Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless I'm missing it, Toyota has no EVs. A search comes up with Hybrids and Fuel Cell. Unless Toyota can turn on a dime or has some deep secret EVs ready to go that no one seems to know about, they are toast. And I mean the burnt to a cinder kind.
Semper Tesla™

They are doing EVs. Eventually. Where required. Mostly, they say "EV" for hybrids and fuel cells[1]

I couldn't find the reference I remembered that talked about the BEV for China (and eventually Europe) but this[2] seems to be about the same vehicle. Toyota C-HR BEV also known as the Toyota IZOA BEV.

1) Toyota to Introduce 10 New Electrified Vehicles in China by 2020 | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

2) Toyota Goes Electric Starting In 2020: Announces Massive EV Offensive

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
Just want to thank everyone for their incredible insight and sharing of knowledge here over the years. I went from complete noob to trading amounts of money I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. Here's to all of the excellent contributors @DaveT @Papafox @luvb2b @KarenRei @Fact Checking @AudubonB @kengchang @anthonyj
@JRP3

And many more from back in the day that no longer post!

Thanks for everything.

Last edited:
Legacy automakers are Kodak and EVs are digital cameras.
Have you used a digital camera lately? That market's been collapsing for 10 years. Try getting a photo from a digital camera to facebook or instagram, or navigating the menus on a Canon, Nikon, or Sony. The Japanese camera makers have completely ignored the modern world of photo sharing and how to make a product user friendly with software. Want to get a photo off your camera, pull out the memory card, plug it into a computer, edit and resize it manually then put it on the internet. Sure the cameras mostly have wifi and bluetooth now, but trying to get a connection to any network is impossible because of the poor software.

More like the legacy automakers are to the disconnected digital camera industry as Tesla is to a fully connected smartphone that can take and instantly share photos. How is Toyota at making software work?

FYI: Fidelity just increased their margin requirement on TSLA short puts due to 'increased volatility'.

I woke up this morning to find a margin call on my account of over $100K on my deep out of the money put positions (and a stock price that zoomed up a couple hundred dollars in the last two days) and went 'what the...?'

After calling them I found out that 'due to increased volatility', we have increased margin requirements on short TSLA puts from 25% to 82%!
Short put margin at Fidelity is calculated: $ requirement = 0.82 * 100 * stock price - out of the money amount + current premium * 100.

I fixed it by closing out a couple of positions (making a tidy profit) and sending in some extra cash. It's kind of crazy though because the puts were so deep out of the money (590 strike and below). So just be aware that brokerages can change requirements anytime they want at their whim, sometimes very significantly.

Shorts right now, instead of questioning their thesis they are:

1. Sharing likely fake news around coronavirus deaths
2. Tripling down on the idea that Tesla is a giant fwaud (because fraudulent CEOs would keep riding instead of cashing out right?)
3. Whining that Boeing trading was halted because it dropped too fast but Tesla trading isn't halted.
4. General b*tching and moaning about monetary policy and exuberance

1. They charge $300 for a map upgrade.
2. From TX to NE, they route you through TN and KY.
I liked my Highlander quite a bit, but the infotainment/navigation was awful. Toyota is really good at building cars. They aren't good at software.

this is on Schwab's page re: protection of accounts (Fidelity and others may be similar):

"In addition to SIPC, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. customers receive an extra level of coverage. Schwab maintains “excess SIPC” insurance protection for securities and cash up to an aggregate claim amount of $600 million".
I am with Schwab and interested but ignorant. Can someone provide context -- is $600 million enough ? Am I right in thinking that this amount is meant to satisfy Schwab creditors in the event of Schwab BK ?

P.S. I would prefer someone to give a nod to my sentence structure, but...o tempora and all that.

Always a comma before a but (except for this sentence) :D

Cross thyself, bubba, 'cuz not only did I see that at the ungodly hour of 0-dark-00 BUT deemed it pendantic so I left it there to entrap the heretical. Prepare to meet Thy Doom.

~~Vetinari~~

• Funny
Reactions: 2virgule5
Preparing for 30-bagger.

upload_2020-2-4_9-51-54.gif

Have you used a digital camera lately? That market's been collapsing for 10 years. Try getting a photo from a digital camera to facebook or instagram, or navigating the menus on a Canon, Nikon, or Sony. The Japanese camera makers have completely ignored the modern world of photo sharing and how to make a product user friendly with software. Want to get a photo off your camera, pull out the memory card, plug it into a computer, edit and resize it manually then put it on the internet. Sure the cameras mostly have wifi and bluetooth now, but trying to get a connection to any network is impossible because of the poor software.

More like the legacy automakers are to the disconnected digital camera industry as Tesla is to a fully connected smartphone that can take and instantly share photos. How is Toyota at making software work?

OT

Check out Fujifilm cameras. They're continuously updating their firmware. I bought an X-T3 about a month ago and have already updated the software twice. Most of the improvements have been around autofocus speed/accuracy.

Last Friday I bought February $800 calls, wanted to test the theory that every Monday the stock tend to rally. Wow. So you guys have been making big bucks without letting me know?:D

Only bought small amount, but big percentage gain. I converted the gain to permanent shares. I think these few shares will turn into Roadsters down the road.
You had better put down a reservation for it now. At this rate Roadster demand will be equal to M3 demand because of all the TSLA millionaires that are being created. I'm only half joking.

Have sold 10% of my stake today (bought @ $34) to hedge against macro or other catastrophe, first net sale since 2013 (edit: 2014, it turns out). Would not have done this if I was financially independent and hence could afford to be invested un-hedged with a small fortune in the outcome I believe most likely. But unfortunately I am still obliged to work for my food and shelter, so it's prudent to take some off the table at this point. I have made a tentative long-term plan that is extremely bullish while still acknowledging that I'm still a middle-class pleb underneath all the risk-taking.

(If I had a wealth manager, they would still throw a hissy fit of the portion of my portfolio that is in Tesla).

Thanks to all contributors of this forum over the years for insightful commentary and analysis. I hope to read more from you in the future, and, fingers crossed, being a relatively ghosty optimist with the odd biennial contribution.

Last edited:
I said something like that a bunch of pages ago. Those just now saying that Tesla is a promising player are not insightful. They're just seeing which way the wind is blowing and jumping in front of it with an opinion. Those who said the same thing when TSLA SP was $150 are the insightful ones.

I've noticed similar trends on Utube. When shares were ~200 (last year), there was hardly anyone to talk about it from proper perspective. Maybe 2-3 guys worth watching.
Now, when we tens of millenials telling how cool the stock is and providing "advice" about investing.

• Funny
Reactions: Rockster