Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Antares Nebula - I like you - don't pull a neroden. No one subject is worth it.

As much as I think the "fruit" subject has received about 40 times as much attention here as it deserves, maybe Antares keeps nagging on this due to some recent trauma he's experienced. It looks to me like he might have sold a bunch of Tesla shares, hoping to buy them back for less, but the share price zoomed away on him and now he's kicking himself. Perhaps we should go easy on him and have a little compassion. Because this didn't get really bad until TSLA price shot up recently.

As much as I think the "fruit" subject has received about 40 times as much attention here as it deserves, maybe Antares keeps nagging on this due to some recent trauma he's experienced. It looks to me like he might have sold a bunch of Tesla shares, hoping to buy them back for less, but the share price zoomed away on him and now he's kicking himself. Perhaps we should go easy on him and have a little compassion. Because this didn't get really bad until TSLA price shot up recently.
No. He's just bringing up the possibility.

This to me demonstrates bias on your behalf. It's not just me, but I notice that you attack anybody who says anything critical about Tesla, making claims that they sold their stock or missed the run or that they're short. That really is immature and naive. You cannot understand how people can just be curious and interested in these things? Moreover, I like to be really critical of myself in all things, not just investing, to better understand and improve. You can look in the trading thread at my posts. I repeat now for the second time that I hold a large core position which I do not trade. You can also see in the trading thread that I have made money trading options and stock on the recent move up.

Also, if anybody doubts my loyalty or commitment to Tesla, just look at my very first post at TMC (below). I'm in fact an uberbull (aren't we all by virtue of being on TMC?), but like with all things in my life, I'm very critical and a stickler for details. If we cannot have critical discussion about Tesla at TMC, where can we have it? At Seeking Alpha, on Twitter?

Hi folks, I'm new here. I've been following in the shadows for a while, but never posted. But I actively post on Seeking Alpha in a (perhaps vain) effort to fight Tesla FUD. After the recent SEC news, I decided to finally become a member and contribute a "small" post. Nothing really original, but basically a summary of my understanding based on what I've read from others here and elsewhere. Also, I'm not a legal expert.

First:

In the Q4 Investor Letter and 10K, TOTAL deliveries were mentioned at 360-400k. In the CC, deliveries of M3 alone were estimated by Musk at 350-500k, depending on China and other factors (as analysts questioned him on the difference between his estimate and the Q4 letter). The midpoint of the CC M3 estimate is 425k. After adding in ~75k conservatively for S and X, you get 500k deliveries. So, there is some variability there as far as total deliveries go, anywhere from 360 to 600k.

Second:

In the first tweet in question, Musk was not talking about deliveries, but production ("make") and it was only an approx number ("around"):

"Tesla made 0 cars in 2011, but will **make around** 500k in 2019"

Production is often higher than deliveries, especially in 2019 with the more complex logistics of international deliveries (as Tesla previously pointed out). Even regardless of this assumption, if you put the first tweet together with the investor letter and CC call, you get:

*** In 2019, Tesla will make approx 500k total cars and deliver anywhere from 360 to 600k cars. So there is nothing inaccurate nor conflicting about the first tweet vs what was conveyed in the investor letter and conference call, as the SEC alleges. ***

Analysts and the public understand that there could certainly be a large variability (of say approx +-100k) in the production and delivery forecast for 2019, given all the many variables (China, tariffs, timeline of low-cost M3, etc.). In the investor letter and second (clarifying) tweet, Tesla/Musk was being more conservative, whereas in the CC call and first tweet they were being less conservative, more ambitious.

Furthermore, since (given the above) nothing new was conveyed in the first tweet, that tweet hence did not contain any material info -- it was all prior public knowledge. And so it did not require further pre-approval from Tesla legal counsel.

In summary, I think the SEC erred because they did not take into account what was said in the CC call, nor did they take into account the difference between "production" numbers vs "delivery" numbers.

Commuter nyc is the biggest dumdum there is, up there with Matthew Battle.:rolleyes: I am pretty sure Elon is following him for shits and giggles.

Here is a recent example where he called me "Tesla PR".:p

Commentator on Twitter

Edit: And @Paul917011736 is a parody account from one of our own :D
For a minute I thought commuterNYC is a type of account which discusses real NYC commuter issues. I was unnecessarily getting excited that Elon has his eyes on the problem people like me from NJ face when using the largest commuter train network in the US.

Imagine the fallout, once the first accident involving TWO Teslas occurs!

The headlines almost write themselves:
  • "Two cars collide, Tesla driver at fault"
  • "Tesla crashes on the rise on Road 54: one Tesla crashed northbound, another Tesla crashed southbound"
  • "Tesla crashes deeply concerning: today two Teslas crashed head on at 50 mph, two ambulances were sent, but there were no injuries - paramedics unemployment to rise?"
  • CNBC panel: "Can Tesla production keep up with the rate at which they are being wrecked, asks our panel of independent auto experts: Mark BS. Spiegel, Bob Lutz, Jim Chanos, David Einhorn and our surprise guest: United Auto Workers Vice President and former GM board member Joe Ashton, and his court assigned federal probation officer."

Last edited:
Also, if anybody doubts my loyalty or commitment to Tesla, just look at my very first post at TMC (below). I'm in fact an uberbull (aren't we all by virtue of being on TMC?), but like with all things in my life, I'm very critical and a stickler for details. If we cannot have critical discussion about Tesla at TMC, where can we have it? At Seeking Alpha, on Twitter?

You are admirably optimistic, if somewhat unrealistic.

Also, if anybody doubts my loyalty or commitment to Tesla, just look at my very first post at TMC (below)

Nobody cares about "loyalty" - this isn't a tribe or a cult - many prominent TMC members are buying and selling TSLA shares as they see fit - but please don't spam this forum with mostly pointless rehashes of the same topic again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again and again - please start your own thread for heaven's sake. :D

Last edited:
Elon appears to be on the block-list now. This implies to me that most of $TSLAQ are not shorts - would be beyond stupid to block a key source of information on a company you've "invested" into, no?

The stupidity of these people is beyond my imagination...

Here's the blocklist in case anyone's interested: Block Together

upload_2019-11-8_8-53-41.png

Elon responds to David Einhorn's investor letter on twitter:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"To the extent that you have any desire to learn about the amazing progress the people of Tesla are making, I would like to extend an open invitation to meet with me to discuss Tesla and tour our facilities. For their sake, I'm certain your investors would appreciate you getting smart on Tesla"

Wild prediction: Tesla unveils two trucks: the cybertruck and a regular looking pickup, both made on the same platform. Elon has eluded to the possibility of a more normal looking truck for people who don't like the cybertruck. This would be a severe shock to Ford and GM.

Has been my prediction for a long time too, the shorty burn would be immense.

Don't worry about this. Even I get downvoted to hell when I get bearish.

Wild prediction: Tesla unveils two trucks: the cybertruck and a regular looking pickup, both made on the same platform. Elon has eluded to the possibility of a more normal looking truck for people who don't like the cybertruck. This would be a severe shock to Ford and GM.

Elon is pretty stubborn though and loves the design of his Cybertruck: he was only open to a more boring truck form factor if the Cybertruck doesn't sell.

I'd estimate the chances for Elon to voluntarily and proactively increase manufacturing complexity so early in the truck design cycle at well below 10%.

I'd also rate the chances for Elon to do the Cybertruck against the objections of Franz, if Franz found the Cybertruck design ugly or impractical, at well below 10% as well.

Elon is super stubborn when he can prove that he is right, but also listens to expert advice - and there's no higher authority on design than Franz.

Franz's track record is picture perfect so far, everything he designed for Tesla in the past was drop dead gorgeous:

teslagrandbasel1.jpg

So I'm not worried about the looks of the Cybertruck - but I'm super curious. :D

Last edited:
Nobody cares about "loyalty" - this isn't a tribe or a cult - many prominent TMC members are buying and selling TSLA shares as they see fit - but please don't spam this forum with mostly pointless rehashes of the same topic again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again and again - please start your own thread. :D

Are you sure? Any talk of selling (or even suspicion thereof), and @StealthP3D is immediately on scene to issue a diatribe. And my comment was specifically in response to his latest diatribe accusing me of having sold my position.

My posts were about three different polls, made in response to feedback from TMC members. I was simply pointing out the new polls, not repeatedly posting about the same poll.

Last edited:
Elon appears to be on the block-list now. This implies to me that most of $TSLAQ are not shorts - would be beyond stupid to block a key source of information on a company you've "invested" into, no?

The stupidity of these people is beyond my imagination...

Here's the blocklist in case anyone's interested: Block Together

View attachment 474447

Careful with clicking on that - TSLAQ is known to use IP logging to harass and dox Tesla supporters. Is blocktogether.org run by a TSLAQ sympathisant?

It seems to me that many topics are taboo here. Don't talk about service. Don't talk about S,X refresh/redesign. Don't talk about Apple. Are we to only smile, pat each other on the back, and make fun of shorts all day? Again, I say, if we cannot have critical discussion about Tesla at TMC, where else are we to have it? Certainly not with all the trolls and FUD on Seeking Alpha and Twitter. We need to better distinguish between trolling and critical discussions.

Elon responds to David Einhorn's investor letter on twitter:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"To the extent that you have any desire to learn about the amazing progress the people of Tesla are making, I would like to extend an open invitation to meet with me to discuss Tesla and tour our facilities. For their sake, I'm certain your investors would appreciate you getting smart on Tesla"
This appears to be a new tactic in Elon's fight against disinformation. Engage them directly with humor and open arms. The charm offensive has begun.