Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article yesterday from Jalopnik, Mack Hogan, claims that Tesla EV competitors have dramatically lower range because they have dramatically more rugged and better cooled battery packs. Includes some diagrams of e-Tron to support its case. Claim is that e-Tron cools at the individual battery module level rather than whole pack, and modules can be replaced individually.

https://jalopnik.com/why-no-one-is-beating-teslas-range-1837952903

Anything to this claim, or pure FUD? Seems to be implying that Tesla’s battery cooling technology is sacrificed to gain competitive range, and batteries should not last well. I don’t know of any supporting data, seems Teslas have done real well over multiple 100k miles.
You may recall that Jalopnik also claimed the Model S would never be built. I recommend not given them any clicks.

Possible. Port of Brunswick is 2nd largest auto port in the country,, according to this article: Brunswick auto port doubled capacity in 2017

The ship was on its way to Baltimore, but the news report about Model 3's for the UK being transported east was talking about the Port of Philadelphia. For faster deliveries to the UK & Europe, Tesla is moving Model 3s to the Port of Philadelphia. It was retweetet by Philaport.

So unless this ship was going to continue to Philadelphia after picking up cars in Baltimore, before going to Europe, it doesn't affect Tesla deliveries. I cannot imagine Tesla leaving the cars standing on the docks for a week, as they would lose much of the time they gained.

I hope the missing crew members are okay.

Article yesterday from Jalopnik, Mack Hogan, claims that Tesla EV competitors have dramatically lower range because they have dramatically more rugged and better cooled battery packs. Includes some diagrams of e-Tron to support its case. Claim is that e-Tron cools at the individual battery module level rather than whole pack, and modules can be replaced individually.

Anything to this claim, or pure FUD? Seems to be implying that Tesla’s battery cooling technology is sacrificed to gain competitive range, and batteries should not last well. I don’t know of any supporting data, seems Teslas have done real well over multiple 100k miles.

It is mostly deliberate FUD, plus likely some element of misunderstanding because he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Audi has worse software and worse technology so they need more expensive and more cumbersome hardware and are able to access less of their battery capacity.

There's no indication Tesla's powertrain is less reliable than anyone else's, plus a huge amount of data that their battery degradation is much better than anyone else's (which in part requires better cooling).

They are exaggerating motor cooling problems with the old Model S, and ignoring that Tesla completely changed the Powertrain back in April.

FUD. Jalopnik is trying to rationalize the inferiority of the specs of the other vehicles.

Agree. Also, we only know the products that will be revealed this year and likely put into production by 2021.

Tesla will likely have six new products in six years (2016-2021) -- Model X, Model 3, Model Y, Pickup, Roadster and Semi. Does anybody really think there won't be new products rolling out from 2022-2025?

Of course there will be -- possibilities include smaller cars, different flavors of SUVs, maybe smaller and larger pickups (from Ford Ranger through Ford F650), van(s), smaller trucks, other commercial vehicles, etc.

Elon is talking about multiple TWh/year. He's not going to stop once the Model Y, Semi, pickup and Roadster are in production. The line-up in 2025 will almost certainly be larger than what has been announced so far. Zach's number is way too low.
Commercial Sprinter van, a Jeep style vehicle and a full size luxury SUV. How many truck models do they need, there’s several size trucks and can styles I’d think a large truck with back seats is the most profitable, but medium and small sized is needed, especially is emerging markets.
Smaller then a model 3 may never make sense, unless they build something specifically for urban robot taxi markets, smaller body boxy. If FSD happens, small urban cars won’t make sense for budget conscious consumers.

Reactions: EinSV

Pure FUD.

If e-Tron benefits from cooling individual battery modules at different rates, that means they are experiencing uneven heating which implies they have serious problems!

If so, it's a good thing their modules are individually replaceable. And that could become a nice profit center for Audi down the road. "I'm sorry to tell you, we determined that battery module #26 has failed - the good news is it will only be $1300 to replace it."

Next month: "It looks like battery module #8 has failed. The good news is it will only be $1300 to replace it."

Last edited:
You're not going to get a 7:45 if there are other cars on the track. The Porsche run had an empty track. This is dangerous business even with professional drivers on a closed course.

I'm surprised people think Tesla is going to do a timed run with no prior practice.

I am not an expert, but if I am organising this, 2 weeks of practice / tuning, stealth bookings for the actual run in early October and Mid-October, if possible GF4 announcement even sandwiched between the stealth bookings, Elon back in the US for earnings and the Pickup reveal.

On my way home this evening I stopped by the Tesla store (opening tomorrow). I got there at 7:40 PM. There was one car leaving, one car checking out the store (left shortly thereafter), and during the brief period I was there, two more cars arrived to check it out, plus a guy on a bike ;)

Lots of interest for an after-hours not-open-yet store! ;)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look likely to be carrying Teslas, based on its route.

I say "unfortunately" because that would just mean extra sales - first to the insurance company, and then later to the originally intended buyers.
I would argue Tesla sells more cars by getting cars out to customers faster. Not having a delay is better than dealing with some insurance fiasco and fulfill those same orders again later.

Every new Tesla owner sells more Teslas. Sooner they have their car, sooner that they can engage with new potential owners.

Last edited:
FUD. Jalopnik is trying to rationalize the inferiority of the specs of the other vehicles.

Most anti-Tesla FUD is just mildly annoying to me, but the hate from Jalopnik and Ars Technica I really don’t understand. OK, Jalopnik is Gawker and they just like to stir up *sugar* so I guess I get that. Ars adores SpaceX, though.

Most anti-Tesla FUD is just mildly annoying to me, but the hate from Jalopnik and Ars Technica I really don’t understand. OK, Jalopnik is Gawker and they just like to stir up *sugar* so I guess I get that. Ars adores SpaceX, though.

There's some good coverage from fair people like David Tracy at Jalopnik. The problem is that there is at least one other on Jalopnik with a bigger voice that downright hates Elon and Tesla and has to go out of their way to FUD at every turn. Basically people who are afraid of how this EV future is going to change car culture.

No idea about Ars Technica. Eric Berger covers SpaceX pretty fairly and then you have these other guys covering Tesla and it's the polar opposite.

It's all a race to the bottom. Most of it is about getting clicks. The people with fairer coverage basically get drowned out since controversy sells.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: copyhacker