Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea that we can't solve any problems

Thank you Tony, FU Michael Moore! We can solve problems. It may not always be a straight path, but we will clean up our mess and improve our planet.
Why the hell make a movie saying we are doomed. If you really believe that crap drink yourself to death or die from a Ice cream OD.
But don't make a stupid ass movie so you can make a few bucks...unless you don't have enough Ice cream to OD on.

But really is it that hard to understand the extremely long tail of damage from fools fuel vs clean renewable energy?
Makes me sad to be a human.

Looked like a coordinated bear attack there from 705 to 673. Stopped right before 10% where the uptick rule would trigger
Lol, only slightly less tedious than sheltering in place while playing 'sad dog, happy dog' in yer car... ;)
Looks exactly like our 11 year old Zoey IMG_0461.2014-06-03_015118.jpg when she was younger..

Cheers!

I wonder if this "face to face" work environment is a manufacturing innovation developed by Toyota some years back to increase productivity? It makes sense that if workstations can be designed to maximize "teamwork" and make each worker feel like they working with another human on a minute-by-minute basis it could lead to better worker engagement, more accurate assembly with fewer errors and higher productivity.

If so, and if this is a "innovation" not adopted by Tesla (who was either too focussed on automation or was not aware of the concept), then it could put Tesla at a competitive advantage in terms of being able to build cars at nearly the same rate as BCV (before coronavirus) without increasing the spread of the virus. All while Toyota may have to make significant chages to the way their production line is designed to reduce the risk of viral spreading.​

I don’t recall seeing any face to face workers in any of the video clips from Tesla.

E*Trade sent me a notification this morning:

TSLA, (Trade) has been downgraded by BofA/Merrill as a underperform at 485.0.

Great, thank you! Time to buy :p
"Tesla (TSLA) Downgraded by Bank of America, Automakers Aligning on Production Restarts, China NEVs" | Tesla Daily Podcast • Rob Mauer (6:35)

Yeah, I wish we could add comments to questions and have them edited and/or combined with duplicate ones. Also, I would like to be able to downvote questions that I don't think should be asked.

They should also be limited to one question and one follow-up.

This would be great! Because right now the second most up voted question is:

Will Tesla owners get priority when it comes to being early release beta testers for Starlink terminals. And will those owners with the most Tesla products get the highest priority? Asking for a friend.

So cringe... it's like Adam Jonas in retail investor form :eek: This doesn't belong in a TSLA earnings call.

At least the 2 institutional questions so far are outstanding:

What are the most important changes to the factory you made during the shut down and how do they impact production capacity and new product development?

Andy Grove once said that great companies are improved by crises. In which way(s) has Tesla improved or is expected to improve coming out of Covid-19?

The one person on there said that we would have been better off just burning coal than to produce the solar panel. He conveniently leaves out the materials needed to produce a coal plant.

I thought it was a horrible misleading film. It does a lot of damage by amplifying half truths about almost every effort to find better solutions. If they had not been banging on the Kochs so much, I would have thought they had funded it.

Moore said he was doing the editing so he had a lot to do with what it says (from Colbert show). They say solar and wind generate few jobs, present solar as a scam pretty much. 8% efficient cells made from Mined coal & quartz. Biomass just burning down the forests. Batteries keep those evil mining companies in business and only last a few years - implying they can’t be recycled.

I kept waiting for a turn in perspective but it did not seem to happen. Trashed Al Gore, Bill Mckibben, Elon Musk, Vermont, Germany, Sierra Club, Richard Branson (I think), music promoters and generally the entire green and renewable effort.

Moore seems to be unable to see a way to the future and wanted to make a movie about it. He needs to do better, “shivering in the dark” was already used by Reagan but that seems to be fine with Moore.

Apple is a marketing company. They understand the value of greenwashing, so they stick solar panels on the roof of their headquarters. Whoop-de-do. We are talking about the company who literally invented the whole idea of soldering batteries permenantly into the phone or ipad or laptop to make it impossible to buy replacements, and create a technological waste mountain. They are the company who are wolrd leaders in tax avoidance. They are the company who are world leaders in having shiny, clean-looking products made in what amounts to sweatshop conditions in the cheapest country they can find.

Teslas mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy to save mankind from climate change.
Apples mission is to just make as much money as possible, and pay as little of it in tax or wages as they can.

The day apple get involved with tesla is the day I sell every single share I own, and the car too.

That’s poppycock - Apple is one of the largest taxpayers in the USA.

and bailing on Tesla if Apple in anyway got involved?

So if Apple gave Tesla tens of billions in prepayments to develop new terabattery factories in exchange for multi year battery supply deal (Apple does this with suppliers, lends billions years in advance to develop capacity) - then you would sell all your Tesla stock and your Tesla vehicles, even though Tesla would be in a far stronger position to accelerate its own plans?

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face type of situation.

I thought it was a horrible misleading film. It does a lot of damage by amplifying half truths about almost every effort to find better solutions. If they had not been banging on the Kochs so much, I would have thought they had funded it.

Moore said he was doing the editing so he had a lot to do with what it says (from Colbert show). They say solar and wind generate few jobs, present solar as a scam pretty much. 8% efficient cells made from Mined coal & quartz. Biomass just burning down the forests. Batteries keep those evil mining companies in business and only last a few years - implying they can’t be recycled.

I kept waiting for a turn in perspective but it did not seem to happen. Trashed Al Gore, Bill Mckibben, Elon Musk, Vermont, Germany, Sierra Club, Richard Branson (I think), music promoters and generally the entire green and renewable effort.

Moore seems to be unable to see a way to the future and wanted to make a movie about it. He needs to do better, “shivering in the dark” was already used by Reagan but that seems to be fine with Moore.
In the long run we're all dead, of course. For humans to survive many more centuries this planet will have to be "light industry" only. Mining will be done on asteroids, probably (this is what Bezos believes). In the meantime all humans should ignore Moore and as Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush once sang "don't give up" o_O wait, that song was partially inspired by unemployment in the British coal mining industry. The Thatcher 80's :oops: was this off-topic :rolleyes:

So now that Say.com has opened up the period to submit questions for the Q1 investor call, is there anything that we really need to ask? (Sadly most of the questions submitted are always low quality or duplicative.) But hey they don't drop to the AJ level. :eek:

I'd personally love to see a question asked about the plans concerning the Tesla Network. Like, what are their plans about releasing the ride sharing app before FSD/robotaxi? A few remarks:

1. As a Tesla owner I love all the excuses I can get to drive the car.
2. If I could get paid for it, even if it would be only a small compensation, would be awesome.
3. As a TSLA owner wouldn't hurt to see Tesla earn a little bit of more (high margin) revenue, powered by the owners community.

-H

Ooooh, so he's a billionaire. That's where Nikola gets its funding, and why it hasn't gone under yet.

Wikipedia:

Wait what now? I didn't know a business skilled in vaporware, questionable PR, and suing Tesla could be valued at $3B.

There's no way this company doesn't end up like Faraday, Fisker, etc.

Last year, Milton shelled out $32.5 million for a 2,600-acre luxury ranch in Utah, where he grew up. The property has a 16,800 square-foot river-front mansion with eight bedrooms, 8.5 baths, a lofted billiards room, movie theater, wine cellar and gym.

Milton has said his property-buying is only beginning. The company said he splits his time between Phoenix and Utah.

“I plan on picking up multiple other properties like this one in order to preserve Utah and offer a sanctuary for my family, friends and others to enjoy,” he wrote in an email to the website Mansion Global. “I feel like my generation is asset light, wants smaller everything and is moving to cities, which is the opposite of what I wanted in life.”

The guy is already starting to cash in without having built a product yet.

Isn’t Moore A big UAW guy though? I know he’s a democrat and all, but he might be somewhat in bed with big auto

That’s poppycock - Apple is one of the largest taxpayers in the USA.

and bailing on Tesla if Apple in anyway got involved?

So if Apple gave Tesla tens of billions in prepayments to develop new terabattery factories in exchange for multi year battery supply deal (Apple does this with suppliers, lends billions years in advance to develop capacity) - then you would sell all your Tesla stock and your Tesla vehicles, even though Tesla would be in a far stronger position to accelerate its own plans?

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face type of situation.

If you saw the video with Rob and Dave, they covered this...

Apple, Google and Amazon were rated as potential competition to Tesla.

A key difference IMO is Telsa could easily do everything Apple and Google currently do, most of it is just software...

Apple with Steve Jobs could perhaps do everything Tesla does...

But as things stand, I think Apple and Goolge would find it hard to do what Tesla does...

Amazon.... Telsa would struggle to do what Amazon does, and Amazon would struggle to do what Telsa does, but set that task, both companies have the drive, motivation, persistence and talent, to do it.

IMO Telsa skated on thin ice over a frozen river, that ice has since melted, and the river is a raging set of rocky rapids....

Assuming Amazon wants to play, my guess (for 10-15 years time) is:-
1. Tesla
2. China (BYD/CATL?)
3. VW
4. Amazon - Rivian + whatever else they buy...
5. Korea

I like Apple but I can't think of a new product of major innovation from Apple recently, and the car industry is a tough business, I guess Apple could buy GM or Ford and throw a big pile of money at it... might come off but we are talking lots on money and a lot of risk...

Look at the Munro tear down... there are lots of design decisions.... lots of parts, that is before we even consider putting everything together and getting the software working..

What Apple or Google could easily do is wrote software for cars... writing a whole car solution from scratch, car makers could buy that and put it in cars... perhaps they could enter into a partnership to build cars...

Never say never, but Apple might be better off cutting a deal and investing in Tesla.
Fund a GF for car/battery production and take a cut of the profits... high capital investment, but low risk...

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and Fobble
I don’t recall seeing any face to face workers in any of the video clips from Tesla.
Having been at the factory, they are well distanced from each other, but can see other teammates.
Exceptions i observed at the metal press, where there was a group og 8-10 ppl, and the station where they attach doors to x/s which i remember being a bit dense.
Even in cafeteria, there was enough space.

So now that Say.com has opened up the period to submit questions for the Q1 investor call, is there anything that we really need to ask? (Sadly most of the questions submitted are always low quality or duplicative.) But hey they don't drop to the AJ level. :eek:

Since leaving E*trade, I'm finally able to connect my account to my Say account and ask questions and give upvotes! Yay!

Of course now we have a poor selection, haha. A lot about the COVID-19 and it's impacts. I tossed in a question that's, if nothing else, different than the others already asked.

Never say never, but Apple might be better off cutting a deal and investing in Tesla.
Fund a GF for car/battery production and take a cut of the profits... high capital investment, but low risk...
Why would Elon want to make a deal with Apple? Raising capital from the market is not a problem and doubtful to become one in the future. Maybe for the first GF in Nevada when Tesla was still wobbly but that ship has sailed.

I don't see an obvious entry into the auto hardware business for Apple. After missing out on an opportunity with Tesla several years ago, they aren't dumb enough to buy a legacy auto maker. IMO, it's too late for them to start building from scratch.