed at work!”, violated an NDA, multiple toilet paper pictures, etc.

Clearly a troll or disgruntled employee, and clearly not a legitimate source of info (unless you’re Fred or Business Insider, lol).

Suggest not viewing the feed. Views to her posts will only embolden the troll.