Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike the the majority of people here, I only bought in July last year. So, I didn't have to go through 420 funding secure and production hell. I didn't have to go through 5 years of range bound SP. Although my gain is only 350%, I got it in a pretty short time. Needless to say I am constantly called lucky. Was it lucky? I'd never know. I'd never what I'd have done if I knew about TSLA in 2013. I'd never know if I'd have held through $178. What I know is days like this are when I earn my stripes. Please bring it on so next time someone calls me lucky I'll say STFU you don't know me. Pardon my French.

The market is in a panic mostly about Coronavirus and a few other things too. It
Ironically, China might be the best equipped country in the world to contain the virus. The government can do whatever it wants, has money (they built hospitals literally overnight) and the population is compliant. If this thing hits the US and we get told to stay at home, we'll all ignore it, 'cos y'know, liberty and *sugar*.

The reason this thing has grown as big as it has is in the first place is because of the CCP not wanting to admit anything was wrong for too long...

Not sure about US, but here in Italy we are in full-swing paranoia.
The most productive (PIL-wise) regions are shutting down public services (schools, museums, etc.), asking people to stay at home, wash your hand several times per day, avoid public meetings etc.
I live in one of those regions and people are starting to buy everything in supermarkets, they are scared. Austria allegedly blocked an Italian train yeasteday night with 300 people in it.

Now, there have been just 7 casualties from the virus, all elder people with prior health conditions.
And, unknown to most, in Italy everything sucks besides food, fashion and the *health system*. Institutions are actually working but media are scavengers and talk about the virus 24/7. Headline on newspapers would make the Black Plague blush.
I personally am fairly calm, but I understand that fear is here to say for a few weeks, so markets are gonna plunge.
BTW, the silver lining is that CO2 emissions are gonna plunge too, so not all is bad ;-)
I'm surprised that it exploded so fast there.

This past month I stocked up on long term shelf stable food and water. I'm not preparing for an apocalypse, but just in case I'd rather not wait in line with sick people to get food from the government.

This past month I stocked up on long term shelf stable food and water. I'm not preparing for an apocalypse, but just in case I'd rather not wait in line with sick people to get food from the government.
Yeah the government sucks at dealing with masses of unfortunates. Trust me, recently did 8 nights in county on some trumped up charges. If worst comes to worst I'm heading for the mountains. I'd just prefer that I have my Cybertruck first...

There are mixed opinions.
One of them is that Italy is doing a lot of tests, so finding a lot of positives. Other countries may be have a similar amount of cases, but not looking for it.
This actually means that the virus has been in Europe for weeks already, but most people did not even notice it.
It's scary but probably the best hypothesis.

ARK - today: Ridehailing, Robots, Crypto & Sequencing

Excerpt:

On its recent earnings call, Tesla reiterated that it plans to launch a ride hailing service with drivers as early as this year, before solving for full autonomy. If so, it will learn how to operate a ridehailing network and will collect much more data to train its Autopilot system in preparation for the launch of its fully autonomous taxi network. As it competes with Uber and Lyft, Tesla also will generate recurring cash flow from a new revenue line item on its income statement, mitigating the need to go back to the capital markets as it scales manufacturing capacity globally.

Last edited:
It's almost as if shutting down significant parts of China, and now doing the same to South Korea, and soon Italy, and Germany and Japan either in recession or near it is somehow, somehow dragging this down. Can't be that an over built and over extended US economy is not built on solid fundamentals of true growth and value. Colored me shocked, shocked I tell you that a correction was not impending.

This whole thing has been teetering on a unsustainable edge, looks like it might finally be coming home to roost (this is a take on the whole economy, don't really care about the Tesla stock, but it's going to suffer).

There are mixed opinions.
One of them is that Italy is doing a lot of tests, so finding a lot of positives. Other countries may be have a similar amount of cases, but not looking for it.
This actually means that the virus has been in Europe for weeks already, but most people did not even notice it.
It's scary but probably the best hypothesis.

Except it’s not scary. No one panics when their neighbour has the flu. This is a crazy over reaction by the media and people are buying into it instead of being rational....

This morning I tipped the dealer.

Thanks again for a fun run boys and girls :)

Attachments

• 0D9DA143-56CF-445C-A022-3FD93845E7A1.jpeg
    0D9DA143-56CF-445C-A022-3FD93845E7A1.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 92
Except it’s not scary. No one panics when their neighbour has the flu. This is a crazy over reaction by the media and people are buying into it instead of being rational....

You are asking italians to be rational?! Who's irrational now!!?! /s

Joking, of course, and I agree with you.
But, at this moment, fear has settled in, so I'm not even discussing it anymore.
I stay at home, work, read a book and play with my son.
It's kinda good, actually ;-)

Not trying to scare anyone off. TSLA as a long term is great buy here. TSLA has always been a great long term buy. Not advocating you sell if you have it. Quite the opposite. My long term positions have not changed at all in the past six months, not about to touch them now. All I have done is added for years anyway.

BUT, last I checked there is a lot of short term trading going on in this forum. Options. Sometimes weekly options expiring in days. To them I issue words of caution. Myself included.

Mindless ever present positivity isn't exactly the best way to go. Didn't work out to well in the past for a lot of people here. People who are trying to trade anyway....

You long term never sell buyers, well, why are you even reading this?

There are some crazy apocalypse-lovers popping their heads out of the bunker today.

At Houston Intercontinental. No masks, no hazmats, no zombie-hunting squads, no pile of bodies.

Not sure about US, but here in Italy we are in full-swing paranoia.
The most productive (PIL-wise) regions are shutting down public services (schools, museums, etc.), asking people to stay at home, wash your hand several times per day, avoid public meetings etc.

Good to hear. A certain level of fear is good to get people to break their habits and practice proper disease control measures - even if the risk to any random individual is exceedingly low. It's why I have no concerns about Italy, South Korea, or Japan; people's fears of getting the disease will help stop the few who have it from spreading it.

Iran, on the other hand, is currently in denial mode, and trying to suppress information about how bad it's gotten there. :Þ But, increasingly having the country's borders closed (already, Turkey and Pakistan) and air traffic cut off (several airlines already) should force them out of this mode soon enough. I doubt we'll see another Wuhan in terms of severity, but it's annoying to see regardless. Particularly because it has some weak borders with impoverished countries in places.

ARK - today: Ridehailing, Robots, Crypto & Sequencing

Excerpt:

On its recent earnings call, Tesla reiterated that it plans to launch a ride hailing service with drivers as early as this year, before solving for full autonomy. If so, it will learn how to operate a ridehailing network and will collect much more data to train its Autopilot system in preparation for the launch of its fully autonomous taxi network. As it competes with Uber and Lyft, Tesla also will generate recurring cash flow from a new revenue line item on its income statement, mitigating the need to go back to the capital markets as it scales manufacturing capacity globally.

That would also be a sales/marketing force on wheels. And not only would it be cost-free marketing, it would be directly earning money. Beautiful.

It's one thing to see a Tesla zipping by. Another to talk with the owner and sit in the car.

Not trying to scare anyone off. TSLA as a long term is great buy here. TSLA has always been a great long term buy. Not advocating you sell if you have it. Quite the opposite. My long term positions have not changed at all in the past six months, not about to touch them now. All I have done is added for years anyway.

BUT, last I checked there is a lot of short term trading going on in this forum. Options. Sometimes weekly options expiring in days. To them I issue words of caution. Myself included.

Mindless ever present positivity isn't exactly the best way to go. Didn't work out to well in the past for a lot of people here. People who are trying to trade anyway....

You long term never sell buyers, well, why are you even reading this?
Optimism is not mindless. Panicking is easy. Staying optimistic takes willpower. Lots of it.