Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the morality of shorting stock.

I did not think it reasonable... but the more there are macro events, particularly ones like China’s past devaluation of their currency, and what appears to be an unplanned and illogical tariff policy and in particular the Tesla Q1 reversal and forward looking statement...

Shorting seems reasonable and defensive.

I still am uncomfortable with borrowing shares and getting money, as though it is riskier than buying stock... Probably never bothers a trader, or AI.

Is there room for discussion about shorting? Or is it taboo?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike Ambler
It's never going to break the strongest support line: $0.

Last year it did wonders.
I will be so annoyed if I have to pay to sell my shares..lol

Anyways, liquidated another batch of other stocks to buy more TSLA. I have way more shares than I first anticipated. Just did the math that if this stock ever goes back to the price of the first batch of shares i paid for at 360, I'll have over a quarter mil. One can dream right? Oh well..keep trying to catch this falling knife.

its possible the analysis of may sales figures might arrest the downward pressure though. there has been a long time with no counter to the 'demand is falling' bullshit. hard sales figures will change that.

Yes, hard sales figures will counter all the downward slide. But, we won’t get that until Q2 report.
Estimates are just estimates. How did estimates for Q1 fare when the hard sales numbers were released?

Reactions: neroden
Regarding the morality of shorting stock.

I did not think it reasonable... but the more there are macro events, particularly ones like China’s past devaluation of their currency, and what appears to be an unplanned and illogical tariff policy and in particular the Tesla Q1 reversal and forward looking statement...

Shorting seems reasonable and defensive.

I still am uncomfortable with borrowing shares and getting money, as though it is riskier than buying stock... Probably never bothers a trader, or AI.

Is there room for discussion about shorting? Or is it taboo?

The way I view shorting is that it is the only form of time travel currently allowed. Meaning you get to sell something before you buy it. Its no different than buying and then selling later on, in reverse. In normal trading, you decide when to buy. Then you wait, perhaps a long time. One day you decide to sell. Well in shorting, you decide to sell, and then you wait a long time to decide when to buy it. Transaction costs, gains/losses, etc are all the same. But risk is not, obviously since it can only go down 100% but can go up many hundreds of % (in the long run). However, I think shorties take care of this by adding shares shorted as it declines, so they are basically reinvesting profits and compounding.

I will be so annoyed if I have to pay to sell my shares..lol

Anyways, liquidated another batch of other stocks to buy more TSLA. I have way more shares than I first anticipated. Just did the math that if this stock ever goes back to the price of the first batch of shares i paid for at 360, I'll have over a quarter mil. One can dream right? Oh well..keep trying to catch this falling knife.

That's very interesting. 360 is very close to where I sold last summer. I bought around Jan 7 2012 (I remember the date cuz it was right around my birthday). I hope this is all spec money for you and not for college funds, retirement, a down payment on a home, etc.

• Informative
Aren't the v1's the original "angular" designs that did 90kW? I don't think any thing did less than that until the non-shared 72kW "Urban Charger" design came out a year or so ago....
Hmm... just got to the point in the Ride the Lightning podcast where Elon referred to some early 75kW Superchargers.... huh, never heard of them. I recall the Supercharger unveil event stipulating they were 90kW from the get-go.

Can we start shaming some of these super wealthy Hollywood types that talk a good talk about climate change into buying TSLA? ;)

FAANGs taking a huge Trump-dump today. TSLA is actually beating most FAANGS:
Trump Dump? Is that where you are angrily typing on your phone at 2AM while trying to pass a 6 pack of hamberdurs?

FAANGS taking a huge Trump-dump today. TSLA is actually beating most FAANGS:
upload_2019-6-3_13-40-42.png

• Informative
I wonder how many others are in a similar situation as myself. I'm tapped out at the moment and the foreseeable future so I can't take advantage of these prices, and with the huge hit to my portfolio this year I can't justify my purchase of a Model 3 so I'm going to get my $1k deposit back. Might as well use it to buy a few more shares. *sigh* The wait for ≡ continues...