Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So no, the brand is just fine. That is not to say Tesla doesn’t need to continue to improve in those areas of weakness so that true owner and brand support doesn’t fade resulting in those survey numbers taking a dive.
General awareness of Tesla is still low. Atleast in UK.

https://cdn-autotraderplc.azureedge.net/media/1590/auto-trader-market-report-march-2019.pdf

See page 11.

What brands do consumers trust to deliver the future?

a. See this as an innovative brand

Tesla not mentioned among 24 names.

b. Trust this brand to develop an electric car

Tesla 17/25.

c. Trust this brand to develop autonomous driving features

d. Trust this brand to develop a fully autonomous car

ps : I wonder whether Tesla was not among the names offered for a, c & d. Even that shows how much Tesla is not being considered even by professional pollsters.

Last edited:

https://cdn-autotraderplc.azureedge.net/media/1590/auto-trader-market-report-march-2019.pdf

See page 11.

Tesla 17/25.

I'm hoping that changes when we see Model 3s around here. I remember when I first got my Renault ZOE (when they were still rare here), I had a lot of interest in it. Obviously people know Renault as a brand here, but the car itself generated a lot of interest. I'm sure the Model 3 will as well, and by extension Tesla. I think there are quite a few people here who "know" Tesla as a brand but think the cars are super-expensive things like Bugattis or Bentleys. The Model 3 should change that perception.

Reactions: Vaamo
If Tesla hits those targets with that truck, can we say ‘going to be epic’? Yes. Yes, we can. And we will laugh all the way to the bankola.
I can try to channel what pickup owners in the Houston area like. I only ever owned a very utilitarian one (Explorer Sport Trac), but I don’t think that’s the mainstream. The following does NOT describe “working” trucks.

1) Looks good, but not weird. This is the one that worries me. Musk’s “Blade Runner” comments are scary.

2) Price. People (young people) pay an insane price for their pickups. 50-60K stock is not uncommon.

3) Modification. Raise ‘em. People around here use flooding as an excuse, but we love raised pickups.

4) Hauling. Yeah, but not much. Some plywood from Home Depot or furniture to college.

5) Noise. A silent pickup is a problem.

6) Acceleration. Good, but may not make up for the lack of noise.

7) Camping/adventure. Maybe. The Rivian concept with the slide-out battery-powered inductive stove top is brilliant. Tesla needs to come up with something similar/better.

Unfortunately, I think the true working/off-road truck will be a very hard sell. That’s unfortunate, because the traction of an EV off-road truck would be amazing.

The teardown experts believed that COGS could be in the $28K-$30K range. This tells me that the things elevating COGS on Model 3 are... stupid *sugar*. Stuff that any automotive expert could get straightened out. Therefore, things they're going to be able to fix. The COGS will come down.

Yeah the Munro estimate (edit: also the German report from DaveT so that's two sources which is more comforting) is interesting because that certainly is an appealing number and unlike what is actually being printed on the income statement currently. Resolving the discrepancy, particularly by someone literally asking Tesla what the heck is going on here, would go a long way. They've been asked and their answers always sound hard-earned and incremental. The actual inferred COGS hasn't declined much in the last 3 quarters (maybe $1k-$2k or so), and mostly can be explained by ASP mix shift downward (smaller batteries etc) as well as warranty cost reserve reductions. So it has the character of flatlining at ~38k$ rather than having the slope one would hope for to get down to 28k$-30k$. On a cash basis it's a different story of course.

But it's quite obvious to me that it is this exact problem (high COGS on the 3) that is behind the 50% haircut in the stock price. If cost was 30k$ rather than 38k$, i.e shifted up 8k$ per unit, then obviously profitability is no longer an issue and Tesla could even sell fewer cars and be fine. As it is they have an organic non-GHG margin of 15% and a declining ASP and future loss of tax credit and little evidence of rapid cost improvement. It's perfectly understandable to me why the market is wringing its hands. The investment hypothesis has been pushed out quite a distance and thus more risk. And both you and I and probably the market are skeptical about robotaxi timing.

Last edited:
These things are not mutually exclusive. Advertising should be done right now. How much ? Probably not more than 10 million dollars but unless totally botched the first money spent on advertising is usually VERY effective an should yield a huge return. This has nothing to do wit fixing other issues that should be fixed and done by other people in the company.

I agree and I have yet to see even the shape of a valid counterargument. Elon has mentioned that they might do it in the future but it will be entertaining and informational rather than 'deceptive'. I wonder if he believes that Tesla earns points in customer reputation by the fact that they DON'T advertise. I bet he does because in that case it isn't strictly a dollar efficiency situation and he might think that a little advertising loses all of that credibility and can only be overcome by a lot of advertising (which may not be currently affordable). If he believes that I disagree with him at any rate.

a91ba2tznevt1izhckad.jpg

If we're going weird, futuristic sci fi, we could repurpose the look of the APC from Aliens:

9813_1.jpg

Seriously, though, I think this is unwise. In the podcast, Elon talked about the designers building something they would personally "love." This can work out great when you are familiar with a product to the extent that what you love will translate to a large group of buyers (see Model S and 3). I don't know that what Tesla designers would love in a pickup will translate well to the mass market, US anyway (could be a hit in Japan other than size). Rivian's headlights are polarizing, but the rest of it is very familiar. In a relatively conservative market like trucks, trying to make an EV truck is hard enough without it being a stylistic weirdmobile. It might be a Gen 1 Leaf repeat - early adopters and green leaning folks want it, but doesn't span the gulf to the mass market due to styling/design. Truck people certainly have an image they are trying to convey - see jacked up, off-road macho trucks and the reception of the Ram design aping a big rig look. IMHO, of course, and would be happy to be wrong. :)

Last edited:
If the brand "is just fine", why is the share price in the crapper? I ask as a MS owner and long share holder.
Skepticism from Wall Street in regards to future production/delivery numbers. If you tell Wall Street you're going to do 90k to 100k deliveries in Q2, Tesla should come through on those numbers or the share price will be stuck here.

The teardown experts believed that COGS could be in the $28K-$30K range. This tells me that the things elevating COGS on Model 3 are... stupid *sugar*. Stuff that any automotive expert could get straightened out. Therefore, things they're going to be able to fix. The COGS will come down.
As an example, Elon said in today's ride the lightning podcast that they will have one part of the body stamped for the MY that is the equivalent of 70 parts in the M3 - just through better design. That number sounds almost unbelievable to me and could only drop manufacturing cost significantly.

See page 11.

Tesla 17/25.

ps : I wonder whether Tesla was not among the names offered for a, c & d. Even that shows how much Tesla is not being considered even by professional pollsters.

Awareness is not the same as brand perception. You can’t perceive that which you are generally unaware/ignorant of.

“Ideally” and “should” will end up being not realistic. (Gotta account for Elon’s optimism factor).

For the truck to be functionally better than F150 and faster than 911, it needs to be as fast as P3D and have payload capacity of about 2,000lb. Even the entry R1T is only stated to have 1,670lb rating. (By comparison, the X payload cap is only a little more than half ton). The “ideally” scenario would require a crap ton of batteries.

On the flip side, technically, he didn’t specify which F150 and 911 he’s comparing to. I guess he could be comparing to ones from 30-40 years ago.
He didn't notice the comparison car was a 912.

• Funny
Reactions: saniflash
30 minutes in he talks about the rear structure of the Y going to an aluminum casting that replaces stamped steel with 70 parts. Less costs, less robots and improved NVH.

Munro would be impressed, one make sense the Model 3 get the same treatment. Less costs.

Was there any indication that this would happen for the Model 3 in China? or is it not worth the redesign?

(haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet)

Reactions: neroden
I can try to channel what pickup owners in the Houston area like. I only ever owned a very utilitarian one (Explorer Sport Trac), but I don’t think that’s the mainstream. The following does NOT describe “working” trucks.

1) Looks good, but not weird. This is the one that worries me. Musk’s “Blade Runner” comments are scary.

2) Price. People (young people) pay an insane price for their pickups. 50-60K stock is not uncommon.

3) Modification. Raise ‘em. People around here use flooding as an excuse, but we love raised pickups.

4) Hauling. Yeah, but not much. Some plywood from Home Depot or furniture to college.

5) Noise. A silent pickup is a problem.

6) Acceleration. Good, but may not make up for the lack of noise.

7) Camping/adventure. Maybe. The Rivian concept with the slide-out battery-powered inductive stove top is brilliant. Tesla needs to come up with something similar/better.

Unfortunately, I think the true working/off-road truck will be a very hard sell. That’s unfortunate, because the traction of an EV off-road truck would be amazing.

You’ll see. I’ve always owned pickups for a variety of utility reasons; 1/2 & 3/4 ton.

A lot of vroom, vroom people have come to appreciate Teslas, particularly when they are getting their behinds handed to them on the street and track.

When the various pickup groups are being out towed, outhauled, outworked, outfunned, outperformed by a Tesla truck that has a futurist look to it, they’ll come around. There will be plenty of after market stuffs to dress it up for those who have to make up for other shortcomings. It’ll be fine.