Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just...

The exact same Model S you can buy today, so that they don't have to change a dang thing, and people can order them immediately, and Tesla's global inventory isn't obsoleted.

Hmm, which to choose, which to choose...

YEAH for track testing at the Ring right now I vote for the current (Raven) Model S. Get the data which should be very good whether it beats the Taycan or not, at a drastically lower price, for a car you can buy right now. Now the staging is set for more improvements that we all know are coming when they are ready.

YEAH for track testing at the Ring right now I vote for the current (Raven) Model S. Get the data which should be very good whether it beats the Taycan or not, at a drastically lower price, for a car you can buy right now. Now the staging is set for more improvements that we all know are coming when they are ready.

And then assuming they beat it, they get a massive order surge, particularly for people who planned to buy the Taycan (thinking it was going to be Model S-priced) but are now facing sticker shock. But not just them. It amazes me how many people, even Tesla fans, still think the tech in the Model S's powertrain hasn't changed over the past years and that they can't do track duty. This will be a big shock to a lot of people.

They need to do this.

I really hope that they get a slot next week - or if not, soon thereafter.

Yeppers!
Regen (full accelerator lift) + braking.
Could add more regen too.

Is regent something that can just be turned up OTA?

Correct me if I’m wrong, from what I’ve read around the net, the Taycan has a much stronger regen than Teslas (265KW vs ~70kW).

Add that to the fact the pads are probably better, the rotors are a lot bigger on the Taycan, and it comes with 10 piston front calipers in front for the Turbo model. Driving dynamics is Porsche’s forte, efficiency is not. No one buys a Porsche to have an efficient car.

Different target market from the average Tesla buyer.

Is regent something that can just be turned up OTA?

Correct me if I’m wrong, from what I’ve read around the net, the Taycan has a much stronger regen than Teslas (265KW vs ~70kW).

Add that to the fact the pads are probably better, the rotors are a lot bigger on the Taycan, and it comes with 10 piston front calipers in front for the Turbo model. Driving dynamics is Porsche’s forte, efficiency is not. No one buys a Porsche to have an efficient car.

Different target market from the average Tesla buyer.

Regen is pure software up to the hardware limits of the drive units and pack. So there is likely already buffer there and the present limits are set at a level to allow driving by average people with the regen on accelerator setup. So they could potentially have both accelerator and brake pedal based regen.

Taycan does have higher regen tied to the brake pedal and more impressive* brake hardware.

*I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes outside of a track. Less heat per brake pad area and higher mechanical advantage.

You obviously didn't read my post.

Let me ask this again - without changing NN (because the 2 cars have the same NN) how could their AP behavior be different based on how many times the cars have been driven on a particular route ?
Its simple: neural networks are not deterministic, so you can't treat them that way. They are probabilistic. Which means what you experience may stay the same, degrade or improve -- all while doing the "same" things. And there is so much variability that no one, not you, not the people you were quoting, no one (outside of Tesla) even has a chance of collecting enough data points to make any statistically meaningful statements.

1. Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 20m20 minutes ago

For the remainder of September, Tesla is permanently waiving the $1500 solar removal fee requirement. Note, the ability to stop monthly payments at any time remains.

Looks like Tesla Energy is trying to make some quick "sales".

Its simple: neural networks are not deterministic, so you can't treat them that way. They are probabilistic. Which means what you experience may stay the same, degrade or improve -- all while doing the "same" things. And there is so much variability that no one, not you, not the people you were quoting, no one (outside of Tesla) even has a chance of collecting enough data points to make any statistically meaningful statements.
If, on average, the performance is improving for a specific car that drives a specific route (the probabilities are shifting), something must be changing. I say local map data.

P.S. what do mean this is the investment thread?

That's too broad a statement. NN is probabilistic - about the same way human perception is. But we can still tell when things are improving.

A simple example is - if the car can determine at a particular location that, even though NN is outputting straight lanes with only 60% probability, it is still correct based on driver behavior, it can add that information on top of what NN sends next time to increase the probability. Anyway, instead of going too OT, we can continue the discussion in the thread I had linked.

For the remainder of September, Tesla is permanently waiving the $1500 solar removal fee requirement. Note, the ability to stop monthly payments at any time remains.

The solar business was supposed to go from the SolarCity leasing model to cash sales. Now suddenly they are aggressively renting the panels. What gives?

The solar business was supposed to go from the SolarCity leasing model to cash sales. Now suddenly they are aggressively renting the panels. What gives?

Yes, I think there has been a recent change of strategy, since a month or two. There was some discussion here (among myriad other topics ... ) but don't ask me what the exact plan is. :rolleyes:

Some news from Elon on Twitter:
V10 won't include smart autopark: Elon Musk on Twitter
Nico Rosberg might drive for Tesla @ Nürburgring: Elon Musk on Twitter

I don't think the autopark info is new. V10 is supposed to have Advanced Summon but the part where the car goes and parks for you will come a bit later.

Pretty sure Elon said this earlier but I don't have the source...anyone else have it?

If, on average, the performance is improving for a specific car that drives a specific route (the probabilities are shifting), something must be changing. I say local map data.

P.S. what do mean this is the investment thread?
You don't have enough samples to justify any statement like that. For the same reason as some people see regressions while others go "hey, this is miraculous". But hey, its the weekend. I just got done bottling two different meads. Both tasty (and alcoholic, ~13% ABV), both different. Um... topicality? Right! Raven -> Odin -> Norse -> Mjölnir -> runes --- I give them names that are anagrams of rune names. Later this year I'll be able to sip some UK Naan :D

The pedal is not constantly floored, even on the track. When power's not going to traction, it's going to compression.

Adding many hundreds of kilowatts of motor power weighs a couple hundred kilograms - far more than a clutch or two. And costs far more than a clutch. And you don't actually have the power to run it when you're running the other motors. There's no logic to not using the traction motors.

A model 3 motor is 200kw and weighs 30 kilos. The compressor is going to be about the same. So not hundreds of kilos.

You don't have enough samples to justify any statement like that. For the same reason as some people see regressions while others go "hey, this is miraculous". But hey, its the weekend. I just got done bottling two different meads. Both tasty (and alcoholic, ~13% ABV), both different. Um... topicality? Right! Raven -> Odin -> Norse -> Mjölnir -> runes --- I give them names that are anagrams of rune names. Later this year I'll be able to sip some UK Naan :D

If you want some meadowsweet for flavouring it, I've got it available in basically limitless quantities ;)

I do believe that Diess really wants to go electric. But he's hobbled by the company's current infrastructure, investor expectations, and a board who's not as enthusiastic as he is.
Haha, good analogy! But Daimler isn't trying to get OFF the tracks (that was GM when they stopped selling cars in Europe due to their unwillingness to meet stricter CO2 emissions limits).

Daimler challenge is trying to get ON the train. The problem is the train has already left the station and is accelerating. It's already faster than a walking pace, an Daimler may stumble as the try to jump onboard.

Of course, dragging their ICE legacy products behind them isn't speed them up, either. They, and others, may stumble and fall. But in 2025 when you can buy a car that is better in every way than the current Model 3, for a price approaching $25K, who among us as consumers will care enough to attend the funeral?

Cheers!