Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To maximize the psychological superiority of EV, tesla should raise the roaster 2 price at least $3000 dollars every month once it's sold out. It is a limited production anyway, why not make it an appreciating asset.

Ferrari sells 9k ICEv every year, very profitably.

The Roadster is a concept, which Elon says is dessert but not a priority.

I do my own research before I buy a stock. The reason I'm not worried about Tesla quality is the result of that research showed that Tesla had ZERO serious quality problems on their first mass-produced car, the Model 3. We bought 2 Model 3's, one in May '18 and one in Sept. and both have been perfect. Every Tesla owner I meet I ask them about quality/reliability and I still haven't met one that had a single serious issue. This is outrageously good for a first model year, clean sheet design for ANY manufacturer, let alone a small upstart.

I didn't buy a single share of TSLA until after I had purchased their most important product and spoken, in person, with numerous other owners. I ALWAYS ask them if they have had any issues. While the Internet is full of stories of panel gaps, imperfect paint, etc, I have studied hundreds of exteriors at delivery centers. I have a keen eye for slight mismatches, unparallel lines, etc. I can see these things on every car I look at with a critical eye, Toyota's, Honda's, Teslas, they all have them. Tesla is a little noticeably worse (on average) than most other mainstream cars in terms of body panel precision but nothing I've seen has given me pause. You know why? Because it simply doesn't matter! Real car buyers either can't notice it at all or they simply don't care as long as it's slight. The hundreds of Tesla I have studied up close have mostly been nearly perfect.

I don't know, maybe they send the best ones to Washington State? :rolleyes:

Totally concur with this. I've seen a lot of M3 at the Superchargers in Belgium, France, Holland, Germany, Denmark and every one has looked flawless.

+1 on the build quality issue. I talk to people all over the place locally. Have not met a single person with any real issues. The people that freak out about panel alignment or tiny paint flaws will never be happy. Drive your car for 6 months and that happens anyway.
To maximize the psychological superiority of EV, tesla should raise the roaster 2 price at least $3000 dollars every month once it's sold out. It is a limited production anyway, why not make it an appreciating asset.
I have zero doubts that it will appreciate on it's own. If I had 200k to throw down I'd totally buy one. A limited production EV with hyper car performance? People will be flipping them right out of the gate for a solid profit.

there's a lot more to the Chinese story than just 2 numbers, though. the story of Q2 is people were holding out to see if the Chinese-made Teslas would be wildly cheaper. now that we know they're not, we should see demand for imported Teslas resume.
I wonder if some might even accelerate their plans in order to avoid any possible increased tariff nonsense.

It is a limited production anyway, why not make it an appreciating asset.

Who said that? (Besides yourself)

Maybe they will have only 1,000 or so for the first production of the Founder’s model. Don’t know about the original roadster, but the Founder’s series aren’t anything special.

Besides, Tesla as a brand is not in the supercar category. The more 2020 roadster they can sell, the better for their financials.
Tesla cars are about the technology, and technology always advances.

Last edited:
there's a lot more to the Chinese story than just 2 numbers, though. the story of Q2 is people were holding out to see if the Chinese-made Teslas would be wildly cheaper. now that we know they're not, we should see demand for imported Teslas resume.

Maybe, maybe there’s inventory in China, it’s hard to tell but at the very least it makes me really question what demand is for the higher end models.

Who said that? (Besides yourself)

Maybe they will have only 1,000 or so for the first production of the Founder’s model. Don’t know about the original roadster, but the Founder’s series aren’t anything special.
With cars, that doesn't matter. Special editions are special editions. Some old cars have wildly different values for model variants that are technically worse (like no AC or something) just because they are rare.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe there’s inventory in China, it’s hard to tell but at the very least it makes me really question what demand is for the higher end models.

There's no significant inventory in China. Why do you think there might be? I think you have been reading too much FUD. Tesla will be production constrained for long into the future. They have one auto-factory churning out cars for the entire world and people that can afford them are snapping them up ASAP. People who can't quite afford them are saving their money because they want to drive a Tesla. They are just too cool for words and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I'm less than 50% in TSLA, and that's my limit, but *that's because I do need money in the near term*; I live off my investments. I'd invest more if I had another income.

If you don’t mind answering, what will you do if Tesla appreciates faster than your other investments such that it becomes 60%, then 70%... of your portfolio? Nice problem to worry about, right?:)

There's no real agreement on that. :confused:

Here's the major ones I see:
  1. Steam engine and the victory of progressive science over regressive superstition
  2. Electrification of industry, oil and gas and the resulting enablement of electricity driven mass production
  3. Software (digital technologies)
  4. Robotization of industry (and AIs), containerization
  5. Renewables, electrification of transportation, self-driving.
Note how the 5th unifies the 2nd, 3rd and 4th and completes the elimination of the "human robot" from industrial production (human workers).

(The 6th industrial revolution might as well be Musk Industries building an interplanetary industrial base. :D)

It's worth noting that the steam engine allowed "machinery" previously developed for and driven by water wheels in Europe to be moved to more commercially felicitous locations. In other words, there already existed sophisticated mechanisms to which steam engines might be attached once these engines had been developed to pump out mine shafts. Simply being able to then move power to the task vs moving the task to the power was significant. The steam engine was part of a progression within a particular geographic, cultural, and economic context.

As an aside, this raises interesting questions about why previous societies, such as the Roman and relatively early Chinese empire(s), which used fairly sophisticated water wheel driven machinery for certain tasks (think grain) chose not to expand this use to the other tasks that the Europeans did choose to do with water power. (However, it would be a mistake to conclude from this aside that the current re-emerging Chinese empire doesn't grasp the health, economic, and military advantages of electric vehicles. The US should thank its lucky stars it has Tesla. )

Regarding your #2 electrification, electric motors allowed a reconfiguration of tasks on the factory floor yielding considerable efficiency gains; again moving power closer to the task. Though in retrospect, this took a surprisingly long time to ramify through the industrial base.

I point these things out because it as important understand the systems into which innovation will be introduced (and other cumulative 'lesser' innovations) as it is to understand the major innovations themselves.

FWIW, Elon Musk appears to understand this and looks to me to be conducting a coordinated campaign of innovation across industrial sectors based on this understanding. One of the many reasons I'm very, very long on TSLA.

I’m not reading FUD homeboy, there is inventory by Tesla’s own numbers, so where are these people snapping up every single one?

Jesus take off your bull goggles and look at it with some logic.

Inventory is normal. Do you think the inventory looks excessive?

I just don't see your (alleged) concern. You do know that every car that is not paid for is counted as "inventory" even if it's fresh off the ship?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Inventory is normal. Do you think the inventory looks excessive?

I just don't see your concern. You do know that every car that is not paid for is counted as "inventory" even if it's fresh off the ship?:rolleyes:

Yes, my point is there are lower average load times per ship to China by a noticeable amount. Compared to a higher one this quarter to Europe.

Why is that?:rolleyes:

With cars, that doesn't matter. Special editions are special editions. Some old cars have wildly different values for model variants that are technically worse (like no AC or something) just because they are rare.

Right, I very well understand that. (Although not my flavor, I have a friend who is a classic collector).
What I’m trying to say is Tesla has not indicated any mention of limiting 2020 Roadster production. So, it won’t be appreciating because of rarity as far as we know right now. Also, like I said, nothing in Tesla’s best financial interest to be limiting any kind of production with demand present.

Their Founder’s cars has not been much, if any, different from their regular non-Founders cars. They’re just older builds. Plus, products based on technology doesn’t usually appreciate in price because technology is always advancing and making it cheaper.

Reactions: Doggydogworld