Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Peische gone, VW is lucky to have such a leader. Unlike the many arrogant VPs and heads out there in the industry still.

Meh. The last thing VW needs to do is "focus on its strengths," as he went on to say. Those will not help them in the new era.

The problem with all of these OEMs is that their core competencies do not include software or electronics. Gaining that competency isn't so simple. Maybe impossible.

The way I look at it is TSLA stock price was slowly headed to $500 today or tomorrow regardless if Adam Jonas issued his downgrade or not. His report and downgrade just sped up the time and the recovery process. Now we can consolidate at $500 and start our push to $600 sooner. I bought 2 more Feb 21 $500 calls at $40 this morning.

BTW, I have Jan 17 $350 call I bought after the Cybertruck dip that's expiring tomorrow. If I want to exercise the call, do I just do nothing? I never held any in-money call to expiration and always sold it off before. I want to exercise and keep the shares.

Exactly the problem with retail buyers.

How many get sucked into ARK's $6000 a share and think this is some sort of lottery ticket and don't realize this stock has a lot of volatility?
Ark has so much conviction , but somehow they sell.
Their investing parameters don’t make sense.
Buffett very rarely sells, and especially not when successful.

BTW, I have Jan 17 $350 call I bought after the Cybertruck dip that's expiring tomorrow. If I want to exercise the call, do I just do nothing? I never held any in-money call to expiration and always sold it off before. I want to exercise and keep the shares.

Never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to "do nothing" as I think that would just let it expire. How to Execute a Call Option

The way I look at it is TSLA stock price was slowly headed to $500 today or tomorrow regardless if Adam Jonas issued his downgrade or not. His report and downgrade just sped up the time and the recovery process. Now we can consolidate at $500 and start our push to $600 sooner. I bought 2 more Feb 21 $500 calls at $40 this morning.

Call your broker right now and ask. Not something you just want to assume will go your way.

There is no way that Jonas keeps his job based on the accuracy of his ratings right? Seems like his intent (and presumably MS's intent) is to make headlines and or manipulate the stock.

At least with Robinhood, if you have the cash available they will exercise it automatically at close. If not they will sell the option about 2 hours before close. There should be a Q&A area to reference and you definitely should do so. :)

Zach Shahan points to this 2010 article:

Volkswagen Plans to Sell 300,000 Electric Cars a Year by 2018

In 2010 VW was going to be the largest EV seller in 2018.

If your primary source of information was the mainstream media, one might think only Tesla didn't meet their own lofty goals. Articles are always qualifying statements from Tesla or Elon Musk with phrases like "who has a history of missing forecasts". When VW or Ford doesn't do what they say, the media just ignores it.

I agree and also figured the price was likely to head back toward $500 later this week, so I closed $500 strike put spreads expiring on Friday at a 92% profit before close yesterday. Didn't want to be a pig for that last measly 8% in case we had a big gap down.

As for exercising your call option, I would reach out to your broker. Each one may have its own protocols as to how they exercise or just sell the option on your behalf going into close.

Morgan Stanley Cuts Tesla To Underweight From Equalweight, Raises PT To $360 From $250 $TSLA

$TSLA
: MS DOWNGRADES BASED ON VALUATION, UNFAVORABLE RISK-REWARD, RISKS TO LONG-TERM CHINESE BUSINESS THAT MAY NOT BE FULLY APPRECIATED BY MARKET

There shouldn’t be any question at this point where Morgan Stanley and Adam Jonas stands; this has to be one of the most blatant act of price manipulation. Aside from market timing of this note (issuing it on the first sign of trading weakness), the PT makes no sense when so many others are bullish. AJ once hailed Tesla PT above $400 years ago when risks in this business was much much higher.. yet, he now has the audacity to put his PT lower than $400 when Tesla’s business is showing massive strength.

I disliked AJ based on his reputation long ago, but I’m now disgusted and repelled by this guy as though he’s an STD working to spread the virus for big pharma. I wonder how much his firm has been shorting TSLA lately; he did “miss” the last earnings CC when Tesla handily best and AH trading shot up $50 from $250–>300 (no congratulations or pat on the back for Tesla’s recent success...).

Why didn’t he “raise” his PT when the stock was in the $300s and blowing through technicals since October? You really have to question who this character is working for and his motive....

Last edited:
VW CEO says carmaker faces same fate as Nokia without urgent reforms

"In summary this is probably the most difficult challenge Volkswagen has ever faced,"

"Take Bentley for example, 10,000 deliveries," Diess said. "It would have been even more impressive if we had a margin higher than zero. If I'm totally honest, I would have preferred 5,000 deliveries and a margin of over 20%."

^^ ouch
With Peische gone, VW is lucky to have such a leader. Unlike the many arrogant VPs and heads out there in the industry still.
I agree that Herbert Diess is one of the very few who clearly know what they face. However, he is very realistic and know the odds are against him and them. The Nokia analogy is instructive, in my opinion, because they saw the future before there was a crisis, but they simply could not imagine how to successfully change.

Even so, if Diess can mange to get union and governmental shareholders to face the music they could actually survive and thrive. Those are two gigantic items.

If your primary source of information was the mainstream media, one might think only Tesla didn't meet their own lofty goals. Articles are always qualifying statements from Tesla or Elon Musk with phrases like "who has a history of missing forecasts". When VW or Ford doesn't do what they say, the media just ignores it.
Not just that. People keep talking about how Musk missed FSD timelines - but so did Google and virtually everyone else.

If this dip is due to the drop in California registrations it might be a good time to buy.

The thought is that demand has peaked but Fremont is maxed out right now. That implies to me that there’s plenty of demand but not enough cars.

I’m in Los Angeles and have three friends & coworkers who bought Model 3s in Q4. All of them took delivery in the last few days of the year in frantic delivery events and all of the cars came straight off the truck from Fremont. This tells me that Tesla doesn’t have a bunch of cars lying around waiting for demand to pick up in California.

Not advice and I’m not an investor.

Early Action Report:

Pre-market:
Shares trade b4 8:00 hrs
: 616,127
Total shares Pre-market: 1,509,937

Main Session: (beginning @ 09:30 hrs)
Shared traded in 2 minutes: 995,051
Shared traded in 5 minutes: 1,996,955
Shared traded in 30 minutes: 5,557,182
Shared traded in 60 minutes: 7,457,393
So this over-night bear raid has tapering volume, but no doubt the objective has been obtained, allowing big shortzes to cover at -10% of the SP from 2 days ago (over 2.5m shares traded by 09:32 hrs).

Now that bears have eaten their fill, have Market Makers hedged sufficiently, or will they attempt to further manipulate the SP for tomorrow's LEAPs expiries day?

Heavy TSLA Options volume so far clustered around the $500 strike price: 4,656 Put options (representing 465,600 shares) excercised at the $500 Strike over the 11 a.m. hr, according to Opricot: (2.284m shares traded during that hour)

11:08 EST
TSLA.Options Volume.2020-01-16.11-08.png

12:09 EST
TSLA.Options Volume.2020-01-16.12-09.png

So on we go. AJs gonna AJ... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to "do nothing" as I think that would just let it expire. How to Execute a Call Option

I asked a similar question about exercising options vs selling and buying stock. The answer was overwhelmingly that it is almost always better to sell the option and then buy the stock. If I find the link to the thread I will add it here later.