Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't judges in the US sometimes financially incentivized to lock people up? Or was that just in the show Billions?

And aren't doctors sometimes financially incentivized to prescribe certain drugs in the US? Through pharmaceutical companies?

Correct me if I'm wrong on these two, but if they're true, it wouldn't seem that far fetched if there have been some instances where doctors were financially incentivized to intubate people.

First two are true, AFAIK. But if you read that post, you'll see that all doctors want is to intubate as little patients as possible and return to treating patients normally. Also because that's how they make their money. Not by having people on life support for weeks.

By the way, this is the reasoning by analogy Elon always warns about ;)

I can’t tell if Elon’s tweets are code for hes building a Gigafactory in Texas, and profit not secured or if he’s being literal and had no worries about earnings today and just went all in.

Yicai Global 第一财经 on Twitter

Looks like he talked about Shanghai production overnight also

I think it’s a mixed bag, great news out of China helping cancel out the covid19 impacts at Fremont. I’m guessing Elon wants to confirm the 2020 guidance but is probably being held back by his CFO and the board. Of course this is pure speculation.

I still believe Tesla will confirm something like 475K-500K deliveries for 2020. This is a great stage to make a huge statement that Tesla is ahead of the game and essentially be the shining star of the automotive industry. I don’t think Elon and his team will want to waste such a good opportunity.

Yeah
I invest in Tesla, not Elon. Guess I’ll leave it at that.
Tesla would not exist nor be where it is today without Elon. Everyone hating on his tweets, just remember you’re not as smart as he is nor do you process or have information as quickly and thoroughly as he does. Also, have some empathy.

Fear is a hell of a thing.

I can’t tell if Elon’s tweets are code for hes building a Gigafactory in Texas, and profit not secured or if he’s being literal and had no worries about earnings today and just went all in.

Yicai Global 第一财经 on Twitter

Looks like he talked about Shanghai production overnight also

Jus' sayin'. :D

To everyone outraged by Elon’s tweets, I can 100% confirm that he’s correct. I live in the hardest hit Canadian province and in the hardest hit city by Covid-19. The manufacturing company where I work has been deemed essential, so we continue to operate. And guess what? While a few people have been infected, NO ONE has died and all have recovered after a few days at home. The complete lockdown of everyone makes no sense as we know this virus has a much more severe impact on “older” people and those with pre-existing breathing issues (ex: smokers). So while I didn’t like the funding secured tweets, I don’t think he’s wrong this time. Common sense must be used, not knee jerk reactions caused by fear.

Nobody says he needs to be perfect, Fred. Some just want him to be less dumb!

I think this Reddit post explains the problem pretty well:
Elon Musk, a consistent COVID-19 skeptic, tweets FREE AMERICA NOW : teslamotors

The posts from reddit make it sound like Elon said physicians are purposely putting patients on ventilators to get more money even if they don’t need a ventilator.

I read the article itself as “if a person is on a ventilator, list COVID as the reason to get more money regardless.” That’s a bit different. I do agree with the reddit posts that hospitals would rather be fully open than to deal with the COVID situation alone. The hospitals are losing money. But the hospitals do not make the decision of whether to close the state. (Even though they are most likely consulted.) So it’s possible some administrators could be trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Probably a small number, but still.

The rant on the reddit page is upset about something that isn’t the case. And all Elon did was say “interesting”, to that USA Today article.

Twitter

To everyone outraged by Elon’s tweets, I can 100% confirm that he’s correct. I live in the hardest hit Canadian province and in the hardest hit city by Covid-19. The manufacturing company where I work has been deemed essential, so we continue to operate. And guess what? While a few people have been infected, NO ONE has died and all have recovered after a few days at home. The complete lockdown of everyone makes no sense as we know this virus has a much more severe impact on “older” people and those with pre-existing breathing issues (ex: smokers). So while I didn’t like the funding secured tweets, I don’t think he’s wrong this time. Common sense must be used, not knee jerk reactions caused by fear.

I will not post details as I want to keep this thread clean, but your COVID facts are a little dated. Read up on the impact populations. Not that it invalidates the overall message of your post.

I will not post details as I want to keep this thread clean, but your COVID facts are a little dated. Read up on the impact populations. Not that it invalidates the overall message of your post.

I guess you know best. It’s not like my government is releasing statistics about this...
upload_2020-4-29_8-55-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-29_8-55-8.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-29_8-55-8.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 43

I agree, and I’m personally taking the quarantine very seriously. A modern manufacturing plant can be run to minimize the chance of a virus spread.

Elon doesn’t suffer fools well, and he sometimes uses Twitter to vent when he should really take a breath, but this time I think there is more method to his madness. Governors, mayors and county pols are all polling very strongly for their strict lockdown approaches.

Change the public perception on lockdowns, and the politicians will be forced to think harder about how best to confront the virus, rather than opting to lockdown everything in blanket fashion.

Elon has a vast megaphone to influence public opinion, and he has decided now is the time to turn the volume to 11.

I guess you know best. It’s not like my government is releasing statistics about this...
View attachment 537038

Sigh. Wasn’t attacking you. Yes, age is number one risk factor. But surprisingly, people with lung issues and smokers are not showing higher rates of death as you would expect. This is left for obesity, cardiovascular issues, diabetes and kidney disease.

And I am sure your government statistics show that as well.

Sheesh people so touchy nowadays....

Pre-market bumped up just now after a Gilead virus-related news announcement. TSLA jumped a little. May get a nice ride through the day.

Elon has a lot of followers... probably not going to change any time soon -
Elon Musk | Twitter Statistics / Analytics | Trackalytics

IMO the only reason to reply to a Greg Abbott tweet (and not to tweets from lots of other political entities saying mostly the same type of thing) would be because Elon wants to butter him up.

Wow, Elon should really STFU:
Elon Musk on Twitter
This can do nothing but cause grief. Along with (Elon Musk on Twitter).

For those of you who don't do Twitter, that's "FREE AMERICA NOW" (yes, all caps) and "Bravo Texas!" in reply to a tweet stating that Texas is opening various businesses on Friday. Has he learned nothing?

Elon has a good heart and can not (fortunately or not) stay silent even if it is against the mainstream and politically correct code of conduct.
I like him the way he is, definitely not ripen to be a politician, but it is for good I guess.

I agree with the complete lockdown not making sense. Here in the Netherlands we're also not under a complete lockdown (most stores and businesses open/working from home) and we're doing fine.

The posts from reddit make it sound like Elon said physicians are purposely putting patients on ventilators to get more money even if they don’t need a ventilator.

I read the article itself as “if a person is on a ventilator, list COVID as the reason to get more money regardless.” That’s a bit different. I do agree with the reddit posts that hospitals would rather be fully open than to deal with the COVID situation alone. The hospitals are losing money. But the hospitals do not make the decision of whether to close the state. (Even though they are most likely consulted.) So it’s possible some administrators could be trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Probably a small number, but still.

The rant on the reddit page is upset about something that isn’t the case. And all Elon did was say “interesting”, to that USA Today article.

Twitter

Just for clarification...

Elon has NEVER been skeptical of COVID-19...never. To say so is disingenuous at best and slanderous at worst. He has questioned the reaction to it, that is all.

Dan

Look, Elon is calling articles like this 'interesting' a lot of times last weeks.

While he's not skeptic of the existence of the virus itself, he is questioning its mortality, possible treatments(/doctors!) and mitigation measures. In a very one-sided and downplaying, or ambiguous way. So I'm not surprised he's being framed as a 'COVID-19 skeptic'.

Yeah, hope so, but every single ****ing step in this bureaucratic nightmare has to be fought for.... The next Europe Giga should be in some other country (pehaps Netherlands, Poland...), this is ridiculous....

China, USA and the EU decide to have a party.

China says "I'll bring the hardware"
US says "I'll bring the software"
EU says "I'll bring the regulations"