Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Executed just now. Selling puts is uncomfortable. Is the SP up yet!?!?!?
Selling long-term puts is a bit of a risky proposition since those puts will probably end up doubling in value over the next few months. Granted you are making 18% on your max-risk, which is quite good, but this ends up in one of two states:
- TSLA closes above $450 in Jan 22, so you don't actually get to buy those shares :'(
- TSLA is trading below $450 which brings into question the growth-rate of the company (I consider $450 to be severely depressed share price for 2022), in which case it might be that the fundamentals changed between now and then, and you don't want to be owning the stock :'( :'(

You can close them out when TSLA pops back to $900, but you'd probably end up making way more if you had just bought the $900 Jan 22 calls instead.
Plus if we do see TSLA at $450 between now and then, you can't actually buy those 100 shares because the cash-value of that would be tied up in underwriting the puts (unless you are okay with margin trading, and potentially being liquidated of your position in case of a black-swan event).

All of this to say, writing naked options (calls & puts) is scary. I tried to scrape some money this way, but it hasn't worked well for me, I don't have the stomach to see my positions at huge losses and feeling like I'm stuck and can't trade in and out as I'd like. I've found keeping things simple and trading momentum tends to work better for me. Good luck to you though. 18% ROI isn't too shabby, especially in the case where you are double dipping, and putting that 45k to work elsewhere (eg. SPY)

Humongous Tesla Battery Plant Approved In California Is 10× Bigger Than World’s Biggest Battery Plant (Australia's Hornsdale)

Humongous Tesla Battery Plant Approved In California Is 10× Bigger Than World's Biggest Battery Plant | CleanTechnica

Unless something changed, the Tesla contracted portion of the Moss Landing project was approved this week. It is 'only' a 182.5MW 4 hour 730 MWh system.
Overall project:
https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20180629_pge_proposes_four_new_cost-effective_energy_storage_projects_to_cpuc

The Dynegy/ Vistra portion approved last year Moss Landing mega battery project faces environmental challenge from union group. is the 300 MW / 1.2 GWh portion.

However, Dynegy/ Vistra may be using Megapacks also Tesla Megapack to debut at giant energy project in California - Electrek

See also :Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

How is Carnival Cruise Lines stock actually up 3% today in this situation? This market makes no sense!
B/c you have highest YouTuber pumping the crap out of it and other folks listening to him and buying the DIP for the future opportunity and growth, when Coronavirus passes away, weather is nice, people will go back to taking Cruise vacation.
If I didn't know about TSLA would have also considered buying CCL at the current level with oversold RSI.

So I noticed that this week various data sources which were reliably rock-steady previously are proforming poorly, often with 15 sec lag and data dropouts. Yahoo, NASDAQ (Edgar Online). Even the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE) closed hours early yesterday due to a self-described 'glitch':

Technical glitch halts trading on TSX, other exchanges... | TorontoSun.com

So I have to ask, is this delay the new normal with broker 'front-running' all trades now, or is their something else afoot? Any body tracking their Trade execution times? Seen any notable changes in execution speed? TIA

Cheers!

Bought some at 620. Primed for more keep it coming.
Great timing. I got in at 630 today. And I just used my paid off Tesla to get auto loan at 1.99% APR and took out savings money to ready to buy more TSLA stocks if it goes down. $80k ready for month of March. Every time there is a DIP, I will buy. I goal is to get 300 shares of TSLA. Currently only have 150 TSLA which I am not going to sell. Well even if I wanted can't really due to capital gains tax reason. (as I already have over $100k+ in other stock gains this year) If sell any more TSLA I will have to pay too much taxes. In anycase, 150 more to go. lol

breaking news:

Corona virus has infected this thread. Moderators have all but given up to contain it!
It's ok, it's only going to kill the weak longs. ;)

B/c you have highest YouTuber pumping the crap out of it and other folks listening to him and buying the DIP for the future opportunity and growth, when Coronavirus passes away, weather is nice, people will go back to taking Cruise vacation.
If I didn't know about TSLA would have also considered buying CCL at the current level with oversold RSI.
He has been calling to buy CCL since before this, so I'm not surprised that he is doubling down. It makes sense but I'm waiting to make the plunge.