Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in Tesla's case, they could spin off the remains of Maxwell (e.g. just their supercap business, minus the dry electrode tech) as a new company and issue shares in it as a dividend. Which shorts can't buy to deliver because they're not yet available on the market. Clever. :)
That's a good example and one that could (should) be implemented currently. Thanks.

Since most stock trucks aren't really setup for serious rock crawling I'm not sure why Tesla's would need to be.

Because at Tesla we do this on every possible metric:
54B740DC-D500-4A61-8054-07F9BB9762D1.png

Because at Tesla we do this on every possible metric:
View attachment 436506

People talk like bottoming out a pickup is some theoretical hypothetical that only applies to people doing extreme rock crawling. It's not. If you live in a place that has rocks in the terrain, and you do anything offroad (e.g. driving across your land or whatnot), or take the sort of "4x4 vehicle required" backroads that people buy pickups specifically in order to be able to take, you're in a very real risk of unintentionally hitting your underside on a rock.

I've never deliberately set out to do "rock crawling", but just by virtue of driving my land and driving the highlands, I've hit rocks multiple times. This is the sort of stuff that people use pickups for. You need to be able to handle it, or your truck will be mocked as a toy for city dwellers.

Last edited:
Not to argue with @ReflexFunds thoughts on battery manufacturing complexities - they clearly know more about this than I do - but I think this speaks more to the low likelyhood of start-up battery manufacturing companies popping up than the Tesla-Pana relationship. Let's not forget this partnership required close cooperation for the past 7-8 years and especially since we have GF1 and they are under the same roof. There is no telling how much expertise Tesla acquired via this close working relationship on engineering both the chemistry and the manufacturing process and possible executive defections from Pana.

Could still be an insurmountable barrier, but it's not exactly like Tesla just gets cells delivered in brown boxes and have absolutely no clue about how the sausage is made. That's more the German model and partially the root cause of their problems.

Having said that, building out a GF is extremely capital intensive and if Tesla owns the end-to-end, they have to pony up all the cash. In the current set up, they share the burden with Pana (or who ever does the cells in subsequent GFs) and exchange pay for what appears to be the cell manufacturers razor thin profits per cell.

People talk like bottoming out a pickup is some theoretical hypothetical that only applies to people doing extreme rock crawling. It's not. If you live in a place that has rocks in the terrain, and you do anything offroad (e.g. driving across your land or whatnot), or take the sort of "4x4 vehicle required" backroad vehicles that people buy pickups specifically in order to be able to take, you're in a very real risk of unintentionally hitting your underside on a rock.

I've never deliberately set out to do "rock crawling", but just by virtue of driving my land and driving the highlands, I've hit rocks multiple times. This is the sort of stuff that people use pickups for. You need to be able to handle it, or your truck will be mocked as a toy for city dwellers.

Yeah - and just see what can happen if you approach an ice lake and don't have enough underbody armoring, and hit a rock on the way down to the lake surface, with a Model X:

I believe Elon is clearly aware of this:

Elon Musk: The Recode interview

"I’m personally super-excited by this pickup truck. It’s something I’ve been wanting to make for a long time. And I’ve been iterating sort of designs with Franz ... It’s like I really wanted something that’s like super-futuristic cyberpunk. Which, if it doesn’t ... if I’m weirdly like ... if there’s only a small number of people that like that truck, I guess we’ll make a more conventional truck in the future. But it’s the thing that I am personally most fired up about. It’s gonna have a lot of titanium."​

One of the primary uses of titanium alloys is to make a "real" pickup truck with a lot of structural integrity/rigidity and good corrosion resistance - and good bottom armoring.

Titanium would also allow rather exciting color patterns on a paint-less frame, as you pointed it out a few months ago:

By using titanium alloys I think they might be able to make a unibody pickup truck with good off-road characteristics - versus the more traditional body-on-frame approach that for example the Rivian R1T uses too. But body-on-frame would be acceptable too I suspect - and it's a natural design approach with a rigid skateboard design.

IMHO it would be a major product design mistake if it wasn't a "real" pickup truck that can withstand hitting rocks. Such a truck would be mocked no end. Maybe the 'off-road' version will be a higher priced model variant - but I really hope off-road robustness has a central place in their thinking.

OT: TSLA price has reached the 100V color which should not be named! :D

Last edited:
OT: Ever wish you hadn’t sold ENPH for $2 because you thought the Chinese were going to start making inverters for less. Good for you Enphase.
OT2: On said day when you look at the other major solar holding you had and sold, SPWR, and thought, that’s odd they are only up 9%, didn’t they buy ENPH. Maybe I should buy some SPWR back... but I’m out of powder :(, because of TSLA. Good news, by my record, Tesla only has 3 more years to go exponential. Bad news, it may go to $50 first.

I am interested to know exactly what is causing the auto industry collapse so quickly.
I think Tesla's impact on BMW/Mercedes gross profit is much greater than its impact on overall volume due to operating leverage, as well as increased discounts on the increased competition plus Tesla's focus on the more profitable models/options.

As an illustration, Daimler's 2Q19 car volume fell 2.6% to 576k while its adjusted EBIT per car collapsed 37% to EUR2.0k (its reported EBIT was actually negative EUR1.2k per car due to recalls/diesel scandal etc). I think this was partly due to worse vehicle mix on underperformance in SUVs, as well as to tariffs/cost inflation, adverse FX and higher R&D (possibly for EVs), but I would guess Model 3 has also already had a significant impact beyond the simple stolen market share.

The free cash flow collapse is even worse with 1H19 FCF at negative EUR3.3bn from positive EUR1.8bn in the same period last year.

The car industry as a whole has headwinds, at least in the US. Teenagers are delaying getting their drivers licenses, and the entire population is slowly moving towards using Uber/lyft more. Uber is so fast and efficient that more and more people are opting not to buy cars at all.

In all likelihood, the manipulator hedge funds will do what they need to do this week to keep the SP under 250. But their game is getting ever more perilous for them.

One modest bull run could convincingly pierce 250 and require covering that could cause a melt up of the SP.

We all keep trying to predict a catalyst for an SP rise, but that doesn’t have to be business related. It could just be some new money smelling an opportunity.

Is this only possible with digital shares? I like the idea, but the execution seems to involve some sort of blockchain security that can only be traded on an alternative exchange.
The alternative exchange, controlled by OSTK, is the whole point. They're trying to create an illiquid security that short sellers will owe but can't buy. It's just more manipulation by Wacky Paddy. If he can pump the stock enough he can issue still more shares and extend the runway for his shrinking, money-losing company.