Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Robyn Denholm was under appreciated. She is after all literally the Chair.

Yes, that is my best guess. Perhaps she will be appointed as COO? There was a rumor when she was first appointed that it was as a trial and that if successful she would take on a role similar to Gwynne Shotwell at SpaceX.

Yes, that is my best guess. Perhaps she will be appointed as COO? There was a rumor when she was first appointed that it was as a trial and that if successful she would take on a role similar to Gwynne Shotwell at SpaceX.

If this were the case, do you think the market would like that?

I personally would (that arrangement has worked great at SpaceX, and it'd take some flak off both Musk and Tesla), but I wonder if it would be spun as "Musk stepping back from Tesla". Messaging would have to be carefully managed, I'd think. I can imagine that a lot of analysts would like it, though.

Why is everyone thinking Tesla will report only 250m profit? They sold almost 20k more cars than Q3, more S/X and raised prices. Will be over $500m profit

Elon even tweeted that the shares are underappreciated.
Elon Musk on Twitter
+ prioritized premium and long range Model 3 to profit from supply shortage. + sold software performance update + radical reduction of costs + Musk wants to make a statement today, namely Tesla is no longer just the best money for the buck BEV producer, but best money for any car, and the exponential improvement will continue on battery cost, manufacturing automation, and of course major udpates on FSD. It will be way over $500m profit and the guidance will knock our socks off. (And now back to sleep to dream on.)

@KarenRei State prices for TSLA options expiring 2020-01-31:

View attachment 505183

This particular system I solved with a generalized inverse, which can cause some weirdness. My other script that does traditional inversions will probably take another hour to finish. But here again you can see our options chain short and long theses emerging. Short peak is at 273.5 and long peak is at 650.

Not advice, just maths.

If I understand this chart right it is implying most of the short value people are paying for is for a stock price move of about -50% in less than 5 trading days. Aren’t these state price distributions usually much more centered around current price?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Jerome is already in a position essentially equivalent to COO and he's doing a great job. No need to change things now I think.
I do think Robyn has likely been doing important work behind the scenes in her Chairman role, potentially with investor communication that could have contributed to new investors getting on board and the recent rally.
I would however like Robyn to also focus on improved customer and media communication. I think she's well placed to lead these efforts.

Chairs of stonk?

So, translation of Elon's "chairs are underappreciated" tweet to /r/wallstreetbets speak:

WSB user #1: "Papa Musk just warned us to deleverage our Tesla position from YOLO call options to TSLA shares, because a big drop is incoming after the Q4 ER. Protect them tendies, fellow degenerates."

WSB user #2: "NBD, I deleveraged yesterday already, like a good autist, from $1,000 strikes to $800, but I won't be buying shares like a Boomer. $800 strikes can't possibly go t**s up."​

Erm, not advice. Really. :mad:

Last edited:
So, translation of Elon's "chairs are underappreciated" tweet to /r/wallstreetbets speak:

WSB user #1: "Papa Musk just warned us to deleverage our Tesla position from YOLO call options to TSLA shares, because a big drop is incoming after the Q4 ER. Protect them tendies."

WSB user #2: "NBD, I deleveraged yesterday already, from $1,000 strikes to $800. I won't be buying shares like a Boomer. $800 strikes can't possibly go t**s up."​

Erm, not advice. Really. :mad:

Jesus H. Christ, Wall Street Bets is insane...

Jesus H. Christ, Wall Street Bets is insane...

Shorts are going insane about Q4 earnings too:

007 on Twitter

"my broker just told me this morning that one of his clients bought $1.2 million worth $300 SHORT TERM PUTS on $tsla and apparently that is all the money the guy has"​

If Tesla drops big he'll make out like a bandit, but even if Q4 profits are a disappointment short term $300 puts will still have an insane IV crush ...

The Q4 ER pressure is increasing...

If this were the case, do you think the market would like that?

I personally would (that arrangement has worked great at SpaceX, and it'd take some flak off both Musk and Tesla), but I wonder if it would be spun as "Musk stepping back from Tesla". Messaging would have to be carefully managed, I'd think. I can imagine that a lot of analysts would like it, though.
Agreed, her CV is the perfect match of ops and finance at companies that cover automotive, software, networking and cybersecurity.

It's like she's been training all her life to be Tesla's COO.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Shorts are going insane about Q4 earnings too:

007 on Twitter

"my broker just told me this morning that one of his clients bought $1.2 million worth $300 SHORT TERM PUTS on $tsla and apparently that is all the money the guy has"​

If Tesla drops big he'll make out like a bandit, but even if Q4 profits are a disappointment short term $300 puts will still have an insane IV crush ...

The Q4 ER pressure is increasing...

So I did a bit of digging, and only February 21 and March 20 expires have large enough open interest at $300 puts.

The IV crush on those is going to be insane, so he needs a big drop of TSLA or all his money is gone right after earnings ...

Edit:

I mean, the Feb/21 $300 put contracts are trading for $0.68 right now, which is an Implied Volatility of 113% ... this is going to crash back down to 45%-50% right after earnings, so even his break-even point is very low:

upload_2020-1-29_13-3-34.png

The break-even point after IV crush is around $365 (!), but theta decay will start pushing this down by $5 every day until the option expires ...

Last edited:
Ooh earnings day. I never sleep well on earnings day, just like xmas eve. “Has he been? Has he been?”

Corona: Forget the media, that’s just noise. What is clear is that there is a stark difference in opinion in the severity of this virus between the Chinese government and most of the West’s governments, evidenced by their policy responses.

Could it be, that as @FrankSG reports, it’s NOT that dangerous. But the officials in Wuhan dropped the ball through mismanagement, leading to Chinese social media exploding with videos of bodies in the corridors, wards shut due to lack of fit and well doctors and patients cramming up the system?

Which would mean the CCP in Beijing has had to portray the virus as a Big Bad to save face, even though it’s not?

Pure, idle (hopeful) speculation. But I’m trying to understand why in comparison to China, most other governments are behaving with borderline complacency. And why (touch wood) there has been only a single death outside of Wuhan (Beijing).

Reactions: Fact Checking