Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On paper, Elon has broken into the top 10 of wealthiest people in the world.

And, as he eventually ascends to #1, I wonder how this affects perception of wealth attainment among people globally? Many would call him apart of the traditional "club" but it seems more like he's disrupting the club, as he is doing in multiple industries. His complete dedication to his companies/employees/investors and holding nearly 100% of wealth in stock *he will never sell* as well as consistent noble mission from day one of helping humanity through accelerating sustainable consumption and production of energy, he is unlike anyone in that top 10 today or of yesteryear.

He may as well redefine this too, what it means to obtain the highest prize in individual capitalism (to be wealthiest person on earth) and this is a revolution/disruption unto itself outside the general disruptions created by his companies.

His example to current and future generations is to have a complete dedication to a noble mission to prevent global calamity and ensure future self generating sustainable prosperity. From the meatheads to the delicate introverts. That achieving to highest level of wealth has to be done to improve the globe and think globally of the impact of your ideas on sustainability. The example of having a high personal ethical constitution in pursuing that. Getting serious about these big ideas, being committed to fundamental physics/science of anything you attempt to tackle and build up from there. Communicating pure intention (master plan) to others to build an adaptive, dedicated team, to execute on these pure intentions with this growing team, not succumbing to outside forces attempting to bend that trust built with this team. Chewing that glass while walking into the abyss. Accepting the fact legacy forces will attack you. Believing, the hurricane-like force of integrity around the noble master plan (which disrupts the stagnant, lacking noble integrity economic forces) goes beyond the team and *becomes apart of the broader community.* Over time, people not involved in the team, just average people, will give general support and root for your success, which is not normal for a for-profit company directly because they are taking on these stagnant forces, to improve all our long term human condition directly or indirectly. Profit to them means furthering the cause, not aggrandizing the riches of a few at the expense of the rest, but changing of how we view economic activity for all people globally. It actually turns into a human spirit connecting activity.

As eventually becoming the wealthiest man the planet has ever seen, Elon's example may have dramatic affects on how we see ourselves as a people. For those that say show me the money, they will not look to Gordon Gecko, but to how Elon does it. For those that show me humanity, they will look to Elon for democratizing energy by giving all of us the ability to affordably produce cheap kwhs and use those kwhs to "fuel" or cars and devices to improve our lives at the most fundamental economic levels. It *is* a rebalancing of wealth into the hands of the many from the hands of the few, by putting sustainable energy production and consumption into the hands of the many instead of just the few and its globally applicable. It empowers the individual, while strengthening the human community fabric.

Regardless of how any of use feel about wealth, money, and the current system, Elon at the top of the capitalist power list will fundamentally be better for us all than any of the alternatives in this real politik cut throat world.

Last edited:
This even applies to older people. When was the last time somebody in your office got a new BMW and there was more than a "oh, new car? what did you get? Oh cool, well TTYL." conversation? With Teslas there is always a ton of questions, discussion, etc.

I had an older guy come up to me in my Model 3 in a post office parking lot and knock on my window. Cautiously rolled down the window not sure what to expect. Asked how I like my car and said he was a teacher and thinking he would be getting one as his next car. It’s one of the things that impresses me about the brand, people from all ages and walks of life are interested in driving and owning one. Saw this when the Model 3 first went on display. As we’ve seen its true regardless of country. Oh and BTW never had anyone come up to me in any other car asking a question like that. Was kind of amazed he took the time to walk over and knock on a stranger’s window.

Last edited:
So I would like some of your insights on today, guys and gals. :)

Now obviously the uptick rule is active today, which prevents shorty from doing their usual shorty things. So let's not worry too much about today's unusual lack of volatility and instead look forward.

What is likely to happen tomorrow and in the coming weeks? I suspect we have just seen a "blow-off top" and there is a possibility of a retracement to some lower support level.

There may or may not be a "dead cat bounce" before it which serves as a bear trap, then it will retrace downward and become a bull trap.

Of course this is just one possibility but I feel like the stock really did run too high too fast. We may reach $1,000 a share by 2021 but we're likely to pass through $500 in the way there.

Do you guys agree with this assessment and how do you guys plan on playing it tomorrow and in the coming weeks?

This is no reply to the last post.

The more i look, the more i feel it's copying the 2013 may run.

And IF it does, we are at that cross today:

chart 2013 compared to 20200206.JPG

But even if not, "buy and HODL" seems like the best, easy, painless plan for the upcoming years.

Disclaimer: After 4 years of owning a Tesla my wife starts to trust the future of this company and she really had trust issues. So yes, this run up did change the public perception. Besides some call-play-money for me, we are in to hold all shares and add more into 2025 at minimum.

Don't trade on my advice. Do your own research.

Last edited:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, not really. (There has been very minimal short covering from what S3 has reported.)
OTOH, there has been steady net short covering since August. S3 publishes numbers, but sadly they don't always track reality. And @ihors3 has previously claimed shorts were covering when the real data later showed that they were doubling down.

14.79MM shares net cover over the last 9 reporting periods, or about 3.3MM each month. There is definitely net short covering going on. Ignore S3 made up numbers. All you really have is the ever-stale figures from NASDAQ

Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Short Interest

I guess the problem is that a lot of people really actual believe that the electric car business is doomed. Not the future...

Tesla need to prove results over time, that’s the only way. Unless they do that the short will look only more tempting as long as the stock price keep climbing.

That is one IPO I would stay away from. Overhead costs to maintain that constellation will be huge. There is also a lot of competition already planned, which will keep costs down. I think it makes sense to have SpaceX owning/running it given their incredibly cheap launch costs, but a stand alone company might not always get such a good deal.

since it's a worthwhile discussion I started a new thread here: Starlink IPO

MOD:
Thank you. All 'found' prior posts moved to there.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is no reply to the last post.

The more i look, the more i feel it's copying the 2013 may run.

And IF it does, we are at that cross today:

View attachment 508596

But even if not, "buy and HODL" seems like the best, easy, painless plan for the upcoming years.

Disclaimer: After 4 years of owning a Tesla my wife starts to trust the future of this company and she really had trust issues. So yes, this run up did change the public perception. Besides some call-play-money for me, we are in to hold all shares and add more into 2025 at minimum.

Don't trade on my advice. Do your own research.
Before my time but what triggered the 13 run?

Over 100%.

Short interest by shares is down significantly, SP is up over 100%, with the net effect that short interest by $ has roughly doubled (fluctuates daily given massive volatility) This assumes Ihor's numbers are at least somewhere in the ballpark

Here's the real data. If you want to overlay it with @ihors3 you can either do it yourself or look up one of my older posts. If you source from him, keep in mind that he retroactively corrects for reality which makes his charts look more accurate than they really are. This is from the real NASDAQ data.
Tesla_SI_Jan15.jpg