Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relax folks, I have insured that the price will skyrocket in the next few days. Began a transfer of funds to my trading account to get a few more shares. Stock immediately jumped $50 and the funds won't become available for trading until Wednesday of next week. Price will be $1000 by then...guaranteed. ;)

You're Welcome

Dan
Same here. I just decided to sell a small pile of gold I had 'in case of emergencies' to load up in the dip, but that money won't hit my bank until Monday probably.

Which means there will be another big drop sometime after Tuesday no doubt.

Everyone? Are you saying someone who sold at $950 wasn't able to time the market?

Statistically, they will fail more often than they succeed. A random investor is not as "well armed" in this battle as funds with bots.

We need to relax on this "buy now, buy tomorrow, buy @ $1200" nonsense. We get it, you like Tesla.

That's literally the opposite of what I said. I said if you're not buy and hold, you should buy on the way down / sell on the way up - not the opposite. Which is just basic math.

Example. Let's say the stock is $700, goes to $900, and you practice each strategy at $50 increments, starting after it first makes a move (because you're not a bot / MM, you're not going to know the instant it's going to move significantly in one direction, or how far it's going to go).

Buy on the way up / sell on the way down:
  • $750: Buy X shares ($750*X)
  • $800: Buy X shares ($800*X)
  • $850: Buy X shares ($850*X)
  • $900: Buy X shares ($900*X)
  • $850: Sell X shares ($850*X)
  • $800: Sell X shares ($800*X)
  • $750: Sell X shares ($750*X)
  • $700: Sell X shares ($700*X)
Net result: X*(-750-800-850-900+850+800+750+700) = You lose $300 * X, where X is the number of shares you bought/sold at each increment

Now we invert it: sell on the way up / buy on the way down:
  • $750: Sell X shares ($750*X)
  • $800: Sell X shares ($800*X)
  • $850: Sell X shares ($850*X)
  • $900: Sell X shares ($900*X)
  • $850: Buy X shares ($850*X)
  • $800: Buy X shares ($800*X)
  • $750: Buy X shares ($750*X)
  • $700: Buy X shares ($700*X)
Net result: X*(750+800+850+900-850-800-750-700) = You gain $300 * X, where X is the number of shares you bought/sold at each increment.

Don't be dumb and bet against basic arithmetic...

wouldn’t it also depend on whether you hold the shares long enough? America does FIFO with shares, so if you bought Small increments of shares at a time, and last Jan you bought # and then sold that # of shares at 950, only to re-buy now, you’d have to pay that flat tax associated regardless if the profit was small or large.

I heard what's special about the american tax system is that you can actually designate which share you are selling or buying instead of FIFO. Anyway, I am not american so not sure if this is correct.

As for the tax issue. When it comes to investment, it is a big issue.
But when it comes to trading, forget about taxes. I remember it was mentioned in Jesse livenmore's reminiscence of a stock operator as well. When you are trading thought of tax will slow down and interrupt your flow. It is important to get into the flow of a particular stock as you observe its movement and technicals. Once you are in tune, you can trade much better.

A lot of us has investment and then trade a small part but do not really separate the mindset for the two part. I split my investment shares and trading shares in two different brokerage in order to have a physical split in thinking.

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker
Everyone? Are you saying someone who sold at $950 wasn't able to time the market?

We need to relax on this "buy now, buy tomorrow, buy @ $1200" nonsense. We get it, you like Tesla.
If they already have bought back at $720, I'd admit they have good timing. If they are holding out for something below $700, the jury is still out.

How about those who tried to time the market and sold out at 350? Also, for those who sold at the top at 950, tell us how many times it has been that LUCKY?
and the $400s and the $500s.

We were told it would be greedy not to sell around $315. Eventually someone telling us to sell will get lucky with a swing trade, but there were many more people who were just plain wrong.

800 is a wall

Attachments

• 824C358A-81CA-487C-87D1-3215F0C1199E.png
    824C358A-81CA-487C-87D1-3215F0C1199E.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 89