Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are still taking delivery in California

But those are only a trickle of deliveries, without the tax credit (delivery date counts), so Tesla could already have dropped U.S. prices by up to $1,875 on January 2-3, without triggering returns of the large delivery batches that ended on December 31. But they didn't. (So far.)

Also, if return + reorder does happen, it improves Q1 results (it's a delivery that moves from Q4 to Q1), so if they were concerned about Q1 demand they'd do the price drop as early as possible and wouldn't mind any returns within the 7-day return policy window.

Last year they did a $2,000 price drop on January 2 already.

Last edited:
Taking the numbers posted above at face value - he wasn't off by 5%. He was off by over 100%.

The change from the last report was -1.2M. He said the change was +0.1M.

The important information are the absolute figures cited by @ggr, the fact that this rally was not significantly magnified by a short squeeze in that phase yet apparently, +0.1M or -1.2M change in short interest made no meaningful difference on a week that traded 43 million TSLA shares at price levels up to $435.

But those are only a trickle of deliveries, without the tax credit (delivery date counts), so Tesla could already have dropped U.S. prices by up to $1,875 on January 2-3, without triggering returns of the large delivery batches that ended on December 31. But they didn't. (So far.)

Also, if return + reorder does happen, it improves Q1 results (it's a delivery that moves from Q4 to Q1), so if they were concerned about Q1 demand they'd do the price drop as early as possible and wouldn't mind any returns within the 7-day return policy window.

Unlike last year, the $1875 tax credit is not a significant difference in the price of the car. Last year it went from $7500 to $3750. It stands to reason that no significant demand collapse has been observed, so why bother lowering the price? I know I wouldn't. If this is the case and we see the price hold steady, and the days of offering crazy end-of-quarter incentives really are over, then we have truly reached a steady state in demand and 2020 is going to be f***ing amazing guys!

There's only about 181 million shares floating right now? So more than half the entire float was turned over this week. That's what I call an actively traded stock...

No, the float is only 133.82m shares:

So this week with 99m shares traded was a volume of 74% of the float - a truly mind-boggling figure.

Tesla is comping people the tax credit who ordered before 12/8 and did not receive the car in time. In theory, they can already drop the price by $1Kish

My thoughts on Tesla’s prospects in China....

I have been seeing comments on Twitter about Tesla’s reception in China with GF3 opening. It’s quite remarkable and the reality on the ground is worlds away from the simplistic view that a lot of people have of the EV market in China, including business and auto analysts and investment professionals, and the 99% of people that drive ICE cars.

EVs in China have earned a bad reputation for low quality and low mileage. Over 600 companies sold glorified golf carts subsidized up to half of their purchase price! But Tesla is viewed very differently- and a lot of people think these cars are great but way too expensive. Why do they think that? Tesla doesn’t advertise. At least not in the heavy handed way we are used to with blasting ads for truck sales BELOW MSRP! ZERO DOWN! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!!

So there are misconceptions naturally and just like everywhere else I think interest and sales will grow organically. And it will be exponential as the more people that buy Teslas, the more that will be exposed first hand etc.

The tweet linked below is one such story from China. It’s interesting to read things like this. Much more informative than a table of auto sales ...

特拉风T☰SLA mania on Twitter

Right now US wait time: AWD 4~7 weeks; SR+ 7~10 weeks; P 8~11 weeks.
It seems the plan is first produce for OUS, then produce a large batch AWD, then produce SR+, then P.
The timing shows this quarter has good demand.

FYI I am in Northern California and my configurator shows 7-10 weeks for AWD and 8-11 weeks for both SR+ and P -- same as @ReflexFunds. Europe (including UK) and Australia show February delivery for all Model 3 versions. Seems positive overall.

Last edited:
Tesla uses 29% of the world's EV batteries | Hacker News

category: anecdata / weak signal

An unspoken consequence of this is the telsa battery module secondary market. I'm mildly interested in the off-grid community and used Tesla batteries are first to nothing.

For $800 you can get a Tesla battery module, 30v and about 5kwh. Nothing else even comes close for the money.

If you're willing to do the work yourself, you can take your entire home off grid at the cost of 2 used Tesla batteries and about 2k in solar panels + the charger. About 6k for total energy independence.

The RV/vanlife community is going nuts about these batteries. The energy/weight ratio is more than 3x higher than the closest competitor. You can replace about 500lbs of deep cycle lead acid with 100lb of used Tesla packs (2) for half the money and they have close to 10x the charge/discharge cycles. The math makes them more than 30x better than anything else when you consider cost vs lifetime. It's completely insane

The tricke-down effects of Tesla's unbelievably good battery technology are being felt far beyond the world of EV's

So they think they will deliver mostly to EU and ROW in the first 2 months.

I've to say if they manage to deliver > 100k cars in Q1, shorts will be absolutely squeezed.

We'll be able to tell how big the U.S. order book is by watching price changes, and by when the last ship arrives at a key international market (EU or CN).

This is what happened in 2019:
quarter
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
[TD2] last ship arrival at destination before end of quarter [/TD2] [TD2] last ship departure from SFO before end of quarter [/TD2] [TD2] 6 days [/TD2] [TD2] 21 days [/TD2] [TD2] 9 days [/TD2] [TD2] 26 days [/TD2] [TD2] 8 days [/TD2] [TD2] 25 days [/TD2] [TD2] 11 days [/TD2] [TD2] 32 days [/TD2]

(Note: I filtered out obvious outliers such as late ships.)

I.e. in Q4, in an otherwise record quarter, Tesla was able to dedicate about ~32 days of production to the U.S. market alone at 7k/week M3 production, in Q1 this was only ~21 days at 5k/week.

Note that the last EU ship arrived 11 days before the end of the quarter, a comfortable buffer ~twice the size of the delivery buffer at the end of Q1, despite Tesla having been able to sell all the cars they were able to deliver to the Netherlands.

The last two ships in Q1'2019 were sent on March 7 and 10. If Pier 8 empties out by end of February or early March then we can probably conclude that Q1 U.S. demand is fine - otherwise they'd try to keep sending as many cars to the U.K., Norway and South Korea as possible.

So Pier 8 emptying in ~40-50 days should be one of the early indicators of the health of Q1 deliveries and, assuming Q4 GAAP profits are $200m+, of S&P 500 inclusion probability. ;)

Did we get a rundown of the thread today?
The uneasiness of a Friday set in early as many wondered what kind of support would be shown and how many more may continue taking profits, but an analyst gave our favorite company a price target upgrade! (However it seems one upgrade did not cancel out two downgrades) but in between we were given an education in battery density amongst EV’s. However as the market opened we began seeing a Jack-o-lantern like mouth appearing on the charts as the buying was met with even more selling, many pointed out the low volume but things never got too high or low. Shorts seemed scared to manipulate at these levels. The concern wore off as we realized that much of the action today centered around option traders and their max pain, it seemed to just be another friday. After some jokes and acknowledging that we are at $475 a share much relief set in across the forum. We even began an engineering class for a couple pages (some brilliant minds in here) but class was canceled by a mod. And recently it seems we have learned that shorts are not disappearing despite their losses. The thread will quiver with excitement over the weekend as we ponder the long awaited run to 500!
Fill in the blanks for our time constrained friends!

Ha, we should start a new sticky thread with a single post daily-summary like this. Would make interesting reading at the end of the year, especially if combined with PapaFox's daily analysis.

Could have a volunteer to take a specific day each week, to ease the burden.

Last edited:
We need to keep in mind Q1 2019 was almost "the perfect storm", and it was mostly unexpected.

Bears are probably hoping Q1 2020 will be just as bad, even Bulls are not expecting a stellar quarter....

So far things seem to be tracking better, a lot has changed, prices have previously been adjusted, demand seems OK, GF3 is shipping cars, solar and storage are ramping.... Model S/X demand appears to be rebuilding. from a lower base than the Q1 2019 expectation...

So IMO the likelihood of a large unexpected surprise on the downside is very low.

We also know Tesla handed Q1 2019 OK in the end and recovered from it... (even though execution in the quarter itself was not ideal)....

We know Q1 is typically going to be the most challenging quarter,,,

But if Q1 2020 is a reasonable result, shorts are on the hook with no easy escape.. while it is big for us, it is bigger for them....

As much as I appreciate @luvb2b's work - and use it as one of multiple baselines when making my own estimates (tweaking various parameters, so I don't have to model every little detail on my own) - it's important to point out that for Q3 luvb2b predicted:

Auto revenue: $5,2B (actual: $6,0B)
GAAP auto margins: 19,9% (actual: 25,8%)
GAAP net income: -$238M (actual: $261M)
EPS: -$1,33 (actual: $1,91)

I remember calling that forecast (and others in that thread) way too pessimistic in several regards, and was considered to be unreasonably bullish at that time. ;) Lots of people around here were deleveraging based on that forecast, and partly missed out on a big jump. Of course, the actual results were more bullish than I was!

That said: a 2019 GAAP profit is just not going to happen. Or anything close to it. :)

Firstly, a correction, I misremembered the GAAP profit @luvb2b is estimating for Q4: it's +$295m.

Secondly, Q3 was arguably an outlier, it was profitable despite a 10% increase in production and an only 1.8% increase in deliveries and price reductions, because:
  • a significant improvement in efficiencies: my guess is that the primary driving factor was that Tesla re-negotiated the battery purchase contract and its pricing formula in particular with Panasonic, to better tie cell prices to the (dropping) world market prices of key raw materials,
  • this can be suspected from the fact how 'storage' margins improved from near zero to 20% in a single quarter,
  • excellent opex control - historical weak area of Tesla under Deepak as a CFO - Zachary seems much better at this,
  • there was a ~$100m GAAP income from foreign exchange shifts - it's real income but almost impossible to model due to how it shifts randomly between quarters.
None of which could be reliably modeled. If just two of those factors were included (storage margin improvement and FX effects), his model would have shown a small profit for Q3.

More importantly, these improvements from Q3 are now included in the Q4 model.

It also makes sense to take a broader look at the GAAP income track record of luvb2b's model:

quarter
Q2'2018
Q3'2018
Q4'2018
Q1'2019
Q2'2019
Q3'2019
Q4'2019
[TD2] GAAP income luvb2b est [/TD2] [TD2] Tesla reported [/TD2] [TD2] luvb2b "miss" [/TD2] [TD2] TMC source [/TD2] [TD2] -$740m [/TD2] [TD2] -$717m [/TD2] [TD2] -$23m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] +$260m [/TD2] [TD2] +$311m [/TD2] [TD2] -$51m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] +$308m [/TD2] [TD2] +$140m [/TD2] [TD2] +$168m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] -$611m [/TD2] [TD2] -$702m [/TD2] [TD2] +91m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] -$325m [/TD2] [TD2] -$408m [/TD2] [TD2] +83m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] -$238m [/TD2] [TD2] +$143m [/TD2] [TD2] -$381m [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2] [TD2] +$295m [/TD2] [TD2] ? [/TD2] [TD2] . [/TD2] [TD2] Near-future quarterly financial projections [/TD2]

As you can see there's no inherent bullish or bearish bias in the model, it's been missing in both directions. Also note that all 6 predictions of him got the direction of the quarter-to-quarter shift in GAAP income right, and only a single quarter (Q3'2019) got the sign wrong - and this was over an extremely challenging 1.5 years of Tesla's history, with a lot of strategic and operational shifts going on within the company.

More importantly, in quarters where opex and cost structure was mostly unchanged, luvb2b's model had very good accuracy. He was pretty much the only modeler who expected Q3'2018 to be profitable, and got within 16% of the final profit, which was amazing.

I expect Q4 to be a similar quarter to Q3 in terms of cost structure and opex control: Model 3 production was up 10% from Q3, total deliveries were up 15%. In Q4'2018 Model 3 production was up 15%, deliveries were up 9%.

In Q4'2018 @luvb2b's model overestimated GAAP profits by $83m, so I don't think there's much basis to suggest that his $295m estimate for Q4'2019 is overly bearish. If you click on the link above luvb2b also lists a few wildcards that could improve Q4 results, but again those are hard to model.

In any case I'd warn against too bullish expectations for Q4, in addition to the potential wildcards, there's various potential headwinds as well:
  • the FX gods could move against Tesla this time around,
  • Tesla could have more opex from China and from the accelerated Supercharger expansion,
  • they could also be recognizing some costs now instead of Q1 to help Q1's results,
  • or they could decide to not sell any ZEV credits or recognize FSD revenue in Q4 but save them all for Q1, etc.
  • they might write down any remaining 75D inventory with steep discounts.
The threshold number is $266m Q4 profits IMO, because that would make even marginal $1m profits in Q1 trigger S&P 500 inclusion eligibility.

Anyway, not advice. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
NO.jpg

upload_2020-1-11_1-44-9.png

On the manufacturers ranking, Tesla (23%) won its first manufacturers trophy in Norway(!), ahead of Volkswagen (14%), and BMW (10%), while outside the podium, we have Nissan (9%), and Hyundai (8%).

EV Sales: Norway December 2019

BTW VW Brand beat Tesla sales by 53 vehicles for the overall Norwegian 2019 sales crown. That includes ICEv for VW.

Buyers:View attachment 498818
Look at the top holders:
Elon Musk will not sell;
Baillie Gifford both managers think Tesla is likely to become one of the largest companies in the world;
Capital World Investors, their analyst expects this stock to hit $4k by 2030;
Vanguard is buy and hold type;
BlackRock chief strategist had an interview, he thinks the world is going through a major transition, Tesla is an important leader in this transition.

Sellers are short term traders. Buyers are in it for long term. So it's unlikely for these holders to sell when the stock goes up.
Line 12, Elon bought another 175,000 shares!

It's possible the car says "My battery went up by 34 kWh during this session" and the supercharger says "I dispensed 40 kWh during this session" and previously they charged you for the 34 but now they'll charge you for the 40... Just speculating, though.

Makes sense. In addition to running the car's heating while supercharging, there will always be conversion losses, e.g. heat produced by the chemical reactions in the cells - and if necessary, power spent by the car keeping the battery at its optimal temperature. Non-Tesla, high powered charging stations will typically display the amount of energy delivered during the session, the amount that the car registers as having gone into the battery can be 95% of that. During a 200kW charging session during summer I remember how the car's cooling fan started running at a very high setting, presumably to cancel out heat losses in the battery.

I hope Tesla's billing for supercharging continues to indicate the energy going towards the battery's SoC, since that can be used to estimate the consumption during road-tripping.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecolene0606
Line 12, Elon bought another 175,000 shares!

also note line 3, a company who massively increased their position. They are so famous there is a book about them (the man who solved the market iirc).
Renaissance Technologies - Wikipedia

Renaissance Technologies LLC is an American hedge fund firm based in East Setauket, New York,[5] on Long Island, which specializes in systematic trading using quantitative models derived from mathematical and statistical analyses. The firm is widely regarded as the "most secretive and successful" hedge fund of all time.[6] Their signature Medallion fund is famed for the best record in investing history, and was founded in 1982 by James Simons, an award-winning mathematician and former Cold War code breaker.