Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is excellent!
UK’s First Residential Avenue Fully Converted To Lamppost Charging

Siemens happily announced that together with ubitricity and Westminster City Council, it has successfully converted all 24 lampposts into EV charging points using existing city infrastructure along Sutherland Avenue (over half a mile in length) in London.

It's the UK’s first residential avenue, coined ‘Electric Avenue, W9’, with all lamppost turned into charging points.

A further two adjoining roads are due to be completed in the coming weeks, while the Westminster City Council's overall goal is to increase the number of charging points from 296 currently to about 1,000 in 2020.
They're everywhere here. I live in Westminster council and most streets have had at least a couple of lamppost chargers built in for the the 4 years I've lived here. In fact, when looking to buy a Tesla I looked up the Westminster council's website and you could recommend lampposts for charging to be installed. Ultimately, I didn't buy the car as driving is completely optional for my daily life and I got a dog, which is not very suitable for an M3. Will likely buy the Y when it comes to London.

Tesla auto demand is growing so rapidly they'll be fine through recovery. Not to mention there's no real profits in automobiles, they're about to start printing money on energy products.

Can you expand upon "there's no real profits in automobiles"? This makes me wonder if you've been reading Tesla's financial statements and whether you understand volume efficiencies, the decreasing cost curves and the size of the addressable market.

Potential profits just from automobiles are huge. While I agree that the potential profits from the energy side of the business dwarfs that of auto, profits from the energy side of the business will not be larger than autos for a few years, at a minimum. As such, they must be discounted for time and uncertainties. Auto profits are ramping now.

Can you expand upon "there's no real profits in automobiles"? This makes me wonder if you've been reading Tesla's financial statements and whether you understand volume efficiencies, the decreasing cost curves and the size of the addressable market.

Potential profits just from automobiles are huge. While I agree that the potential profits from the energy side of the business dwarfs that of auto, profits from the energy side of the business will not be larger than autos for a few years, at a minimum. As such, they must be discounted for time and uncertainties. Auto profits are ramping now.
You can make a bit of money, maybe enough to justify $100B valuation. And yes, it does seem as though Tesla vehicles will be much more of a platform than a vehicle and they may end up with a far higher marketshare than expected, but that still only gets to to $150-250B in rational valuation.

The thing that takes us from $150B to $1.5T is primarily Energy and other EV/renewables services we have even touched yet. I'm excited that these are no longer premium priced "nice to have" offerings. Getting solar+battery+EV from Tesla can save a family tons of cash right from the point of sale. I think they'll do well in a mild recession just on the other side of peak oil.

They're everywhere here. I live in Westminster council and most streets have had at least a couple of lamppost chargers built in for the the 4 years I've lived here. In fact, when looking to buy a Tesla I looked up the Westminster council's website and you could recommend lampposts for charging to be installed. Ultimately, I didn't buy the car as driving is completely optional for my daily life and I got a dog, which is not very suitable for an M3. Will likely buy the Y when it comes to London.

Thanks. The linked article has basically no information:
How much power can be drawn from such a lamppost stall?
What is the cost of charging there?

Mod - Left up only as YET ONE MORE TIME an example of why OT posts are anathema to this thread.
The first one was marginally useful to Tesla and the Market. This next one adds zero value; it just becomes a chase down a rabbit hole and turns this thread into a chat room. NO.

Stumbled on this gem of "journalism" from Reuters. If you're not an algobot and capable to read beyond the FUDdy headline, hidden beneath the alternative facts is actually a bit of good news:

Data from China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) showed Tesla sold around 3,900 vehicles in February, up from 2,620 vehicles in January

Tesla's China car registrations fall 35% month-on-month in February

You can make a bit of money, maybe enough to justify $100B valuation. And yes, it does seem as though Tesla vehicles will be much more of a platform than a vehicle and they may end up with a far higher marketshare than expected, but that still only gets to to $150-250B in rational valuation.

Wait a minute...You just admitted that rationally valuing Tesla auto profits could get us above the valuations of Apple, Costco, Netflix, Berkshire Hathaway, Starbucks, and 3M (all combined)? I would say that is some serious back-tracking on the idea that there are no real profits in autos.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kbM3
Mod - Left up only as YET ONE MORE TIME an example of why OT posts are anathema to this thread.
The first one was marginally useful to Tesla and the Market. This next one adds zero value; it just becomes a chase down a rabbit hole and turns this thread into a chat room. NO.

The mods do a great job here overall (and it's not an easy job) please do continue deleting posts deemed off-topic - but please don't send the message to our most valued members that they are not welcome here! I'm sure that wasn't the intention, but in the heat of the moment, I'm sure it did come across that way.

Last edited:
I have a HELOC about to close in 7-10 days that would let me replenish my margin. I've been knife catching between 700s to 500s (ouch) and been dangerously close to getting margin-called last week when stock was in the 300s. It's been a stressful week, can't wait to HELOC to close fast enough so I can relax.

I'm not going to tell you what to do.

Margin playing TSLA in this market is the definition of playing with fire.

Throw some more gasoline on the fire, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm not going to tell you what to do.

Margin playing TSLA in this market is the definition of playing with fire.

Throw some more gasoline on the fire, what could possibly go wrong?

Color me dumb. You might get burned? Not wise to light the fire of your own cremation, someone like Buddha might have said. But one exception, the monks who did so as a protest about the Vietnam War. They had a higher purpose than greed. Think about what you do. As Buddha said, "be in the present."

Stumbled on this gem of "journalism" from Reuters. If you're not an algobot and capable to read beyond the FUDdy headline, hidden beneath the alternative facts is actually a bit of good news:

Data from China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) showed Tesla sold around 3,900 vehicles in February, up from 2,620 vehicles in January

Tesla's China car registrations fall 35% month-on-month in February

Wow! That article is a real journalistic mess (purposeful FUD). But, yeah, super bullish:

Overall auto sales in China plunged 79.1% in February, marking their biggest ever monthly decline, as a coronavirus pandemic hit demand, industry data showed.

However, data from China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) showed Tesla sold around 3,900 vehicles in February, up from 2,620 vehicles in January

Summary:

Total auto sales in China down a whopping 79.1% in January while Tesla sales were up 48.9% over the same period.

Interpretation:

1) Auto sales are not doing well in China
2) People are holding off on buying a car until they can get their hands on the newest car to hit their market, a Made in China Model 3 or the upcoming Made in China Model Y.

Go Tesla:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Wait a minute...You just admitted that rationally valuing Tesla auto profits could get us above the valuations of Apple, Costco, Netflix, Berkshire Hathaway, Starbucks, and 3M (all combined)? I would say that is some serious back-tracking on the idea that there are no real profits in autos.
I clearly said Energy and related services.