Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon states that battery day will just be about batteries, not the plaid powertrain.
I'm a little bit hyped that they will focus on batteries, means they really have to show impressive stuff.

upload_2020-4-13_10-23-11.png

Last edited:
Elon states that battery day will just be about batteries, not the plaid powertrain.
I'm a little bit hyped that they will focus on batteries, means they really have to show impressive stuff.

View attachment 531896
Hmph. I was about to post that the one-month delay to Battery Day increases the likelihood of my theory being right. (my theory being, there will be a switch at the assembly line to be able to produce Plaid vehicles, and there'd be an increased likelihood of a product announcement at the May Battery Day)

I was likely wrong anyway, so following Elon's tweets, I hereby shelve my theory LOL

Still hoping the upcoming infrastructure improvements to the paint shop will allow them to add another colour back to the range of choices. (SILVER!)

Not concerned about TSLA's 2% drop from the highs of Thursday evening. There is always a lot of news over the weekend these days, it's hard to predict what'll happen.

I also get a little hyped when Tesla starts digging up their parking lots.
upload_2020-4-13_12-33-20.png

Compare daily satellite images of Tesla production locations

Went through the last 12 months of Storey county planing commissions meeting reports, but didn't find anything.
The board of commissioners meetings of the last months didn't address this either(not searchable...).
Agenda Center

Could be that all required permits were already granted years ago and they can start expanding whenever they like. But could be that this is nothing and I wasted your time.

TSLA up on to $579 pre-market... where is the $595 post market price of last Friday ? :(

By the way, I use ETrade, how come my pre-market order doesn't go through, even I sell at a lower pridced of shown "Asked" price?

I have an E*TRADE account where I keep a small amount of funds. I had to speak to a broker/representative to get permission to trade after hours. Only takes a few minutes.

I'm excited to ee what happens at battery day, but am starting to think that it may not lead to the immediate stock jump that it might justify.
Elon is very results-focused. He doesnt really care about the SP in the next 5 years. He wants to get to MASS production of EVs, has seen the competition fail to match him, and is, I believe reluctantly, trying to fill global EV demand purely from Tesla...

Looking at recent progress with M3 and MY range, and looking at the stats we all know and love about the longevity of teslas batteries, and knowing already that these things are super safe, I think there are only two metrics tesla care about now regarding batteries:

Cost
&
Total Supply.

Frankly costs are dropping fast enough already. The M3 is pretty competitive and I suspect actual build cost of the model Y is lower than they let on, with the increased automation possibilities of the new wiring, and the simpler casting system. I reckon the Y could drop in price quite a bit, but the demand is so high they are just banking the profits. In other words... I think Tesla are already doing pretty good on battery Cost, So...

I reckon battery day will be supply focused. They will have found a way to make a LOT of batteries, and maybe have taken steps to secure their own supplies of raw materials. It will be all about 'here is how me make batteries for a million cars a year', and I suspect the market may fail to understand that tesla NEEDs that, because yes, they are going to produce a staggering number of EVs.

Here on the forum, we are aware of all the problems the other carmarkers have sourcing even the pitiful number of batteries they need for their compliance efforts, but i suspect most analysts are not. Thus I think Battery day may be GREAT news for long term investors, but i'm not sure wall street will get it.

This is an amazing video, well worth watching. He refers to EVs as "Electronic Vehicles" and confuses the Cybertruck with the Tesla Semi, but his major points are valid and refreshingly realistic about Tesla and TSLA. He's no Cathie Wood but gives some positive spin on the future of the company.

Great video - just so hard to watch when slightly out of focus!

Yar
Model X has been 100% deductible for businesses the first year for a few years now.
However,
is a bit inaccurate since it is a deduction against income, not a tax credit. So not free, but rather (1-taxRate) savings... At least until you sell the asset.
I should have mentioned that. It is also wise to clarify that it is all a deduction. One requires reported income to realize the benefit. For those who are not familiar with US tax law arcania, those deductions can create tax losses that can be carried back for prior years or forward for future years. This system allows many to go decades paying little to no US Federal tax. A very specific point is that there are a number of highly specific legal devices that help avoid the need for Alternative Minimum Tax. Such schemes do tend to be specific to certain investment classes, generally favoring real estate investors more than many others. The Model X effectively was classified as a commercial vehicle under the US 2019 Federal tax code because the GVW was >6000lb.
I attach a Ford dealers extract just to emphasize that this was intended to benefit fleet buyers, but structures so Congress could claim it was for small business. Of course Model X became a pretty cheap choice for those who could claim business use. A quick check will should Model X owners include many, many doctors, dentist, accountants, real estate investors and others who could use the depreciation benefit, thus yielding a number of fleet sales. Of course, that still did not make a Model X cheaper than a Chevrolet Suburban.

Are you saying that the shorts always thought Elon could achieve his goals but he’d only be late? That’s not my impression from them.
I don't see it as clear cut to assume those that criticize also short the company. There's probably 4-5 levels of Tesla awareness starting with recognize the name to Chanos level of illegal manipulation to destroy the company for financial gain.
I have discussions on other EV forums with plenty of level 3 & 4 haters, none of which have any financial exposure to TSLA but are quick to criticize anything they can find and as we know, there's no shortage of false reporting.
I'm in a dialogue on Rennlist currently with a group of level 4's that claim the $35k model was, is and always will be vaporware. These flat earthers are the type that will run with anything that supports their claim that Tesla is a sh!tshow in everything they do. I chalk it up to desperation and fear but it feeds like minded haters.

I'm in a dialogue on Rennlist currently with a group of level 4's that claim the $35k model was, is and always will be vaporware. These flat earthers are the type that will run with anything that supports their claim that Tesla is a sh!tshow in everything they do. I chalk it up to desperation and fear but it feeds like minded haters.

Um, those "flat-earthers" you are bantering with - did you know they are probably Russian web-bots? ;)

Mark Melnick live right know,,, looks like he finally got it!

I'm sorry but who is this guy? Hardly any views at all and laughable production quality. I'm sure I'm just ignorant so someone please enlighten me why it's good that this character suddenly figured out TSLA = good.

Something Tesla could do, IMHO, if it wants to create a "sale" without reducing ASP, would be to offer like 4 free shares with the purchase of a Tesla for the next 200k customers.... could be a way to leverage Tesla's high sales/market cap ratio. This would only require a 0.4% dilution.

Too bad that same line of thinking couldn't be used to boost production. Because you can't sell more cars than you can make.

BTW, under GAAP accounting rules, your scheme would lower ASP's.

I think there are only two metrics tesla care about now regarding batteries:

Cost
&
Total Supply.

Frankly costs are dropping fast enough already.
You have to imagine that the raw materials costs for everything are falling through the floor. Not only for steel but aluminium, nickel and all the other metals used for batteries. Perhaps Tesla can buy some using its cashpile at rock-bottom prices?

I notice TSLA is jumping up a little bit... I wonder if that is a reaction to the bad news out of Ford.

Reactions: UncaNed