Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skepticism from Wall Street in regards to future production/delivery numbers. If you tell Wall Street you're going to do 90k to 100k deliveries in Q2, Tesla should come through on those numbers or the share price will be stuck here.

Aren't you making my point that the brand is not just fine. I think re-establishing belief in the brand in the more general population should be a goal. I'm not sure how best to do it.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
If you tell Wall Street you're going to do 90k to 100k deliveries in Q2...

I too am frustrated with the over promising
Seems unnecessary.
Thinking back, imagine announcing 70k EV
sales for the quarter,
and having folks yell Ha Ha FAIL

Feels like he is repeatedly setting himself up to fail
I would rather see the opposite.
Why does he do that?
Now, promising a truck better than an F150?

Well the man does not think small
But it feels like the inner gambler gets the better of him.
He is one big time gambler.

An El Camino type vehicle,
basically Car with a pickup bed would be great.
A re-bodied 3 platform mini truck like thing.

And some of these:
Body variations that dont involve , err, major disruption of everything.
What am I missing here?

2019-6-2 S wagon 2.JPG

Seems unnecessary.
sales for the quarter,

Why does he do that?

And some of these:
What am I missing here?

View attachment 414866
ASPIRATIONS ??

The brand is actually being damaged by the repeated customer communications fiascos.

A couple of market's closed anecdotes since I'm currently dealing with Tesla on two fronts: the X purchase has been the usual on the website side--missed estimate, no automated updates explaining why. But my sales guy has been helpful, letting me know that my car was built last week and I've got 7-10 days left. Took away the worry that delivering by 6/30 was at risk.

On the energy side, I have a non-standard install in that I already have a PV system covering half my roof. Tesla would be filling out the rest. I put my info in on the site, and the initial stuff was great--quick emails as each step was completed, up through the home assessment which also went fine.

Then radio silence. The site said expect a design and contract proposal in 3-5 days. 3 weeks later, two separate energy reps texted and called me asking if I was still interested in pursuing solar. Neither had any idea that I was waiting on a contract and had had a home assessment done. Amateur hour.

But I told them both the situation, and a few hours later a higher-tier rep called, apologized, called the situation unacceptable, and promised to escalate. He also gave me his direct email and phone so I could reach him if things didn't improve.

A couple of days later and I have my contract. Pricing is exactly what was estimated on the site.

So for my two data points, there are still things slipping through the automation cracks, but the actual humans I've dealt with seem to care about my experience and are empowered to help make sure it's positive. They're trying to improve.

The problem is that Elon has a MASSIVE blind spot when it comes to human factors.

Wait for it...
Fixing the customer communications -- or getting USB music working.

... There it is.

Share price = apple

I'd certainly settle for an $800B cap, yes.

As an example, Elon said in today's ride the lightning podcast that they will have one part of the body stamped for the MY that is the equivalent of 70 parts in the M3 - just through better design. That number sounds almost unbelievable to me and could only drop manufacturing cost significantly.

Minor correction: he said it will initially be 2 castings + binder pieces for a total of 4 or 5 pieces. Once they get the bigger casting equipment set up, it will be one casting instead of the 70 joined pieces.
This may be part of what is going on in Lathrop.

Aren't you making my point that the brand is not just fine. I think re-establishing belief in the brand in the more general population should be a goal. I'm not sure how best to do it.

This is not belief from the general population that's causing the stock to drop. It's institutional shareholders that don't think that Elon can actually produce those numbers out of their factory and actually deliver them.

It's literally about what they are telling Wall Street and whether they can actually meet their production/delivery numbers. That's execution by Tesla.

If there were a brand problem, you might look at issues like sales. In Tesla's case, they are selling every Model 3 they can produce.

Seems unnecessary.
sales for the quarter,

Why does he do that?

And some of these:
What am I missing here?

View attachment 414866
Careful now. This has the appearance of poetry which would be a half-jinx.

NOA update for @VValleyEV

Ok, so changed the lane confirmation setting to no and just finished a to and from airport run set like that. Mad Max setting as well because, duh, who wouldn’t?

No mistakes by the car. No dangerous maneuvers. A couple of lane changes to move into faster lanes that I wouldn’t have normally done because I’m a pretty chill driver 99% of the time - not in a hurry to go nowhere.

The car made a couple of impressive moves. Another funky merge lane with the car slowing on its own to allow others to merge rather than blocking them. Another great save when starting a lane change and identifying a very fast approaching vehicle from behind on the left changing lanes into the lane my car wanted. A good non-reaction when a car cut in - previously I’ve had the car brake heavily to get to follow distance, now it does it more gradually in most cases. And one instance of maintaining its path when the road lines went for crap - road crew was high or something, not just off but criss crossed and curved and even I was wth!? where to go!?

One lane change into a faster lane with a faster vehicle approaching. Not a dangerous lane change, but the vehicle caught up to us quickly and then we were slowing it down. I just increased max speed, passed the car on the right and then had the car change back into previous lane.

One thing that still sometimes confuses the car is when two lanes become one, the car will sometimes move over to be in the middle of the new lane that is still 1.5 lanes wide (at which point I’m sure the drivers behind me are ???) and at other times it’ll stay to the left or right as it should.

So absolutely nothing on my part to be dramatic about. Nothing scary going on - other than the car is bloody well driving itself and makes you feel like it’s thinking - :eek:.

I feel confident it can handle a lot of situations, even some tricky ones. Whenever a new/tricky situation is developing on the highway, I just get up on the wheel a little bit and prepare to intervene.

Lately I’ve found myself scolding friends who aren’t using it or using it much. I keep telling them they need to use it so they can help Tesla make it better. It’s their civic duty!

So, yeah. It’s working quite well, IMO.

Awesome, thanks. Have you watched that CR video of the 3 driver/testers sitting around a table just shaking their heads at how frightened they were when they tried this option?

They all claimed it tried to change lines into a left lane with a fast-approaching car and they had to override it, and it was so stressful and unsafe. Of course no video. And all other video bloggers have raved about how safe and conservative the lane changes, ESPECIALLY into an adjacent lane with a fast-approaching vehicle in that lane.

My intent is not to drag the investment forum into an AP discussion, but to ask what is going on with CR. Are they making this stuff up, or are they just totally clueless about using the AP? Or maybe the AP is programmed to behave more aggressively in Connecticut? If they are clueless, is there someone that can get them to do a proper test with video? I sure would like to see CR become at least not hostile to Tesla, which they seem to be lately.

Last edited:
This is not belief from the general population that's causing the stock to drop. It's institutional shareholders that don't think that Elon can actually produce those numbers out of their factory and actually deliver them.

It's literally about what they are telling Wall Street and whether they can actually meet their production/delivery numbers. That's execution by Tesla.

If there were a brand problem, you might look at issues like sales. In Tesla's case, they are selling every Model 3 they can produce.

I had to replace a tire on my S. While I was in the waiting room, I was talking to another customer who drove a 911 twin turbo. He had driven a 3 performance and was thinking that might be his next car. The girl behind the desk piped in that "Yeh, but they catch on fire." Don't tell me we don't have a brand problem. If we do advertise, we should tout the benefits of EVs first and then mention that Tesla is the leader in EVs.

when do we expect to see estimates for May US sales? Might be a nice bit of positive news what with the share price being so annoyingly low right now. It would cheer me up :D

I'd expect InsideEVs to have an estimate for US sales by Wednesday and I'd expect it will take about ten days for the major European countries to report - with some providing solid numbers of actual deliveries next week.

A couple of market's closed anecdotes since I'm currently dealing with Tesla on two fronts: the X purchase has been the usual on the website side--missed estimate, no automated updates explaining why. But my sales guy has been helpful, letting me know that my car was built last week and I've got 7-10 days left. Took away the worry that delivering by 6/30 was at risk.

On the energy side, I have a non-standard install in that I already have a PV system covering half my roof. Tesla would be filling out the rest. I put my info in on the site, and the initial stuff was great--quick emails as each step was completed, up through the home assessment which also went fine.

Then radio silence. The site said expect a design and contract proposal in 3-5 days. 3 weeks later, two separate energy reps texted and called me asking if I was still interested in pursuing solar. Neither had any idea that I was waiting on a contract and had had a home assessment done. Amateur hour.

But I told them both the situation, and a few hours later a higher-tier rep called, apologized, called the situation unacceptable, and promised to escalate. He also gave me his direct email and phone so I could reach him if things didn't improve.

A couple of days later and I have my contract. Pricing is exactly what was estimated on the site.

So for my two data points, there are still things slipping through the automation cracks, but the actual humans I've dealt with seem to care about my experience and are empowered to help make sure it's positive. They're trying to improve.

Wait for it...

... There it is.

I'd certainly settle for an $800B cap, yes.

BTW installation costs for my proposed Powerwall is a crazy $6000. Double what they say is the max on their website.

I bring my Tesla in to an independent service shop to change between summer and winter tires every 6 months. There is work to be done on these cars.

Any reason at all not to bring your Tesla to any tire shop? I am guessing they may not know what tires are appropriate or stock them, but the work of installing must be same. What about alignment?

Teslas need so little regular maintenance that this seems like the main thing left.

Reactions: neroden
Awesome, thanks. Have you watched that CR video of the 3 driver/testers sitting around a table just shaking their heads at how frightened they were when they tried this option?

The all claimed it tried to change lines into a left lane with a fast-approaching car and they had to override it, and it was so stressful and unsafe. Of course no video. And all other video bloggers have raved about how safe and conservative the lane changes, ESPECIALLY into an adjacent lane with a fast-approaching vehicle in that lane.

My intent is not to drag the investment forum into an AP discussion, but to ask what is going on with CR. Are they making this stuff up, or are they just totally clueless about using the AP? Or maybe the AP is programmed to behave more aggressively in Connecticut? If they are clueless, is there someone that can get them to do a proper test with video? I sure would like to see CR become at least not hostile to Tesla, which they seem to be lately.

I did see a poster on Electrek mention the same behavior. I haven’t observed it, but I’m not sure if I’ve ever been in that situation.

Rivian gets decent press, but let's be real guys, they are not competition that Tesla should be worried about any time soon.

I disagree in the following sense:

Rivian has a real announced pickup, not a concept vehicle, shown both at LA and NY auto shows, and it will be manufactured later this year. I have seen it up close (they had one at an outdoor expo in Arizona a few weeks ago) and talked to some of the team. Vehicle and specs and timeline are very credible, including a factory in Illinois that they got at rock bottom prices.

Tesla does not have an announced pickup vehicle. I hope they do soon.

The ride the lightning podcast, around 54 minutes, Elon talks about upgrading existing superchargers, and states that when they start replacing older locations with v3, they'll start with the v1 superchargers along long distance routes before doing v2 superchargers.

I am curious where these v1 superchargers are, since apparently they cap out at ~75kW no matter what (as opposed to v2 now being able to do ~145kW if nobody is in the paired stall). Seems like v1 superchargers are basically urban chargers... actually, that would be a clever re-use of hardware. Upgrade v1's to v3's, re-deploy the v1's as urban superchargers with little capex relative to a brand new from scratch installation.

I disagree in the following sense:

Rivian has a real announced pickup, not a concept vehicle, shown both at LA and NY auto shows, and it will be manufactured later this year. I have seen it up close (they had one at an outdoor expo in Arizona a few weeks ago) and talked to some of the team. Vehicle and specs and timeline are very credible, including a factory in Illinois that they got at rock bottom prices.

Tesla does not have an announced pickup vehicle. I hope they do soon.

As did lucid, fisker and others. There are several orders of magnitude of difficulty between creating a cool model car to making them en masse. If EM tells you it's insanely hard to make cars and they are still figuring it out after ten plus years, then Rivian has huge barriers in front of them. I am not even going to get into the battery supply/manufacturing problem.

IMO Tesla will crush them.