Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4F513BE2-490E-4B99-BCAC-78226B3C9278.png

I’m paying attention to third row Tesla retweets. Given they recently spent some hours with Elon, they should be in prime position to separate rumour from plan.

This one (above) is interesting.

here's the shortseller's response via CNBC after Tesla made their statement:

Sparks told CNBC on Monday, after Tesla issued its denial: “I am encouraged by Tesla’s commitment to continue cooperating with NHTSA, and I expect we will learn shortly why Tesla owners report unintended acceleration much more frequently than owners of other vehicles.”

Even that statement is not true, Tesla owners reported about three times less frequently. See Tesla Time News episode from today:

Lets hope Model Y ramp is not hindering S3X production here. Elon said there shouldn't be any hinderance but this rumor of yours make it seem like it's hindering all productions at Fremont.

You're forgetting that January and February are slow months for car sales. If the linked story/rumor is true, then Tesla is timing things perfectly, using excess line capacity for a new model (Y) that has huge backlog.

Case in point: When I was in my teens I broke my back in a dirt bike accident and had to wear a metal leg brace on my right foot. One night my Dad let me drive his prized Dodge A100 home from the shop and when we pulled into the backyard, I went to hit the brake with my left foot and accidentally landed on the brace, pushing down on the accelerator and hitting our beautiful 1966 Dodge Monaco square on the rear bumper at about 10 to 12 MPH! God bless his heart, Dad was more concerned with how I was than the vehicles, but that incident is the definition of "sudden unintended acceleration" and probably quite similar to most of the Tesla situations.

FYI, didn't hurt the Monaco one bit, covered the damage on the A100 (which I still own BTW) with a new bumper, and I'm still thinking of suing the manufacturer of the brace because they obviously should have foreseen something like this... /s
I took a trip across the country in a Dodge A100, but I was a child. I loved that van. We lived i. It for two months.

• Love
Reactions: wipster
Everyone who ignores high volume after-hours or early-trading price changes is a fool. TSLA genuinely dropped to $504 on Friday, as some news reports (also initial inquiry by @tinm) suggested that there's an active NHTSA investigation, which turned out to be false: there's an investigation of whether to investigate.

Except it WASN'T high volume compared to the earlier part of Friday's After-hrs session. As I explained in my post on Friday evening, volume actually fell to about half the 'per-minute' trading rate after 18:45 on the erroneous 'investigation confirmed' message: (I have the 'per-minute' trades in an Excel worksheet if you want it)

"Don't worry about it. Volume in their 'short' spree was HALF what it was before 18:45 hrs. ROFLMAO. Nobody cares. VWAP b4 18:45 hrs $510.63 18:45 and $505 afterward. What a waste of money."​

Lol, Shortzes don't need the right STANKIN' investigatation. Poor shortzes stayin' after work on a Holiday Friday and readin' this forum blew $561K after 18:45 hrs shorting TSLA into the close of the After-hrs session (notice no change in the macros? QQQ)

View attachment 501642

Don't worry about it. Volume in their 'short' spree was HALF what it was before 18:45 hrs. ROFLMAO. Nobody cares. VWAP b4 18:45 hrs $510.63 18:45 and $505 afterward. What a waste of money. :p

They're jus' tryin' to piss you off and ruin you long weekend. Don't let 'em. They're nothings, pissants*. Water buoys while the bozz is off at a fancy NYC restauant. Sad losers, ho! :D

Cheers!

*Advice for Shortzes: When you're in a hole, first rule is 'stop digging'. The other rules, well you're gonna learn the hard way... :rolleyes:

This is a classic nothing burger, which is why this joke fake-news was laughed off so quickly in Frankfurt today. I'll reinterate my advice from Friday: Shortzes are jus' tryin' to upset you and get you to make dumb sales b4 a stellar earnings report. Don't give in to their B.S.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You're forgetting that January and February are slow months for car sales. If the linked story/rumor is true, then Tesla is timing things perfectly, using excess line capacity for a new model (Y) that has huge backlog.

Not sure about that. Seems like backlog is increasing for Tesla's demand based on delivery dates UNLESS they are producing less for Y expansion. Netherland explosion imo starved the rest of the world including the U.S and now Tesla is just catching up with those orders. Just think how during the busiest quarter of the year, 1/4th of all Model 3 deliveries went to a small region in Europe alone! Now with Ionity's new pricing structure, I can see how Europe's other EV sales just completely tanking in favoring of Teslas.

Troy's recent estimate is looking to be no different than Q4 deliveries but my money is on breaking Q4 records from the looks of it.

Last edited:
So, is there anyone here who thinks the stock will go down tomorrow ?
Anyone ?

Me. I had a little dry powder and put a buy order in. The stock will then dip $10-15 before recovering in the afternoon approximately $1 over what I got my shares for.

Sure, I could wait for that dip, but then it wouldn't occur and I'd be left watching the price climb away from my limit order and the subsequent dip that you can all now take advantage of.

You're welcome.

(Certainly not an advice, and /S)

Unfortunately yes, mostly due to the current futures, and let’s not forget Shorty is expecting all of us to go in strong so they may try to make a statement right off the bat. I’m hoping for this - BTFD
Tsla loves negative macro. I have seen Tsla rise more when macro is negative than positive. Remember the China trade war of 2H 2018? Every stock tanked for months except for Tesla.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: wipster and AZRI11
My guess as to why the Tesla denial took 3 days to be issued.

The petition is 70 pages in length and discusses in some detail a significant number of the ~180 reported incidents.

If I was Tesla I would pull all the relevant data together. Confirm that none of the data is inconclusive. Determine which ones we had already discussed with the NHTSA.

If I were to issue a strong denial I would want to be able to defend the denial.

Even if I already had this all put together ahead of time I would still review it once more.

In my opinion, rushing out a denial would look like I wasn't taking it serious.
In case anybody is supremely bored, you can read the LOLs about people with demon-possessed Teslas crashing though cinder blocks walls (always when parking, curiously?! And often new owners?!) and the caped crusader lawyer who “painstakingly” copied and pasted data from the NHTSA website and social media (typos and all! It’s amazing how many folks can afford $70k+ cars and can’t even bother to spell “brakes” correctly...)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-DP20001-6030.PDF

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INBC-DP20001-6047.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INBC-DP20001-3494.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INBC-DP20001-2542.pdf

A Little-Known Tactic Can Make the U.S. Investigate Your Car-Safety Problem

NHTSA must review and consider (this is what is currently happening with Tesla) every vehicle defect petition by law. The media will widely report every petition that involves Tesla. Short sellers now know this. I wonder how many people will die from actual vehicle defects while a short-staffed NHTSA is tied up evaluating the coming onslaught of petitions from Tesla short sellers?

The front page of the CNN Business website...

Tesla says claim of 'unintended acceleration' in cars is false - CNN

End summary...

"In other words, the car accelerates if, and only if, the driver told it to do so," the company said in its blog post, "and it slows or stops when the driver applies the brake."
NHTSA's office, which investigates such complaints, said Friday that it is looking into the allegations. It has not yet said if it is going to initiate a formal defect investigation.