Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While funny I have to imagine that the design of the Cybertruck crumble zone must have been a real challenge.

I mean, the vehicle's is supported by its outer shell of 3mm steel that you can even dent with a sledge hammer, so driving that into something even heavier at high speed and surviving like one will in a Model S/3/X, cannot have been an easy task to solve.

So I expect the crash tests to gain a lot of attention.
I expect you meant to say "can't dent with a sledgehammer"...

But I get your point, kind of hard to make a crumple zone from steel used on rockets and an integral part of the chassis itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: lklundin
in the video, it sounded like the driver said he put it into low gear. Having multiple gears would definitely be a new thing

It should have 2 speeds for off roading as that much power in one high gear is way too much.

Nikola already makes 2 electric toys.. The RZR type and a watercraft..
Nikola Corp | Nikola Powersports

I noticed that too. What the heck was he talking about? A joke? Low gear would normally be used for high torque, low speed operation, not launching 0-60. I suspect it was a joke.

Assuming a mechanical hi/low transmission, low gear would launch to 60 mph *alot* more quickly than high gear (and more quickly than a single-speed version). It's not like a gas or diesel where you could only go 35 mph in low range.

I have no idea if the "low gear" mentioned is a physical transmission or a software "electronic transmission" but I suspect the latter. Tesla probably programmed the motor controller for more torque at the expense of efficiency. However, the way the passengers exclaimed when he hammered it makes me think it also might be a physical transmission (but I hope not for the sake of mechanical simplicity).

Feel more than usual that this is a great dip to buy. What exactly are we selling? A whiff on a product that might be launched three years from now? A failure for this truck will be Tesla selling more units than S and X together did three years ago. It will still make money.

Fourth quarter earnings coming. Model Y around the corner. Macros suddenly behaving despite everyone screaming recession, correction. Looking for a 700k run rate exiting 2020 before Berlin comes on line. Ridiculous. Did not even mention energy or battery advancements that Tesla basically said are in the bag based on Cybertruck specs.

Happy to buy this dip. But what do I know? How about you?
Feel the same. Dip was statistically probable after a reveal, magnified by shorts manipulators waiting for any perceived weakness and typical FUD after uninterrupted climb, with MM apparently trying to keep it pegged at $330-335 today (max pain?), while the market ignores the real breakthroughs as usual (underlying battery tech, manufacturing revolution and generation-defining design). I give it 2 weeks maybe, 4 weeks definitively to recover and continue its march forward (unless market crash). Next week will be low volume so more prone to manipulation and bear attacks, but it won’t last long. Literally TSLA black Friday sales on a stainless steel platter.

Last edited:
CDC189B0-43C0-4C44-8468-1CCA3A5C17A4.jpeg
Pewdiepie wants one. Im guessing a few of his 100 million youtube followers feel the same.

I won't be surprised at all, reservation numbers will leak out on reservations and we could be green today. I am sure at least we will next week.

Also, this truck due to its polarizing design will be pictured all over the world press. Lots of free Tesla advertising.

Been front page news on Yahoo.com since last night. The amount of views will be astronomical. Who knows how many hits Tesla.com has received.

The truck highlights one short coming of Tesla. They pretty much are a 1 size fits all line of vehicles. The S and X are high end luxury vehicles which aren't an option for most. Then the 3 and Y will be the mainstay of their product line. Want something a bit smaller and cheaper, sorry. Want something with more room but not megabucks, sorry. The truck is the same way. Other companies have a line up of trucks. Tesla has a truck. You want a long bed, sorry. You want 2 doors and a low price, sorry. You want something in the middle with jump seats, sorry.

BTW, most people will not like the extreme look of this truck... but Tesla doesn't sell to most people. That's who the other car companies sell to, most people.

Really, is this why Tesla Model 3 is outselling all the German car companies in the midsize market? Show me a company that has EVs for “all people”? Sorry, it doesn’t exist. Even the iPhone isn’t for all people.

The fact that they were able to replace those windows prior to giving test rides indicates to me that breaking or cracking the glass was foreseen as opposed to ruled out. Also, they did this stunt on the sides, they could likely not have cracked the actual front shield and replaced it before the test rides.
My thought is that they would not have cracked the front glass, but because the ball would have hit at an angle, some people would have called foul.

I placed an order last night for the Tri Motor with FSD. I got an error that there were too many requests. So I went through the process again. This time it went through. Now this morning, I have 2 emails with 2 different reservation numbers. I was going to cancel one, but then I was thinking I'd just keep it. Why not?

So I have reservation numbers:

RN112760200
RN112770727

Anyone know what the starting number was? Is there a thread tracking these?

I just ordered 112850xxx

edit: based on @AZRI11's post 50 minutes ago, they've just reserved 40K in 50 minutes....