Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a fan of spreading rumors but just received pretty detailed information that has been confirmed from 3 sources Herbert Diess CEO VW Group to leave VW and Blume (CEO Porsche) to take over the seat.

I also heard who takes the CEO role at Porsche and what the reasons are but lets wait if thats just a false rumor or true. To be honest it would be the first time my source tells me something thats not confirmed later.
Alex on Twitter

If true, it almost sounds like a coup. I've always gotten the impression that Diess was almost single-handedly trying to drag an unwilling company kicking and screaming into the future.

Wonder if he's taking the blame for the ID.3 software debacle.

If he actually is being let go, I would SO love to see Tesla hire him to manage Tesla's European operations, and in particular, GF4 ;)

I am not a fan of spreading rumors but just received pretty detailed information that has been confirmed from 3 sources Herbert Diess CEO VW Group to leave VW and Blume (CEO Porsche) to take over the seat.

I also heard who takes the CEO role at Porsche and what the reasons are but lets wait if thats just a false rumor or true. To be honest it would be the first time my source tells me something thats not confirmed later.
Alex on Twitter
I would be really shocked if VW is really going to oust their forward-thinking CEO who is all-in on the EV transition.

Actually, now that I put it that way, maybe not that shocked.

The Germans are head firmly in the sand at this point and many of them are going to miss the new EU fleet emissions regulations and get penalized billions of dollars. This also goes for FCA, imagine if they miss even with Tesla's fleet pooling agreement. The only European major who might actually be on track for EU is Renault-Nissan because of the Zoe/Leaf.

I agree about where the SP it’s at now, just feel uncomfortable about the neck snapping lift offs and drops

If you don't like volatility then TSLA is not the stock for you!

Cause this baby is going to whiplash you to death on its way to at least $2000 before it settles down as a mature (but still growing and innovating) company.

Model 3 has the highest resale value. :) Also, the Tesla App looks better the more cars you have in it. Hard to go wrong.

Honestly, that aspect did cross my mind ;)

The other possibility is to do wait for Cybertruck - assuming I have the cash at that point in time (looking great right now!) - and then add that to have it for a high-clearance vehicle.

It's annoying for me - nothing to do with "coolness" - as this was the one feature I really wanted but couldn't get :( My car was surely made weeks ago and is surely en route to Iceland right now.

(I don't care about ride quality. I do, however, very much care about clearance)

I see a Cybertruck in your future!

Australia just joined the club of nations with a set date to ban fossil fuel powered vehicles. 2035 in this case, just like the UK.
Edit, I think I read a headline that suggested it was a done deal. TBD.

Phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles - Wikipedia

Country Ban announced Ban commences Scope Selectivity
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 2017 no date set[8] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png
Costa Rica 2019 2050[9][10] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark 2019 2030[11] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 2017 2040[12] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png
Iceland 2018 2030[13] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
Ireland 2018 2030[14] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png
Israel 2018 2030[15] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands 2017 2030[16] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway 2017 2025[17] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
Slovenia 2017 2030[18] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Sri_Lanka.svg.png
Sri Lanka 2017 2040[19] Gasoline or diesel All vehicles
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden 2018 2030[20] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 2017 2035 – England, Wales, Northern Ireland[21][22]
2032 – Scotland[23] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sa

Plus numerous cities. 2020 seems like a good year for many more to join the club. I also expect that as Tesla and other brands make EVs even more compelling, some of these bans might come sooner than planned. (though I suppose the opposite is also possible)

If true, it almost sounds like a coup. I've always gotten the impression that Diess was almost single-handedly trying to drag an unwilling company kicking and screaming into the future.

If he actually is being let go, I would SO love to see Tesla hire him to manage Tesla's European operations, and in particular, GF4 ;)
It does seem like he and Elon are buddies, but it's hard to imagine a CEO of that big of a company taking a VP level positon.

Last edited:
Looking at it scientifically, you get the opposite result (as @KarenRei had already posted): Tesla Model 3 Performance vs RWD consumption - Real Driving Data from 233 Cars

Tesla_3_LR-Tesla_P3D-Tesla_S100D_efficiency_metric.png.78cb018e350cb4396263d576a005abb2.png

This was confusing at first because Model S had a better efficiency with the dual motor version, but in Model 3 the rear motor is the more efficient permanent magnet version and for dual motor you add an induction motor in front.

As I said, our LR RWD Model 3 is obviously more efficient than our Performance. But I think the distance narrows at high speeds. I'm not convinced the very end of that graph is an accurate representation of what the P3D with Aero wheels experiences at higher speeds. The graph only goes up to 87 mph and appears to depict a car without the Aero wheels. That would make a HUGE difference at high speed. The area I noticed the P3D with Aero wheels seems to surprise me with efficiency relative to our RWD is in high-speed driving (90-120 mph and even faster).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: wipster and hobbes
Yet remember: also a goodly portion (about half; depends) also goes right to the long who holds that underlying borrowed stock.

Not always. If the brokerage is using your TSLA shares as collateral for your margin account I don't believe that they pass any of that fee on to you.

While my brokerage "begged" me to sign up for their FPL program, which I finally did, it wasn't because they wanted to borrow my TSLA shares, they haven't touched them.

Reactions: UncaNed
It's annoying for me - nothing to do with "coolness" - as this was the one feature I really wanted but couldn't get :( My car was surely made weeks ago and is surely en route to Iceland right now.

(I don't care about ride quality. I do, however, very much care about clearance)

Welcome to Tesla ownership!
:D

I don't recall seeing it posted, but apparently Assemblyman Ryan was very happy with his tour of the Buffalo factory. (is it technically Giga Buffalo?) He mentioned the Solar glass roof, tesla solar charging station (perhaps solar powered SC system?) and a second on board battery for vehicles. (whatever that means)

Ryan: Pleasantly Surprised by Tesla Progress

Australia just joined the club of nations with a set date to ban fossil fuel powered vehicles. 2035 in this case, just like the UK.
Australia urged to copy UK ban on new fossil fuel cars by 2035 | The Driven

Phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles - Wikipedia

Country Ban announced Ban commences Scope Selectivity
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China 2017 no date set[8] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png
Costa Rica 2019 2050[9][10] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
Denmark 2019 2030[11] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France 2017 2040[12] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png
Iceland 2018 2030[13] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
Ireland 2018 2030[14] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png
Israel 2018 2030[15] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands 2017 2030[16] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway 2017 2025[17] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
Slovenia 2017 2030[18] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_Sri_Lanka.svg.png
Sri Lanka 2017 2040[19] Gasoline or diesel All vehicles
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden 2018 2030[20] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sales
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom 2017 2035 – England, Wales, Northern Ireland[21][22]
2032 – Scotland[23] Gasoline or diesel New vehicle sa

Plus numerous cities. 2020 seems like a good year for many more to join the club. I also expect that as Tesla and other brands make EVs even more compelling, some of these bans might come sooner than planned. (though I suppose the opposite is also possible)

It does seem like he and Elon are buddies, but it's hard to imagine a CEO of that big of a company taking a VP level positon.
If I'm reading that right, it sounds like Australia hasn't yet set a date to ban fossil fuel powered vehicles though.....just that they are being encouraged to do so.....is that right?

A coup it definitely is. If Diess is to be the "fall guy' replacing him with Oliver Blum accomplishes nothing. Both are VAG 'lifers' and have shared responsibilities along the way enough that neither has the ability to change corporate practice because neither has known anything else.

It does seem like he and Elon are buddies, but it's hard to imagine a CEO of that big of a company taking a VP level position.

There are other possibilities, of course. He could take on the Gwynne Shotwell President/COO role (assuming Jerome isn’t doing that or doesn’t want it). Shoot, Elon keeps repeating to anybody who’ll listen that he never wanted to be CEO. Elon could be chief product officer and resume his role as chairman. Not saying I think it’s gonna happen.

Reactions: Nocturnal