Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The author, Jim Collins has called Tesla a corporate failure. His proof was

"The proof, of course, is in the stock price. Tesla shares closed trading August 20, 2014 at $255.71. Tesla shares closed last night at $225.86. In contrast, the Nasdaq 100 closed at 4040.71 on August 20, 2014 and at 7664.47 yesterday. "

I guess his proof has proved otherwise.

www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2019/08/21/tesla-has-failed-massively-as-a-public-company

You know, I thought this was a legitimate article on Forbes - now I see the writer is a "contributor". Basically, it's about as worthless as Spiegel's dribble on SA.

New permits
upload_2020-1-13_21-2-11.png

Looks like South paint will be online soon

New permits
View attachment 499892

Yes, an important part of the reason why we have days like today is that there are 10,000 people in Fremont, and thousands more at GF3 and around the country, around the world, working every day for us, as Tesla investors, and many as Tesla drivers.

New permits
View attachment 499892

Wow, new paint line, Model Y CARB documented and possibly ready for delivery in February! Would love to see Fremont blow past 10,000 cars a week as Shanghai starts moving past 1000 a week. If Y prep has been going on, it could have impacted 3 production, regardless of Elon thinking they could ramp up without impacting existing production.

Reactions: Fact Checking
Wow, new paint line, Model Y CARB documented and possibly ready for delivery in February! Would love to see Fremont blow past 10,000 cars a week as Shanghai starts moving past 1000 a week. If Y prep has been going on, it could have impacted 3 production, regardless of Elon thinking they could ramp up without impacting existing production.
Sorry to burst the bubble but Y line was not ready when I did tour late December....

Is this supposed to mean there’s a medium chance I’ll lose the beat?

I do all that I can to advance renewable energy and sustainable transportation. I am a “true believer.”

Those things said, I do not underestimate our adversaries. They too, are true believers — backed by the financial resources of the fossil fuel industry.

They are wrong; they are criminally culpable. I am not a conspiracy theorist, nor is the fossil fuel industry. They fight passionately, openly, and aggressively.

It is time to fight back with the heart of a warrior. To speak with voice of a lion.

JB Leonard

I would think long and hard before using my capital gains to buy a Tesla....

Not advice

if I wasn’t saving for a Tesla, I’d not have any capital gains. The whole purpose of buying the stock is to buy a Tesla later.

Now, if it does well enough, I may not sell all of it. But even were I to keep them, I have so few that if the stock was 1k I’d still only be in the five digits, including my initial investment.

So, small apples. ;)

Would you share what you think will be driving this huge Q4 profit so we can get on the same page? I like Jack Rickard's take - profit will be good but forward guidance and other reveals is what will really drive the share price higher. Musk has buffed his credibility rating so any guidance he provides will be more powerful. I'm actually guessing he will be very subdued with it, continuing his "under-promise/over-deliver" theme. If there is anything powerful said, it will not be because he talked it up to the hilt, it will be because the nature of what he reveals really is powerful.

Here's the thing: a small improvement in margins that's sustainable is worth more to market participants in the long run than a large one-off profit beat based on one-time revenue recognition or a deal like the FCA deal. These things can have a positive influence on the share price but not to the degree that margin improvement can. It's all about showing they can make and sell cars with good and consistently increasing margins with expanding volumes.

China did not ramp production in Q4 sufficiently for margins to be meaningful and Musk is unlikely to say China margins will be higher (even if he knows they will be). I say this because he has previously said they will be roughly in-line with Freemont margins and there is no advantage to saying otherwise now (even if it's apparent to him). However, I'm thinking that could be a VERY important driver of the share price following Q1.

I'm under the impression profit will be VERY POOR on those 87,000 deliveries hint hint. No but, margins seem to be improving quarter over quarter and Q4 sold a lot of high trim models if I saw correctly. I'm expecting a large surprise over analyst estimates.

I also believe Elon was set to talk about the next 5 years during this report. I guess it wont be Masterplan part Trois we're 6 years early for that. But should be fun, how will it drive the stock with Elons newly earned credibility? I guess we shall see!
I can find sources if desired, might take a while though.

• Helpful
Reactions: The Accountant
Would you share what you think will be driving this huge Q4 profit so we can get on the same page? I like Jack Rickard's take - profit will be good but forward guidance and other reveals is what will really drive the share price higher. Musk has buffed his credibility rating so any guidance he provides will be more powerful. I'm actually guessing he will be very subdued with it, continuing his "under-promise/over-deliver" theme. If there is anything powerful said, it will not be because he talked it up to the hilt, it will be because the nature of what he reveals really is powerful.

Here's the thing: a small improvement in margins that's sustainable is worth more to market participants in the long run than a large one-off profit beat based on one-time revenue recognition or a deal like the FCA deal. These things can have a positive influence on the share price but not to the degree that margin improvement can. It's all about showing they can make and sell cars with good and consistently increasing margins with expanding volumes.

China did not ramp production in Q4 sufficiently for margins to be meaningful and Musk is unlikely to say China margins will be higher (even if he knows they will be). I say this because he has previously said they will be roughly in-line with Freemont margins and there is no advantage to saying otherwise now (even if it's apparent to him). However, I'm thinking that could be a VERY important driver of the share price following Q1.

worth a mention: Musk already said on Twitter that he will be discussing long range production estimates during the earnings call (2023/24 etc) Something to be prepared for in terms of stock price reaction.

Jeez. A PR disaster turns into a company product. Tesla is becoming Teflon.
Teslaquila is coming! Remember Elon said they are just finishing up on getting the glass right. I think we're going to see that "bulletproof" look. The bottle will sport that marque. Well, two marques. :D

This will guarantee a huge number of display only sales. So a limited edition of half a million bottles at $99/bottle. It will sell out in a few days at most. A quick $50M - COGS. Plus everybody talks about it.

nice video from dave about the fundamentals. Love that he focuses on the basics and ignores all the clickbait stuff.

A good reminder to me that "$500" is a distraction. Let the media and shorts work themselves up into a frenzy while I focus on what's actually going on at Tesla.

Dave mentioned the discontinuation of the standard range Model S/X in Q1 2019, on the same day I stumbled across this thread:-
New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

If Telsa is ever going to reintroduce the Standard range Model S/X, this seems like a suitable pack...

If you follow the narrative closely it isn't 100% clear, but one read is Tesla eventually wants to build Model S/X volumes back to 100K per year. So I would be be surprised to see SR, LR and Plaid versions available sometime this year.

In the spirit of "pride goeth before the fall" I'd like to suggest a little less strutting and preening here. Any idiot can make money when the stock he's bullish on goes up and up and up. We're all pleased, but we're not all suddenly geniuses.

If you're an actual trading genius, please tell me when we're about to see TSLA drop more than 10%. And no, it doesn't count if you tell me afterwards.