Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From experience, I can tell you the Icelandic Police do enforce their speed limits rigorously and the fines are eye-watering once you get a bit of a lick on...

(and yes, it was around 80mph...)

Police aren't common once you get away from Reykjavík. Really rare, actually, in my experience. But you're dead on with fines. Said 80mph /129 kph would be 115k ISK ($920) and two points on your license. Just 2 kph more raises it to 150k ISK ($1210) and three points. 141kph (88 mph) is an automatic loss of license for a month, alongside a $1690 fine. 171 kph (106 mph) leads to criminal charges.

I understand that Norway is even worse.

Today's most hilarious fair and balanced headline about the Starship hopper by the mainstream media:

We are only reporting the facts sir, only the facts! :D

Are you trying to say this isn't normal reporting? I mean, the news following all of the Apollo launches back in the 1960s and '70s right up to the last Space Shuttle launch focused on how uncomfortable the launches made the local residents feel. The success of the missions was always secondary to the main story of nervous residents. :rolleyes:

We drove from Reykjavik to Akureyri and back, plus a bit of driving off the ring road and I'd say in all that driving we saw a Police car on the road about 4 times in a week. Trouble is they seem to have their dash-mounted radar gun on all the time and I came across the first one at the end of a straight just as he was coming around the bend in the opposite direction. Unsurprisingly, I hadn't brought my radar detector with me for that trip.

He was actually quite nice to me but seemed a little surprised at the number he saw on his radar, so I don't think he catches many tourists at that speed. It wasn't snowy on the roads at that time, I hasten to add.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
We drove from Reykjavik to Akureyri and back, plus a bit of driving off the ring road and I'd say in all that driving we saw a Police car on the road about 4 times in a week. Trouble is they seem to have their dash-mounted radar gun on all the time and I came across the first one at the end of a straight just as he was coming around the bend in the opposite direction. Unsurprisingly, I hadn't brought my radar detector with me for that trip.

He was actually quite nice to me but seemed a little surprised at the speed he saw on his radar, so I don't think he catches many tourists at that speed. It wasn't snowy on the roads at that time, I hasten to add.

You had bad luck, unless you were right outside a town of significance :)

But yeah... speed limits are low here... and going significantly over them is a dumb idea, for many reasons. Basically... just driving normally here equals hypermiling. ;)

the latest available NOA does not recognize stoplights or read signs, or gaze track... there is more, if you pay attention. (to reassure you, if it doesn't have it now I am sure it will one day soon.). I am annoyed that NOA seems to find the center of the road based upon the closest painted lines on the road.

Nvidia seems to be one of the most capable competitors, and has the means to partner with the auto industry. No one mentions Intel-Mobileye. Both have the means to do the R&D at a larger scale. (I understand the cars on the road are a big advantage and automatically agree with Hotz, I am biased.)

Reading the signs is trivial, so I've always assume it was down to processor/compute limitations. Once the FSD computer is utilized, I'm sure they'll all of a sudden appear.

BTW, not trying to dismiss every other large autonomous driving company (I own NVidia and Intel stock), but I think Elon Musk's approach has shown that it has a way of doing things that others can't. I'd bet more on a small startup vs. these large companies competing with Tesla.

Reactions: humbaba
With M3 production scaled and stable in the US, plus production about to begin at GF3, we should be jiggling the underside of an ATH contemplating an even higher breakout. I was fine absorbing the post-take-private blowback, but execution of the plan is far better than acceptable now.

I suspect the rocket will take off once monied parties arrive back from the beach and take their first hard look at reality since Memorial Day.

People, whether bulls or bears, write some of the most hilarious stuff on stocktwits:

"Remember, $amzn is just a stupid online bookseller, it's stock will NEVER break $10. A friend shorted it at $870. He was hospitalized at $1200. Sadly we laid him to rest at $1500. $tsla is just a toy car company by an unproven tech guy who's like maybe sorta only saving the world and like global energy stuff. Stupid car outsells all other cars produced by human kind by revenue up to this point. Stock will never break $50. GL w that strategy. Cremation or casket? Bullish"
Just to add some other hilarious stuff. Was there also a story about this other guy who bought AMZN in 1999 and margined his full position after it reached $100 around 20th April, because "it can only go up from there"?
Fast forward 2 1/2 years. On 24 September 2001, AMZN was below $6. It took 10 1/2 years, until October 2009, till AMZN surpassed the original SP of April 1999.
The gravestone says "He was a true hardcore buy and holder. If he just would not only have been at the right place, but also at the right time, he would still live happily."
Trying to value both sides of the coin...

Since we're talking Iceland, interesting chart in this Electrek story... they are #2 in the world, behind Norway, in EVs as a percentage of total vehicle sales.

I keep telling people, and people keep refusing to believe it because our population is so low... Iceland's Tesla sales are going to be surprisingly high. I think we'll level out at a sustainable demand at about 5% of Norway in the near term... levels perhaps around that of Austria or Italy (unless they get their acts together more ;) ). We'd have a much higher EV adoption rate today if Tesla were here - remember that we're at our current levels without the most popular EV in Europe, and with terrible charging infrastructure (max = 50kW, with the Ring Road only completed a year ago).

Our incentives are roughly the same as Norway's. Our power is even cleaner. Three quarters of the population lives in the Reykjavík metro. Tesla is simply going to take over the market here.

Autoworkers vote overwhelmingly for strike at Ford, GM, and Chrysler plants

Autoworkers at Fiat Chrysler’s Warren Truck assembly plant in suburban Detroit moved quickly in and out of the local United Auto Workers union hall Tuesday, casting ballots to authorize the UAW to call a strike when their four-year labor agreement expires at midnight on Saturday, September 14.

While voting to authorize a strike, workers have no confidence in the UAW, which has colluded with management for decades and has accepted millions in bribes for signing pro-company contracts.

The results of the voting thus far at several large factories show near unanimous support for strike action. These include Fiat-Chrysler’s Sterling Heights Assembly (96 percent in favor), Trenton Engine (91 percent) and Belvidere Assembly (94 percent); GM’s Spring Hill, Tennessee, assembly plant (99 percent), Tonawanda Powertrain (98 percent), Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly (96 percent); and Ford’s Cleveland Engine (93 percent).

Voting is continuing today at several large factories, including Ford’s Louisville plants, which employ 12,000 workers. The vote totals are expected to be released by the end of the week.