Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My God that is an ugly ****ing truck. Let's be honest - its a triangle on wheels. Very little subtlety, those angular wheel recesses are disjointing. Good angular cars like the deLorean have some subtle curves to make them nicer. It is such a shame they bungled the form so much cause everything else is pretty amazing.

I know some people will like it, the people with bad taste. I didn't care about any of the other missteps like 420 or pedo or anything else, but for me this is their biggest misstep because it show a core weakness in design aesthetics and how designs are chosen. The Berlin design center cannot come soon enough. Elon should take a tour around some of the car museums in Germany like the Stuttgart Mercedes Museum. There is so much beauty in that museum, that most the modern Mercedes look ugly in comparison.

I think there might be too many yes men at Tesla if this is what they put out. It just seems like such a lazy design which they cobbled together - welding flat sheets of metal together. I'm actually annoyed about the whole thing. I doubt it will have any significant long term effect on the SP, but seriously, anyone who likes this truck should know they have zero taste and feel bad about themselves.

Elon said if people don't like it he will put out a more standard looking Truck so there is that...
I can understand you hate the looks. (I do too, see my earlier post)

But the rest of your post is just ignorant and in bad taste. Have you seen the Model S, the Model 3, the Roadster 2? Those were designed by the same people.

I don't know why you feel the need to attack people that do like the design, but it tells me enough about the value of your insights.

My God that is an ugly ****ing truck. Let's be honest - its a triangle on wheels. Very little subtlety, those angular wheel recesses are disjointing. Good angular cars like the deLorean have some subtle curves to make them nicer. It is such a shame they bungled the form so much cause everything else is pretty amazing.

I know some people will like it, the people with bad taste. I didn't care about any of the other missteps like 420 or pedo or anything else, but for me this is their biggest misstep because it show a core weakness in design aesthetics and how designs are chosen. The Berlin design center cannot come soon enough. Elon should take a tour around some of the car museums in Germany like the Stuttgart Mercedes Museum. There is so much beauty in that museum, that most the modern Mercedes look ugly in comparison.

I think there might be too many yes men at Tesla if this is what they put out. It just seems like such a lazy design which they cobbled together - welding flat sheets of metal together. I'm actually annoyed about the whole thing. I doubt it will have any significant long term effect on the SP, but seriously, anyone who likes this truck should know they have zero taste and feel bad about themselves.

Elon said if people don't like it he will put out a more standard looking Truck so there is that...

If you haven't read this already, please do so and then come back and let me know if your opinion is the same.

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend

The awesome stats, capabilities and price point aren't just "because it's Tesla". They're a result of the design decisions that led to this shape.

My initial reaction was somewhat similar to yours. But after reading about the engineering - and also seeing how many people the design is resonating with - I'm actually quite onboard with it. I think they can clean up the aesthetics somewhat before the final version - some more creases here and there to look more Batmobile than Bollinger, etc. But overall, I fully get the approach, and I think it's going to surprise you with how successful it actually is.

What we are witnessing here is Game, Set and Match for Tesla vs ICE.

I don't care how cringeworthy the presentation was, or how strange the design might come across for some. The elephant in the room is IMO the drastic reduction of costs and longer range at the same time. We have seen the disappointing specs (rangewise) of the Mach E, Taycant, e-Tron etc. Compare the numbers, it's just mind boggling. Let's just compare the cost per mile of range, the Cybertruck (USD/mi) will cost around 17% less as compared to the LongRange M3 !
Compare this to the so called competition and ist gets worse, much worse.
The much cheaper production cost combined with even longer range means that the Maxwell battery breakthrough is real.

From here on Teslas are not only far better cars than any other ICE or BEV's, they are also cheaper. Let this sink in...
With this technology it's just a question of time that we will (hopefully) see a Micro City Tesla , a Sprinter like Tesla Van, a Light Truck with a crane etc. etc.

That said, I couldn't care less about SP fluctuations from this point on. I have reached my max. % of investment in TSLA, and will just lean back and enjoy.

I will go now and try to find a remote piece of land with lots of trees, a little cabin to have an excuse to buy this amazing piece of industrial history of the 22nd century ; )

Thank you! Which would be 5.87 metres long and 145 cm wide bed. For us with metric brains.

The TCT builds a bit with the bed frame and then the wheel arches and finally the wheels outside the arches. So about 175 cm wide judging from the pictures of the truck bed. Or 69 inches.

Edit: Seems my estimate might be a bit off when my TMX is 78.7 inches or 199 cm wide...so more data needed.

Yeah, try adding TWO 30 cm wide tyres, and maybe a few extra cm for clearance and fender flares.

So 145 cm wide bed + 2 x 40 cm is approximately 225 cm or 25 cm wider than the TMX. Or 88.5 inches wide. Ish.

Too big for my parking spot. Need to buy a farm.

What we are witnessing here is Game, Set and Match for Tesla vs ICE.

I don't care how cringeworthy the presentation was, or how strange the design might come across for some. The elephant in the room is IMO the drastic reduction of costs and longer range at the same time. We have seen the disappointing specs (rangewise) of the Mach E, Taycant, e-Tron etc. Compare the numbers, it's just mind boggling. Let's just compare the cost per mile of range, the Cybertruck (USD/mi) will cost around 17% less as compared to the LongRange M3 !
Compare this to the so called competition and ist gets worse, much worse.
The much cheaper production cost combined with even longer range means that the Maxwell battery breakthrough is real.

From here on Teslas are not only far better cars than any other ICE or BEV's, they are also cheaper. Let this sink in...
With this technology it's just a question of time that we will (hopefully) see a Micro City Tesla , a Sprinter like Tesla Van, a Light Truck with a crane etc. etc.

That said, I couldn't care less about SP fluctuations from this point on. I have reached my max. % of investment in TSLA, and will just lean back and enjoy.

I will go now and try to find a remote piece of land with lots of trees, a little cabin to have an excuse to buy this amazing piece of industrial history of the 22nd century ; )

This is why I desperately want to see a toned down final product. If they can keep the engineering and battery gains while only slightly moderating what is a very polarizing design then I believe it really is game, set, and match. I feel they are sooo close here to hitting this out the park, but have gone a little too far.

It’s a truck. Ugly is part of the appeal.

I ordered immediately after seeing it for the first time this morning.

I for one don't like how the Cybertruck looks, but then I don't find ANY pickup truck pleasing to the eye, be it a 'classic' truck or a Hummer or a Bollinger.

I really liked the Rivian:

rivian-r1t-driving-forest-1024x701.jpg

But got wooed by this beauty:

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-View-with-Off-Road-Lights-and-Headlights-Illuminated.jpg

I know some people will like it, the people with bad taste.

giphy.webp

Like many people I had to get used to the cybertruck look at first, but honestly, it is better than I envisioned. Elon "warned" us that it would be different, and it is! Based on the demonstration, it appears tough, fast, cool and practical - all things you want in a truck.

Thank you to Elon for giving us something (not just a truck) that makes grown adults want to stay up to 11:00 PM EST waiting with excitement and anticipation. Love the intelligent, capitalistic risk-taking, exciting, bold, thoughtful products that makes adults feel like kids again and delivers in such a way that pierces right through the cynical, bah-humbug naysayers!

If you haven't read this already, please do so and then come back and let me know if your opinion is the same.

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Car Engineering Norms Upside-Down - Motor Trend

The awesome stats, capabilities and price point aren't just "because it's Tesla". They're a result of the design decisions that led to this shape.

My initial reaction was somewhat similar to yours. But after reading about the engineering - and also seeing how many people the design is resonating with - I'm actually quite onboard with it. I think they can clean up the aesthetics somewhat before the final version - some more creases here and there to look more Batmobile than Bollinger, etc. But overall, I fully get the approach, and I think it's going to surprise you with how successful it actually is.

I had a read. To me it is clear that it is easier and cheaper to manufacture with straight panels in stainless steel with no paint or stamping. But all of these engineering tradeoffs are at the expense of aesthetics. It's like he decided engineering and cost was more important than aesthetics on the vehicle. He designed it in the same way as the Starship - by letting the engineering dictate the final look of the product. So on function is comes out very well placed. On cost it's about the same as an F150. So even with the savings on paint and panel stamping, it's not a winner on cost. It's a winner on function, a loser on aesthetics and neutral on cost.

From here I hope they listen to some designers who can make the design significantly better with some softer shapes and curves, but I don't really care if they don't. This product is dead to me. As another investor said to me angrily - this is an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Strong meat there, Mr Peckinpah. How 'bout we don't make absolutist judgements about other individuals' character based on your personal dislike of it or how you seem to have tied your feelings about Elon's missteps( or maybe Elon in general) to this unveil? People can have different tastes than yours. The consensus so far seems to be this design isn't about aesthetics anyway.

To have Grimes perform for the opening of the Cybertruck reveal was a stroke of genius.

She really was the perfect expression of cyberpunk both visually and in speech, something that surely appealled to a lot of younger buyers - both men and women.

Franz and Elon's presence were essential, but unlike her they are clearly not stage performers - and did not impress me with their posture, whether it was supposed to be cyberpunk or tough guy.

So also for the sake of Tesla I hope Elon will stay on good terms with Grimes - so she can appear at more of his events (be it Tesla, SpaceX or something else).

Think about it, when the time comes for Tesla to reveal its disruptor of the econobox market her diminutive frame will make also that Tesla look spacious...

Oh, and for the Cybertruck itself, I think Elon was spot on that it would appeal to some, but not all...
Grimes.jpg