Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A pic is worth a thousand words. :)

A pic of a VIN? That might not be as fascinating of a picture as you're thinking ;)

Have you boarded the ship already? I was wondering how close it'd have to come to the port for that to happen.

No, but I was out there taking pictures of it and staring at it through binoculars as it arrived (I've been carrying around binoculars in my purse ;) ).

The Icelandic language is fascinating.

Hahaha ;) Hey now, what's wrong with the Icelandic language? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to look up some virus data alþjóðaheilbrigðismálastofnunarinnar (of the World Health Organization) to avoid any grundvallarmisskilningar (fundamental misunderstandings) like have been propagated by some öldungadeildarþingmönnum bandaríkjanna (US senators) ;)

---

BTW, in terms of actually-interesting pictures... anyone good at interpreting low-ISO pictures?

85096468_2946253575413802_673225403409629184_o.jpg

87484027_2946253665413793_8221660280447303680_o.jpg

Without realizing it at the time, I think I accidentally captured a picture of bundles of license plates for the new cars. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how many? There's supposedly more than 300 cars and less than 500 in the shipment, but it's vague info.

Last edited:
This forum and the market in general has completely missed the point on covid-19 for weeks. The mods have not helped by forcing by far the most important short term (and potentially medium term) macroeconomic driver into a sub forum.

Unless you get off on doomsday predictions, from an economic perspective it is largely irrelevant how dangerous covid-19 is relative to other outbreaks. I can sit here and agree with you that I am more likely to slip and die in my own home than from this virus.

What is far more important is how economic actors have responded to the risk. And in affected areas, you only have to look at the response from: governments, employers large and small, airlines and individual consumers.

Life in big chunks of Asia has for most people changed beyond recognition in the last month, and there is very little economic activity taking place. It’s just been made too damn hard.

Governments have rolled out quite stiff restrictions that have been gold plated by Health and Safety officers of employers, which in turn has further affected the behaviours of individuals, who are taking their cue on how scared to be from those in authority.

It is clear to anyone living here that we’ll have a recession, though you’re purely guessing if you think at this moment you can predict whether this will be a shallow V Shape or something else.

Because covid-19 had barely arrived outside Asia, most of the money in global markets has remained relaxed. But in Europe you are now starting to see cancellation of public events, impediments to short haul business and leisure travel and even short term visitors to affected areas being told to self isolate for 14 days. Monday’s market correction was overdue.

None of this should matter to long term investors, Tesla just raised $2.3bn of cash for only 1.5% dilution, equivalent to about 30 weeks of Opex. Well done Tesla.

But not everyone in the market has such a well structured balance sheet (I am largely uninterested what you see in S&P 500 4q’s, look more widely at SMEs and households, and at emerging markets that have been the engine of the last decade’s growth). There is a risk though hard to quantify, that this may yet be the trigger for a wider economic correction. Hope not but let’s see.

Outside of TSLA, personally I intend to ride the gilts and gold I’ve been holding a little longer and in the coming weeks gradually buy back into blue chip companies like APPL and global indices.

As for TSLA, you don’t think I’m selling at these prices do you?

Good post. I think people are underestimating China potential slowdown. Some regions may face contraction than any growth. A few facts from just today.

United suggested that there is near 100% cancelations for US China flights. Most meeting and travels have been postponed, investment being held back.

freeport Mcmoran CEO said that copper demand and price have fallen due to inventory build up.

we will see similar stories emerging.

Wow, so an apocalyptic plague only set TSLA back a week? That’s bullish AF.

Set us back a week? I guess that depends upon the date you use as the day the Corona virus got scary. A lot of people were selling weeks ago due to the growing Coronavirus "threat":

My financial advisor called me Monday to see if I was concerned about effects of the Corona virus to my investments. I wasn't, but I did take advantage of the opportunity and had him buy me another 36 shares of Tesla. I was wondering if I was being hasty, seeing as how it was at $561, more than double of my initial purchases. Four days later at $650 I'm thrilled!

I refrain from trying to trade around events like virus scares. The world is not ending and Tesla will be fine in the end. A fast-growing and highly innovative company like Tesla is growing share value faster than a virus scare can harm value. If anything, I use such events to provide better entry points for shares or calls.

What we are in now is a correction (that used Coronavirus as an excuse for what is a normal bull market correction) and most indicators show the bull market will resume shortly. The market loves volatility because it shakes a lot of nervous hands out of their shares on the cheap.

Got GorillaGrip(tm)?

It will be interesting to see Papafox's daily report to understand how much of today's action was short selling.
No need to wait. ;) Here's today's FINRA report: (Feb 24, 2020)

Code:
Date|Symbol|ShortVolume|ShortExemptVolume|TotalVolume|Market
20200224|TSLA|4065361|54760|7062587|B,Q,N

Decoded for you, the Feb 24, 2020 FINRA Report is:
  • 7.06M shares "Total Volume"
    • BTW, that's just 47.27% of NASDAQ PreMkt+Main Volume
    • Lot's of trades happen each day that are not reported by FINRA
  • 4.07M of FINRA vol reported as "Short Volume" (57.56%)
  • 54.76K shares reported as "Short Exempt Volume"
This last item isn't covered at all by the 3rd-Party source that @Papafox uses (they just omit it from their report, while reporting only the other two numbers). Today, there was 1.35% "Short Exempt" vs "Short Vol" => A.K.A. the amnt of 'naked shorting' reported in the FINRA data (we have no visibility into the rest of NASDAQ short trading).

Today's level of FINRA 'Naked Short Volume" is fairly typical: (the following Rankings are based on Feb 2020 sample data|Work in progress|Expect updated Stats)
  • Given 'Short Exempt' sample data: (from Feb 2020)
    • Mean: 1.09%
    • Stdev: 0.28%

• Feb 24, 2020 'Short Exempt Rank': 55th Percentile*
Compare this to:
  • Feb 5: 909.9K "Short Exempt Volume" (9.15% of Short Vol)
    • 'Short Exempt Rank': 194th Percentile*
  • Feb 6: 1.020.2K "Short Exempt Volume" (9.04% of Short Vol)
    • 'Short Exempt Rank': 192th Percentile*
Obviously, the 2 trading days during which the 'Uptick Rule' circuit breakers were in effect (Feb 5-6, 2020) should NOT have seen over 9% per day 'naked shorting', nor should we ever see the volume of short selling driving the price down with the uptick rule in effect.

The system failed on those days, or rather certain bad actors took advantage of their privileged position in the Market to defraud shareholders. Any legitimate investor should be outraged that the SEC has not announced an immediate investigation into this blatant abuse of the Market Makers' Short Selling exemption (AKA the 'Madoff Rule). @Hock1

Regards,
Lodger

*Note the the above results are part of a work in progress. Expect these stats to change as I add more data. I will present details as my time allows, until then I'm not going get bogged down with an extended discussion of applied descriptive statistics.

Last edited:
That seems high, source?

China's CATL unveils cell-to-pack battery platform - Xinhua | English.news.cn

A CTP battery can increase the system energy density from 180 Wh/kg to more than 200 Wh/kg. At the cell level, the energy density has already reached 240 Wh/kg in 2019, and by 2024 CATL aims to increase energy density to 350 Wh/kg.

I think it is true lots of very useful R&D is being done on batteries by may parties and the future looks bright for EVs and energy storage..

In that space Tesla is very well positioned for the next 5 years, and the next 5 years are where the race will be largely run and won..

Reactions: kbM3 and JRP3
A heads-up:

A daily feature on some (US) Public Radio feeds is a 20-minute long podcast called "The Daily". It originates from the NYTimes, and at least today's episode featured an interview with one their business correspondents, Andrew Ross Sorkin.

This episode is not yet open for streaming but I very strongly recommend it to all participants of this thread. Although titularly dealing with Larry Fink's blockbuster essay to the world's CEOs regarding climate change from the perspective as the head of the world's largest investment firm - BlackRock - in fact the essay probed the reactions to this by three of the planet's iconic and sector-leading firms: Amazon, Microsoft and Delta Airlines.

Here, possbily hiding behind a paywall, is the paper's print version of the podcast: Can Corporations Stop Climate Change?

One way or the other, read it and consider.