Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who saw the “article” from Freldeltrek about the “secret gigantic building hiding in plain sight” yesterday, Carsonight (who claims to have family working at GF1) says otherwise:
Carsonight on Twitter

I don’t have enough direct info to claim one side or the other, but it certainly didn’t make much sense since (supposedly) the Reno area already has a very shallow labor pool.

Where is everyone? Waiting to cross into green pastures?

Disappointed that the early morning drop didn't get low enough to trigger an call buyback so I could get a free roll-up. :Þ But, such is life. :) I'm stuck in a middle-ground between exploiting volatility to roll up sold calls for free, and needing to roll up my call spreads / partially profit take because the stock is hitting new highs. Leaves me with little to do.

But, call spreads are designed to maximize the benefit out of a sort of gentle long-term upward drift, so this sort of price action is all good :)

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
For those who saw the “article” from Freldeltrek about the “secret gigantic building hiding in plain sight” yesterday, Carsonight (who claims to have family working at GF1) says otherwise:
Carsonight on Twitter

I don’t have enough direct info to claim one side or the other, but it certainly didn’t make much sense since (supposedly) the Reno area already has a very shallow labor pool.

Labour is not the issue for me; people will move to work for Tesla if they start hiring and build housing. For me is... that building is a warehouse. Looks like a warehouse. Is called a warehouse on the document. No visible pollution controls for a paint shop. No heavy foundations for a press line. I can't see how that'd be a factory.

Could be a warehouse rented or owned by Tesla, and even one intended to support Semi production. But as far as I can tell, it's just a warehouse. Not a factory.

Well stated. I did the same, luckily only with about 10% of my portfolio but it could have been more.

I think it's worth appreciating how rare a truly great stock is. I think the GTAT hype around here grew from a relative "boring" period after Tesla jumped from the 30's to 200's in 2013. Many of us wanted that excitement of a breakout stock again but didn't want to wait patiently on another story where we actually had a collective information edge over the market. So we manufactured hype around GTAT, claiming it was the next TSLA, but in hindsight there were absolutely no similarities between the two and GTAT had about as much proven tech as Faraday Future.

In the end it was a good lesson for me. And in the grand scheme of things it turned out to be pretty cheap.

Thank you for this post! After doing so well personally on this stock, I already find myself on the prowl for the next Tesla-style investment, even though Tesla stock is not at all in a "boring" period yet. I need to remember how rare this opportunity is/was, and to not try to fit other stocks into this paradigm unless they truly fit.

Heck, it's possible I won't recognize another $TSLA in my life. But either way, I very much hope the lesson you learned is one I can glean without having to experience it first-hand.

Where is everyone? Waiting to cross into green pastures?

You know, this ISN'T supposed to be a chat group, as the mods occasionally remind us. If you have something useful to say, say it, but this isn't the place for chit chattering along.

BTW, for those who are advocating 100% investment in Tesla, and no diversification ... as I pointed out in a recent post, Tesla isn't even in my top three current best gains. It takes a while to find other good growth stocks, like maybe you can find one every six months, but it is worthwhile to scout those out. As far as Tesla goes, Elon could have a heart attack. Unlikely, but I've been burned in the past with "can't lose" investments. The problem with unlikely and unexpected events is that no one expects them...

Labour is not the issue for me; people will move to work for Tesla if they start hiring and build housing. For me is... that building is a warehouse. Looks like a warehouse. Is called a warehouse on the document. No visible pollution controls for a paint shop. No heavy foundations for a press line. I can't see how that'd be a factory.

Could be a warehouse rented or owned by Tesla, and even one intended to support Semi production. But as far as I can tell, it's just a warehouse. Not a factory.

I agree. Where are the "factory" workers supposed to park? Take a look at the huge parking lot for a real factory like the Gigafactory and then look at this building which has spaces for tractor trailers and that's about it.

As others have already pointed out, what about humans? Pranksters have altered and moved signs before and it will fool a certain fraction of the population, and a certain other fraction will use it as an excuse to do the wrong thing.

giphy.gif

Not necessarily. If you have money in a traditional, non-Roth, IRA then you could end up paying tax on most of the conversion. (Essentially double taxed.) For example $6,000 after-tax contribution to your traditional IRA that has a balance of $60k that than you then back-door to a Roth you would pay tax on $5,400 of that conversion.

This is true, but not the backdoor tactic. the “backdoor” conversion is about putting the money in and converting it before you have any gains. One person can open multiple traditional IRA accounts so you can have an empty one for the backdoor conversion that has no gains. Only makes sense with income over the Roth contribution threshold which incidentally also means income is too high to deduct traditional IRA contributions so it’s post tax money in the IRA and no more tax is paid on conversion.

CyberSemi? :p

/s

Reactions: Artful Dodger
For my own education purposes. I am interested in knowing if anyone on this forum physically met the member?

Another is, is it true that he solicited ppl to invest?

Cause those are redflags for me. Someone not physically verified to be real and u solicited investment in a stock.

I usually guard what I invest in like a secret and only really divulge the stock if it already succeeded.
It is an interesting question because from historical price data you can see the price tanked the day they contacted their bankruptcy lawyer so there were obviously a good number of people that knew the bankruptcy was happening and would have wanted to pump the stock to retail investors so they could dump it. That being said he shared a ton of personal details and I easily figured out what Austin neighborhood he lived in. (I was also living in Austin at the time in a nearby neighborhood.)

Here's the real progress in all this SP action: The Upper-BB moved from $944.11 at the Open yesterday to $965.36 at today's Open.

That's an increase of $21.25 in a single day (2.25%). BB's are one way the Market determines the trading range for a particular equity, and as we saw on Feb 4 often reacts with furious shorting when the SP gets too far outside these bounds.

Right now, we are a comfortable $60 below the Upper-BB, so no 'candy' dangling out for dem Shortzes.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-02-20.10-45.png

MMs / MaxPain: guess we'll see huh? Just 4.2.M shares traded in the 1st hour today, so relatively low volume which often makes the SP easier to manipulate. But then Options expiry is tomorrow, not today. Who knows, maybe the German Courts will get the 'pine cone' out of their Shortzes... :p

Cheers!

Question for the raging bulls with a hold 'em till the wheels fall off strategy.
Would you or do you ever put your shares at risk with selling covered calls? The recent gouging on buying calls has me thinking about selling short term, low probability calls. The way I understand them, at worst, I am forced to sell my 100 shares at the strike price and keep the fee. At best, I still keep the fee and my shares.
The example I'll use here is 3/20/20, $1,200 strike pays $1,600. Would it really be so bad if I sold 100 shares at $1,200 a month from now knowing what I do today.

Just got back from dropping my 3 off to the shiny new service center here in KC, conveniently located off the highway and very close to all the BMW, Audi, and Mercedes dealerships. That's convenient because when they fold Tesla will be able to pick up some cheap real estate. FSD 3.0 computer being installed. Inventory of Model S cars seem to be reasonable but they have very few 3s. He said they hope to get some Ys in "soon". They don't know when battery day is either. Currently roughing it in a non P model S loaner. ;)

FWIW my local SC has been amazing. Now, time to figure out how I can make some cash on options at this price level.