Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the last Tesla cargo ship left yet for the month, or maybe real soon? Wondering whether we have an idea yet of q3 vs q2 overseas shipments based on the number of ships.

Tesla Carriers

Yes, Lydden has left for China. Will arrive around 9/20.

Europe
6 in Q3 vs 5 in Q2. Longer loading times in Q3

China
5 in Q3 vs 7 in Q2. Longer loading times in Q3. One boat left Q2 and arrived in Q3 (so essentially 6 vs 6).

Last edited:
So AB 1046 hasn't died, but the bill was definitely watered down -- now more of an intent bill and reliant upon later-enacted legislation to give the Treasurer authority to establish the funding.

Updated bill text here.

AB-1046 passed Senate Appropriations. It's been placed on suspense file. What that means on some level, which I don't completed understand, is available here.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
There's some good coverage from fair people like David Tracy at Jalopnik. The problem is that there is at least one other on Jalopnik with a bigger voice that downright hates Elon and Tesla and has to go out of their way to FUD at every turn. Basically people who are afraid of how this EV future is going to change car culture.
I think there is a lot of truth in this. I'm not really a *car* guy, so I just see the Teslas as exceptionally engineered vehicles (that can also move us to sustainability!). But it appears that others see them as a cognitive dissonance that threatens a way of life or a perceived area of expertise. I count this as different from pure financial threats (big oil, independent dealerships, ICE manufacturers).

Mercedes? Or maybe BMW? If I recall from driving out to Jekyll Island years ago, Mercedes and BMW have a huge lot there at the port.

Did they ever find out why all those BMW's were burning? I see no mention since February 2019. Did they just stop spontaneously combusting? Maybe the TSLAQ folks are running around with fire extinguishers to put them out so no one notices.
As mysterious BMW fires continue, calls for investigation into possible causes grow
Feb 5, 2019, 5:01 AM ET
As mysterious BMW fires continue, calls for investigation into possible causes grow

For some reason, having Overheat Protection on causes some battery drain even if it never triggers the cooling system. Don’t ask me why, but I have gotten repeatable results. When I park in my airport’s parking garage (never gets hot enough to trigger Overheat Protection) and leave Overheat on, I get about 2% drain per day. When I leave it off, I get about 1% per week.
Pulling up this old post to report this no longer seems to be true (at least for me). I retested this last week while the car was parked at the airport for 5 days. This time I left Cabin Overheat Protection ON and only saw a total 1% drain. So either I hallucinated the earlier behavior, or there was a firmware fix somewhere along the line.

Battery Day

With all the discussion regarding Jeff Dahn's group's recent dramatic battery chemistry breakthroughs and the ongoing work with Maxwell which long preceded the company's acquisition by Tesla, I think this is going to be a very, VERY interesting day. Still some time to add to my position before the coming revelations.

Not an advice

China explores ambitious goal for EV sales by 2035

China is exploring ambitious new plans for the future of its auto industry, weighing a target for 60 percent of all automobiles sold in the country to run on electric motors by 2035, according to people familiar with the matter.

China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology is spearheading the government’s latest auto industry plans for 2021 through 2035, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing matters that haven’t been made public. The proposals are still under discussion and subject to change, according to the people. The ministry said in July that it plans to disclose a draft of the targets by the end of the year.

China’s last roadmap on the auto industry was announced in 2017, when the government said new energy vehicles -- all-electric, fuel-celled autos and plugin hybrids -- would account for more than 20 percent of the country’s total vehicle sales by 2025. Under the latest proposal, the NEV target for 2030 is 40 percent, according to one of the people, as the country looks to lead the world in the push away away from combustion engines.

China’s industry ministry said the plans are being made and related content studied, without elaborating.

The 2035 target would represent a 12-fold jump in the proportion of NEVs sold now, which stands at about 5 percent, and adds pressure for global carmakers to electrify their fleets to compete in the world’s largest car market. China typically sets national-level goals for high-priority industries to help guide Beijing in setting measures such as subsidies and tax breaks.

China explores ambitious goal for EV sales by 2035

China is exploring ambitious new plans for the future of its auto industry, weighing a target for 60 percent of all automobiles sold in the country to run on electric motors by 2035, according to people familiar with the matter.

China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology is spearheading the government’s latest auto industry plans for 2021 through 2035, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing matters that haven’t been made public. The proposals are still under discussion and subject to change, according to the people. The ministry said in July that it plans to disclose a draft of the targets by the end of the year.

China’s last roadmap on the auto industry was announced in 2017, when the government said new energy vehicles -- all-electric, fuel-celled autos and plugin hybrids -- would account for more than 20 percent of the country’s total vehicle sales by 2025. Under the latest proposal, the NEV target for 2030 is 40 percent, according to one of the people, as the country looks to lead the world in the push away away from combustion engines.

China’s industry ministry said the plans are being made and related content studied, without elaborating.

The 2035 target would represent a 12-fold jump in the proportion of NEVs sold now, which stands at about 5 percent, and adds pressure for global carmakers to electrify their fleets to compete in the world’s largest car market. China typically sets national-level goals for high-priority industries to help guide Beijing in setting measures such as subsidies and tax breaks.

That's a huge amount of cars that needs to be replaced. 28 million cars per year. 16.8 million EVs per year. For 2020, the target is 10% which means 2.8mil cars need to be EV.

Never thought I'd say this, but China just has the ripe condition where there's no entranced ICE maker that can influence politicians and an engineering based leadership who are hungry for tech as well as the authoritarian power to kill off the traditional dirty industry at will.

Never thought I'd say this, but China just has the ripe condition where there's no entranced ICE maker that can influence politicians and an engineering based leadership who are hungry for tech as well as the authoritarian power to kill off the traditional dirty industry at will.

China looks toward the future as progress. Of course there are dissidents, sometimes powerful in specific areas, but I doubt they have 40% of its population looking to bygone days of white supremacy as progress. Not to ignore the plight of some ethnic groups in China as well. There are supremaracists aplenty everywhere. One is too much. The category of race is itself racist. Proof? Babies have to be taught to hate.

That's a huge amount of cars that needs to be replaced. 28 million cars per year. 16.8 million EVs per year. For 2020, the target is 10% which means 2.8mil cars need to be EV.

Who would have thought 20 years ago, China would be the country that will almost single handily bring down the fossil fuels industry. Euro and specifically certain countries in the Euro do significantly more, but their impact is pretty much non existent because of their small presence in the world economy. Chinas impact is so large it can force the transation.

For 2020, the target is 10% which means 2.8mil cars need to be EV.
Minor correction here - the requirement is carmakers need NEV credits equal to 10% of sales (might be 12%, I don't track the frequent changes that closely). Since a long range BEV can earn 4-5 credits the industry can meet the requirement less than a million NEVs. Or a mix of 1-2 million BEVs and PHEVs of various ranges.

They also frequently change the amount of credits each type of car earns, so the above numbers may be slightly out of date. But the gist is correct - they'll meet the 2020 requirement without breaking a sweat.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
China looks toward the future as progress. Of course there are dissidents, sometimes powerful in specific areas, but I doubt they have 40% of its population looking to bygone days of white supremacy as progress. Not to ignore the plight of some ethnic groups in China as well. There are supremaracists aplenty everywhere. One is too much. The category of race is itself racist. Proof? Babies have to be taught to hate.

From what I understand of China. They are still recovering from the after effect of the self labeled "Sick man of China". Supremacist thinking was only a distant memory in some history films when China first invented gun powder and were calling White people "savages". Supremacist thinking that is present in the western world does not exist in China yet. You can see some form of it in how residents of Beijin look down on the rest of the country, or how Hong Kong people used to look down on Mainland Chinese. But they've never known true supremacist where they look down on everything that's not "made in China".

Some say that Chinese people are proud and is developing this unhealthy stuck up attitude of "China is best." But that's more of a reaction (and careful brainwashing from the gov) from decades of being considered trash. (we literally dump our trash in China). The government is carefully rebuilding the people's pride of China and I believe this is necessary to increase the consumption of their own products and transition to technological breakthroughs instead of just copying others.

I believe having China, USA and Europe all becoming innovators and consumers will increase the world GDP (If I remember correctly, this was the direction the Obama administration was aiming at during the great recession so that it's not just the USA doing the consuming and propping up the world economy) lately, it seems that the new direction from USA's attitude towards China is to hamper their progress and prevent this from happening.

To be honest, I do not think the measures taken by the current USA administration is meaningful at all. The factories will simply scatter to the rest of asia. So USA still won't see the increase in jobs. The IP transfer will continue to happen, USA is not the only source of tech. From what I am seeing, China is getting a more steady source of IP from the EU by buying up companies there and transferring all the technology back to China. Until USA can force EU to stop doing any business with China, the IP transfer will continue.

OT: EV sales in Eygptian?

ED_VR2MX4AAHrnd.jpg

:p